Wubi/Ubuntu Question (2 Questions)

THEacekardFREAK1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys just 2 questions. First is after I installed Kubuntu Desktop on my Wubi Installation when I reboot to Ubuntu, the grub loader is blue and shows a kubuntu loading screen (instead of the regular purple menu and Ubuntu with the circles underneath) then proceeds to the normal Ubuntu login screen. I'm just wondering if that's normal after installing Kubuntu Desktop or is there something I have to change.

Ok second question. When I boot up ubuntu it says unable to mount media/windows press "S" to skip or "M" for manual recovery (or something like that) and I want it to stop saying that when I boot because it's annoying. Thanks for any help regarding my questions.
smile.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For the Kubuntu loading screen, I think it does that to everyone. Try:
Code:
$sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
You'll get something like:
There are 2 alternatives which provide `usplash-artwork.so'.

Selection Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
1 /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so
*+ 2 /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-kubuntu.so

Press enter to keep the default , or type selection number: 1
Using `/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu.so' to provide `usplash-artwork.so'[/p]

Choose the ubuntu usplash.
That's how I remember doing it a while back.

I'm not sure about your second issue, could you provide a bit more detail?

THEacekardFREAK1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty then. When I boot up my computer and load up to ubuntu, it shows the kubuntu logo and below it (this is even before kubuntu-desktop was installed) it says "An Error Occurred while mounting /media/windows Press "S" to skip or "M" for manual recovery."
When I press S it loads like normal and if I press M it shows a terminal so I can mount it manually. I'm wondering how to get rid of that error. Oh and I'll try that solution for question #1. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] When I tried the alternate splash it says:
"update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for usplash-artwork.so."

[EDIT2] I fixed the splash using Alternatives Configurator and changing text.plymouth from /lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-text.plymouth to /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text.plymouth

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Try using plymouth-manager to change that splash screen to anything you like. Saw your Edit #2

For your other issue, I really have no idea what's wrong.

I would personally recommend you to make an actual dual-boot setup. Not with Wubi. I find that a real Ubuntu install is much less buggy than a Wubi one. And I have a hunch it could solve your second issue.

THEacekardFREAK1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might try that in the future but I like having an ubuntu install that can be uninstalled instead of formatted and whatnot but thanks for the help I'll keep searching for a solution.

[EDIT] Well I fixed it. I guess I failed when I tried to mount my NTFS partition using fstab. So I removed my entry I put in there and Voila! it stopped showing the error. Well thanks for your help Pyrmon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-