cityson

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
i modded psp and xbox. they were easy. but wii is just crazy. i just want to play dvd backups. i don't care about the homebrew apps. here's what i did:

-installed homebrew channel. btw, got the screen upside down bug.
-installed dvdx, bootmii, and lots of ios which nobody knows what they are.
-tried to load new super smash bros. backup with gamma 8 beta 15. error 1148.
-tried different dvd-rs, rws. no go.
-patched iso with wiu 1.1. no go.

i have a 3.3u wii. is it one of those machines that doesn't read DVD no matter what?
what did i do wrong?
wacko.gif

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroHero said:
if you have rev 15 neogamma wont work at all.

Just get uloader 3.1 it plays DVDs

Or USB Loader GX
Or Configurable USB Loader

While they are USB Loaders, they also load DVD-R

I'd recommend one of the two I listed as they're known to be updated to work with NSMB.

And install cIOS222 as IOS38 merged with IOS37 using this installer:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m3brzwznzyn

cityson

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
i did what you guys said by installing cIOSCORP 3.5, then cIOS222. I still get error-2 using uloader 3.3.

so i blame the disc. now i'm getting stressed out and i want to try deadfox's method. but there's a problem.

before i go further, i must backup my nand. but once i launched hackmii, (i believe this installer has the backup feature) it won't continue. it saids i have an unsigned IOS. i think it was IOS36 or something.

so is there another way to backup the nand? i could access homebrew channel. Thanks for helping.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude there ARE SO MANY GUIDES for this... I know WII is a way different than a PSP or Xbox, hell even a xbox360, but the guides here are top notch (usually). SEARCH!

BOOTMII, use dop-ios to get a clean IOS, then run BOOTMII to install everything, that will fix your upside down HBC, nand backup, etc. by getting rid of the no ios found vunerable.

Wynd

vegemikee

Trophies
XP
Country
yes the hackmii installer installs bootmii.
but you shouldve done that first before playing with the IOS. it wont install because of cioscorp. i think it requires a clean IOS36 and 61. someone verify that for me?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bnwchbammer said:
If you don't wanna worry about anything else, I'd recommend cIOSCORP 3.5. You still need to get cIOS249 rev 14 I think though, so figure that out first.

If you want an easy life modding a wii, never install cioscorp. It will be less stress in the long run to get a mod chip. The ones that attach to your dvd drive cable perform just as well as (and as bad as) cioscorp. Both are limited to slow reading of dvd-r's, so if you like stuttering videos and slow loading times then go for it. A proper mod chip will give you full speed loading, but it's harder to fit. CIOSCorp will cause you problems and it's only advantage is you can load games (slowly) from the disc channel, so you can pretend that you bought the game when your mates come round.

The easiest and best performing option is loading from usb. Personally I'd just update the console to 4.2 using an online update from Nintendo if you can, although you should install the latest HBC and Waninkoko's CIOS first. You'll need to delete the stub IOS that Nintendo installed, but the guides on here should deal with that.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
smf said:
bnwchbammer said:
If you don't wanna worry about anything else, I'd recommend cIOSCORP 3.5. You still need to get cIOS249 rev 14 I think though, so figure that out first.

If you want an easy life modding a wii, never install cioscorp. It will be less stress in the long run to get a mod chip. The ones that attach to your dvd drive cable perform just as well as (and as bad as) cioscorp. Both are limited to slow reading of dvd-r's, so if you like stuttering videos and slow loading times then go for it. A proper mod chip will give you full speed loading, but it's harder to fit. CIOSCorp will cause you problems and it's only advantage is you can load games (slowly) from the disc channel, so you can pretend that you bought the game when your mates come round.

The easiest and best performing option is loading from usb. Personally I'd just update the console to 4.2 using an online update from Nintendo if you can, although you should install the latest HBC and Waninkoko's CIOS first. You'll need to delete the stub IOS that Nintendo installed, but the guides on here should deal with that.

I agree. USB loading is probably a better option. Time spent VS Enjoyment gaine? Just search for xzxerox in the member list and find his guide for updating/hacking.

cityson

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hey guys i was able to do a nand backup. woooooot! then i tried xzerox' guide but i got lots of error when installing wad files.

right now my wii's on 4.2u. i could use the homebrew channel but i couldn't load a burnt disc from the disc channel.

so is it possible to wipe everything i did and start from scratch?? i have the nand and keys.bin.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yes u can "wipe everything and start from scratch" by restoring a nand backup.

Butu have a lot of facts mixed up, and ur problems wont be solved by restoring your nand backup if u still dont know what your doing... make sure u follow xzxero's instructions carefully.

if u got errors installing wads, u either messed up the trucha bug restorer step or the any title deleter step, just repeat those, and make sure they finish successfully (just because they finished doesn't mean it worked).

also, new wii's cannot play games via backup disk, only via USB external hard drives. The older wii's use neogamma (or equivalent homebrew app) to launch disk backups... or an older wii can play backup disks via the disk channel if cioscorp is installed

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
CIOSCorp will cause you problems and it's only advantage is you can load games (slowly) from the disc channel
The easiest and best performing option is loading from usb.
cIOSCORP does not cause problems if you know how to use it.
The user puts his or herself into a problem with it.
Neogamma and Softchip, all disc backup loaders, read at 3x, because its running off of the cIOS, not IOS.
Original games read at 6x under an offical IOS.

I agree with the USB loading, its has read speeds up to 12x and its healthier for your wii overall.

cityson

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
xflak40 said:
yes u can "wipe everything and start from scratch" by restoring a nand backup.

Butu have a lot of facts mixed up, and ur problems wont be solved by restoring your nand backup if u still dont know what your doing... make sure u follow xzxero's instructions carefully.

if u got errors installing wads, u either messed up the trucha bug restorer step or the any title deleter step, just repeat those, and make sure they finish successfully (just because they finished doesn't mean it worked).

also, new wii's cannot play games via backup disk, only via USB external hard drives. The older wii's use neogamma (or equivalent homebrew app) to launch disk backups... or an older wii can play backup disks via the disk channel if cioscorp is installed

right, i don't know what went wrong. i followed the guide exactly but the wad manager and TBR gave me errors. e.g. can't downgrade to 15, can't install certain wad, etc.

i recall installing cIOSCORP 3.5 mm, dvdx, bootmii in boot2, and some other things way before using xzerox' guide. that's why i want to wipe everything and return to 3.3u if possible.

the guide said i can run DVD backups afterwards but so far i was not able to boot New Mario Bros. I know the image is proper because people who have softmodded wiis could play it on disc. it's like nothing has changed the wii. it won't even load a dvd movie or dvd media in general.

now i just need to find a USB drive big enough to test my game isos.

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are on 4.2 and miss out the trucha bug restorer step because it doesnt work most of the other steps will fail.

Posts merged

And if your on 4.2 and downgrade you will most likely brick. So dont go doing that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/X4H1s3wl7H4?si=NNFoCxhEtCIqiX9Y