Homebrew Question Writing Homebrew in C#

DarkOrb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey,

What do you think, how high is the possibility that we might be able to write Switch Homebrew in C#? I would really like to write Switch homebrew, but I don't want to learn another Programming Language.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the problem is not writing in C#, but having a C# compiler to convert your code to native CPU's language used by the console.
C and C++ compilers are the most used and maintained tools. I don't know if anyone ever made a C# compiler for nvidia's tegraX1.

edit:
I found this : https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z8bmj/developing_for_switch/
not sure it's helpful, but it talks about C# and switch. apparently, with Unity it's using C#, but it's not homebrew.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: CuriousTommy

Zm1231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you build your game in unity you can use c# but you would need to acquire the sdk for the switch as well as the export module for the switch for unity to be able to export you code to the switch you would also need to get a devkit to test and debug your build on. If you have the right criteria you could register with Nintendo's developer program to get access to all of it. Even sony offers a similar dev program but you need a corporate entity to apply with.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the problem is not writing in C#, but having a C# compiler to convert your code to native CPU's language used by the console.
C and C++ compilers are the most used and maintained tools. I don't know if anyone ever made a C# compiler for nvidia's tegraX1.

edit:
I found this : https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z8bmj/developing_for_switch/
not sure it's helpful, but it talks about C# and switch. apparently, with Unity it's using C#, but it's not homebrew.
Yeah C# is the main language for Unity and Unity is (beside Unreal 4) one of the official supported Switch engines. It was even supported on the Wii U and I was able to port a small Tower Defense game of mine to the Wii U because of the fact we have a CFW there and run unsigned titles (used Loadiine for debugging though as that was faster).
Since there's no CFW yet and no backup loader like Loadiine or USB Loader GX (that sort of thing) where you could run your Unity projects that you compiled using the official SDK, you'd need a Devkit as Cyan said or at least wait for atmosphere NX.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you build your game in unity you can use c# but you would need to acquire the sdk for the switch as well as the export module for the switch for unity to be able to export you code to the switch you would also need to get a devkit to test and debug your build on. If you have the right criteria you could register with Nintendo's developer program to get access to all of it. Even sony offers a similar dev program but you need a corporate entity to apply with.
He's asking about Homebrew. You cannot develop Homebrew if you sign the NDA, you will be developing an application to sell/publish on the Nintendo eShop.

Releasing creations outside of the Nintendo eShop made with the official dev tools means you risk a Cease and Desist, or if Nintendo isn't feeling kind, a lawsuit.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He's asking about Homebrew. You cannot develop Homebrew if you sign the NDA, you will be developing an application to sell/publish on the Nintendo eShop.

Releasing creations outside of the Nintendo eShop made with the official dev tools means you risk a Cease and Desist, or if Nintendo isn't feeling kind, a lawsuit.
We just told him the only way to do anything in C# for the Switch.
As Cyan said HB has to be in C/C++ only.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
We just told him the only way to do anything in C# for the Switch.
As Cyan said HB has to be in C/C++ only.
This was primarily aimed at slifer.

OP specifically asked about homebrew, not about the Switch SDK, which you can't intermix. Slifer answered with "You need the Switch SDK", which for homebrew is factually incorrect as you're not allowed to use the Switch SDK for homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, it seems that dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, they might be going...