Homebrew WPA game patching for DS games via nds-bootstrap.

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, patching DS games to work the DSi and 3DS's ability to use WPA protected networks is a personal dream of mine, so I decided to make some tip-toes towards this dream, first up is a list of games that have bugs and need to be fixed and have online support, there might be more games but here are the ones I have listed.
Note: If there is no reigion listed next to the games in brackets, that means that it applys to all reigions of the game listed in the nds-bootstrap compatability list, keep in mind that there may be more rigeons the game was released in but not listed in the compatibility list I was using to make this list, also keep in mind that some of these games might already have DSI support so do not need nds-bootstrap for the WPA patch.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Defiance
Call of Duty: World At War
Inazuma Eleven (EU)
Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard (EU)
Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm (EU)
Jam with the Band (EU)
Luminous Arc 2 (USA)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!
Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (USA)
Sideswiped (USA)
SimCity Creator (USA)
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
WarioWare: D.I.Y.
The second thing my theory as to how it might work.

So im thinking that its patched to view wi-fi configurations 4-6 (the ones that support WPA and are only on DSi and 3DS) as wifi configurations 1-3 (the ones that don't support WPA) and would lead into the a custom menu to change wifi connectios, same fetures, just now it only views configurations 4-6 so the game that can only see 1-3 views 4-6 by thinking they are 1-3, however thats just me, a guy that knows nothing about t programming for the DS family, if any of you want to pick up on this, that would be great.

P.S. THIS IS NOT A REQUEST

Reactions: Moon164

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just now it only views configurations 4-6 so the game that can only see 1-3 views 4-6 by thinking they are 1-3
If it was that easy, someone would have done it already.

however thats just me, a guy that knows nothing about t programming for the DS family, if any of you want to pick up on this, that would be great.

P.S. THIS IS NOT A REQUEST
So, it's just wild speculation from someone who knows nothing?

Reactions: orangy57

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was that easy, someone would have done it already.

So, it's just wild speculation from someone who knows nothing?
Well, yes ._. I don't know alot about it, I just wanted it to be more than a list of games, and ive crated other threads here about it and they all said that its possible but that they wouldn't attempted it until all games work flawlessly or at least all games that have online multi-player AND don't support WPA networks are fixed, thats why I made that list, safe to say, if you want to lean about DS coding I am the LAST person you would want to ask.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't even understand your list. Literally every DS game that uses the old Nintendo WFC does not support WPA, except for maybe the Gen V Pokemon games. Did those games you listed have specific bugs even on WEP?

ive crated other threads here
P.S. Creating more threads will not magically solve the problem any faster.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: ruffo

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even understand your list. Literally every DS game that uses the old Nintendo WFC does not support WPA, except for maybe the Gen V Pokemon games.
True, but let me correct you, its not only the Gen V games, its all DSiWare, DSi enhaced games and the very rare DSi exclusive games.
P.S. Creating more threads will not magically solve the problem any faster.
I know that, its just that the other threads DIED, so if I want to talk about it I need a new thread.

P.S. This will be the last thread I make on the subject, hopefully.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is so cool, one of the main reasons for not using Wiimmfi a lot is precisely because there are only few games that support WPA, it's really cool to see that kind of thing.

Last edited by Moon164,

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, very good. And how many of those used Nintendo WFC?
Atleast 12.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is so cool, one of the main reasons for not using Wiimmfi a lot is precisely because there are only few games that support WPA, it's really cool to see that kind of thing.
Yeah, but it limits your online play to those games, no wario ware DIY, no mkDS, no pokemon gen 4, all you have is pokemon gen 5, those other DSi enhanced games, DSi ware and the rare DSi exclusive games.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even if you are paranoid about security concerns, it is hardly a big deal to get a cheap router (secured with a MAC whitelist for good measure) for running in WEP mode during those brief intervals that you want to play DS games online – which is why I doubt the magical Internet elves are likely to deliver some other sort of fix for your "NOT A REQUEST".

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: ruffo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that this is possible. I only skimmed the first post btw. anyway, my router can't do wep nor can my phone. the only way to get the ds to work is to use no security, then password encrypt that and hide the ssid using a hotspot on my phone. I think that will work, but I haven't tried it.

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you are paranoid about security concerns, it is hardly a big deal to get a cheap router (secured with a MAC whitelist for good measure) for running in WEP mode during those brief intervals that you want to play DS games online – which is why I doubt the magical Internet elves are likely to deliver some other sort of fix for your "NOT A REQUEST".
Im not paranoid about security, like say if you walked in a McDonalds and you want to put wario ware DIY games in your warehouse, oops I cant its WEP, also buying an old router isnt something I can do and hotspots dont work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hope that this is possible. I only skimmed the first post btw. anyway, my router can't do wep nor can my phone. the only way to get the ds to work is to use no security, then password encrypt that and hide the ssid using a hotspot on my phone. I think that will work, but I haven't tried it.
Ive tried that so many times and it NEVER WORKS, hotspots just dont work.

Reactions: EdwardZeitgeist

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
like say if you walked in a McDonalds and you want to put wario ware DIY games in your warehouse
Even if they're WPA, the N3DS can't connect to captive portals like the ones they have at McDonalds at all - that's the page that comes up and says "Click here to continue". Considering how out-of-date the DSi web browser is, I wouldn't be surprised if it has trouble getting the page to load properly either. Maybe the o3DS would work.

More to the point, why would you do that..?

also buying an old router isnt something I can do
Yes, much easier to make more threads and make NOT REQUESTS to the Internet elves.

They're common enough at secondhand stores these days. (When they're not closed on account of the plague, anyway.)

would cygwin work with this somehow?
"Live" Linux distributions that boot from a CD or a USB drive are always an option.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I usually personally tend to do if I'm ever itching to play, like, Mario Kart DS is just tether data from my phone. It works well enough, I'd say, although it doesn't happen all too often.

That said, it would be awesome if someone eventually came out with an easy-to-use Windows program to accomplish the thing my Linux-challenged self couldn't. It's a shame DS multiplayer isn't horribly accessible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49byd81I_Y