Hacking would hit reply but I am locked out.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MR_REAN: your comment about the kernel exploit allowing you to play online in 5.3.2 with the disc updates.....Enjoy it because the servers are also getting some new security added real soon.
Well at least that's what the word is.
Just wait til the update comes that holds the leach.
(If you don't know what that is I'll explain it). Basically you pay a service like lets say comcast, att, verizon...ect to use internet at a higher band than what the customer is using thus they remain unaffected.
That service then allows the lessee in this case that would be nintendo to use it at given times to apply patches, updates, and system critical items. It's kinda like when someone pulls up by your house and you have no password on your router. The difference being you have no idea that it happens and it is completely legal. And since it runs in the background you have no idea it even took place unless you check the version that is if they feel like changing that in any way. It also allows you to continue gaming without interruption. The real funny part about it is if you want to play any games that come out after 2016 or go online you will have no choice but to take the update. Because without that system in place the ability to go online will be impossible. And all the 2016 and after games will be unplayable without the update occurring because it will be on the disc.....lol.
So again enjoy while you still have it.
And keep in mind the leach will be coming soon.

OatmealDome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're saying is that your Internet provider will run Nintendo update servers and the Wii U will download updates automatically...? Isn't that what happens already except the ISP has no part in it? Hell, my Wii U just updated to 5.5.0 in sleep mode. Nintendo also already forces the latest firmware by requiring you to be on the latest firmware to download games (and game updates).

loco365

Trophies
XP
So what you're saying is that your Internet provider will run Nintendo update servers and the Wii U will download updates automatically...? Isn't that what happens already except the ISP has no part in it? Hell, my Wii U just updated to 5.5.0 in sleep mode. Nintendo also already forces the latest firmware by requiring you to be on the latest firmware to download games (and game updates).
Yup. It downloads and installs them in the background. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it's their solution to make sure nobody can stay on an older, more exploitable firmware.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Also its extremely unrealistic for nintendo to get ISPs to allow them to update all nintendo products over the heads of their customers. ISPs would lose customers and face backlash.
Not to mention the sheer volume of ISPs in the world. And I doubt Nintendo would be the first to think of this, I wouldnt be surprised if other companies have thought of this method before. It jsut isnt feasible.

Also, if you block nintendo's services in your modem, nothing will get through.

Last edited by EmceeKerser,

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
@MR_REAN: your comment about the kernel exploit allowing you to play online in 5.3.2 with the disc updates.....Enjoy it because the servers are also getting some new security added real soon.
Well at least that's what the word is.
Just wait til the update comes that holds the leach.
(If you don't know what that is I'll explain it). Basically you pay a service like lets say comcast, att, verizon...ect to use internet at a higher band than what the customer is using thus they remain unaffected.
That service then allows the lessee in this case that would be nintendo to use it at given times to apply patches, updates, and system critical items. It's kinda like when someone pulls up by your house and you have no password on your router. The difference being you have no idea that it happens and it is completely legal. And since it runs in the background you have no idea it even took place unless you check the version that is if they feel like changing that in any way. It also allows you to continue gaming without interruption. The real funny part about it is if you want to play any games that come out after 2016 or go online you will have no choice but to take the update. Because without that system in place the ability to go online will be impossible. And all the 2016 and after games will be unplayable without the update occurring because it will be on the disc.....lol.
So again enjoy while you still have it.
And keep in mind the leach will be coming soon.

All signals eventually come through a modem and are converted to a digital signal. And since your Wii U sits, in a network, off the router, behind the modem, the signal it receives has already been reduced to binary. I don't think have any understanding signal propagation, modulation or anything to do with the RF spectrum. But thanks for playing.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All signals eventually come through a modem and are converted to a digital signal. And since your Wii U sits, in a network, off the router, behind the modem, the signal it receives has already been reduced to binary. I don't think have any understanding signal propagation, modulation or anything to do with the RF spectrum. But thanks for playing.
Actually, I have a very comprehensive understanding of how wireless signal works. Currently the new comcast and att in home modems support an access point for other comcast subscribers to use that has no effect on your speed. It's a DAP (dual access point). Phones also carry DAP as well.
There are many services that offer occasional use as well. Like lets say you don't have internet access at home or you are blocking urls through your router. This function could be set to connect when normal connection for update cannot be obtained. Then the os looks for a suitable signal. Whether it be your own router with alternative access, your neighbors internet, or a cell phone. It has no effect on your internet speed or quality so fear of getting mad subscribers isn't even an issue. It's already happening on some other platform software. Basically for a service to be paid like this on a non routine basis they would probably only be looking at spending 900.00 US a month. And that would cover around 85-90 percent of their consoles in the wild. As cheap as these services have become it would be a real shocker if it wasn't seen on the wii u.
And the funny thing is if you complain about it you would be basically telling whoever you are complaining to that you had plans to violate TOS.
Almost all wireless card also have a dual access point as well thus activating this for update purposes would leave your connection un altered.
And that's how you would never know it was happening.
An even simpler way for them to solve their update issue would be to force the console to call out to one of your blacklisted urls and wait for a response prior to allowing internet connectivity. This would cost them pennies and all of about 3 lines of code. And would force you to unblock at least one url to play online.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This the same thing Microsoft did to JTAG users in their spring 2011 update. After the update, whenever I tried to connect it would say couldn't connect to xbox live, it took a year just to find out how to bypass the checks. Lol it was so bad people was charging 500 for online time with the bypass, because they knew if they released for free Microsoft would patched a new code..

Good thing as time pass the online service bypass gotten cheaper, and Microsoft stop patching because people i the 360 scene was finding out faster how
to bypass it

Hopefully this doesn't come to Wii U though because it's gonna be gruesome

I also wonder does Nintendo now has the ability to silent patch their system without prompting us for an update, hmmmm
Currently if you have the correct paths blocked or you have no internet connected no. If you don't then it is completely possible for them to apply an update without you giving the ok. I think somewhere in the 5.0 range of firmware the ability to bypass the update while sleeping came around. (as in you can tell it not to but it still could)
One of the other things I forgot to mention in the OP was word is all disc updates to play online are going to also force the update firmware through the disc update. (that is if they are obtained online)
Funny thing is nobody publicly has found the console specific keys. Nintendo has two ways of banning a console and currently they aren't using the console key ban. Replacement of these keys is what paid for hackers are looking for. You have any idea how much money has been made on microsoft key vaults? It's a ton.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
I think he mean silent patching without the user knowing

Wait!!I thought Nintendo already had that implemented by now, I mean like in order to play online on a game the update must be installed?

Is that what you're talking about or i'm missing something
It seems to me he's talking about exactly what nintendo have done, as if its new that a console needs new updates to play newer games (Protip: Its not new)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...