Hacking Would buying a flash cart be an illegal offense?

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
people are saying it is completely legal to own and play homebrew/non-roms, but in a recent news article talking about the stores that were raided for modchips in the states, it said that these modchips were "illegal and smuggled"

I'm not really concerned, but i thought i'd point that out.

(sorry, cant find a link to the article)

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Any item can be considered illegal if it is used for illegal purposes. Mod-chips may be illegal however because they can be used to circumvent protection schemes built into the console even if they are only used to allow for homebrew software to run on the console. Most mod-chips though are flashed initially with firmware that only allows for the loading of homebrew and leaves the protection intact without circumvention and therefore does not allow for the individual to play copied games right away.

I should mention that the flashcarts for the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance do not circumvent any copy protection scheme and therefore are not illegal in themselves. The Nintendo DS has no known copy protection in it or at least no region protection (the unit is region-free) which is typically the main layer of any copy protection on a hand-held or console unit.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Flashcards, like mp3 players, are in a gray area (flashcards are in the dark grey area, while mp3 players are in the light grey part). Both can be used to play/listent to your own, legally owned content, but let's face it, both are there for the downloaded bootleg goodness
happy.gif

Slightly off-topic, but related to this thread:
In a stroke of chain-yanking genius, a local, Croatian version of MPAA/RIAA, called ZAMP, has devised a "memory storage tax", a fee on every piece of memory storage, be it memory cards, CDs, DVDs, flash memory, hard disk drives, but also PDAs, mobile phones, you name it.

Their reason: "60% of memory storage devices are used to store illegally downloaded content, and constitute a copyright infringement".
wtf.gif

Well, since they are preemptively fining me for copyright infringement (the notion of being "innocent until proven guilty" be damned), this automatically means I can infringe any copyright I want, because they can't fine me for it twice. Double jeopardy and so on.

So, until Nintendo and ZAMP sort it out between themselves, I can semi-legally download any ROM or ISO I want
happy.gif

Back on topic. There is an End User License Agreement that you agree to automatically by buying a Nintendo console or game. By accepting it you agree that any form of modchip, firmware flashing, or any fiddling with the console is against the terms of use, and that Nintendo may take action against you. With games, the EULA includes a sentence saying, "this game is not sold to you, but leased", meaning, no, it's not your property, it's still theirs, but you may use it and play with it... for now. But you can't copy it, make backups, or anything of the sort, because it's not yours. And this is something you agree with automatically by opening the box it came in. They have you coming and going.

Doesn't apply to me, of course
tongue.gif

The conclusion to this rant... Flashcards are perfectly legal, if you only use them to run homebrew. But let's face it. We don't
happy.gif

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Back on topic. There is an End User License Agreement that you agree to automatically by buying a Nintendo console or game. By accepting it you agree that any form of modchip, firmware flashing, or any fiddling with the console is against the terms of use, and that Nintendo may take action against you. With games, the EULA includes a sentence saying, "this game is not sold to you, but leased", meaning, no, it's not your property, it's still theirs, but you may use it and play with it... for now. But you can't copy it, make backups, or anything of the sort, because it's not yours. And this is something you agree with automatically by opening the box it came in. They have you coming and going.

Right but the individual does not have a chance to review said EULA until they open the package at which point it is too late to return the product for a refund if you don't like those conditions. Therefore those terms are non-enforcable in a court of law.

O.G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Flashcards, like mp3 players, are in a gray area (flashcards are in the dark grey area, while mp3 players are in the light grey part). Both can be used to play/listent to your own, legally owned content, but let's face it, both are there for the downloaded bootleg goodness Â
happy.gif
Â

Slightly off-topic, but related to this thread:
In a stroke of chain-yanking genius, a local, Croatian version of MPAA/RIAA, called ZAMP, has devised a "memory storage tax", a fee on every piece of memory storage, be it memory cards, CDs, DVDs, flash memory, hard disk drives, but also PDAs, mobile phones, you name it.

Their reason: "60% of memory storage devices are used to store illegally downloaded content, and constitute a copyright infringement".Â
wtf.gif
Â

Well, since they are preemptively fining me for copyright infringement (the notion of being "innocent until proven guilty" be damned), this automatically means I can infringe any copyright I want, because they can't fine me for it twice. Double jeopardy and so on.

So, until Nintendo and ZAMP sort it out between themselves, I can semi-legally download any ROM or ISO I want Â
happy.gif
Â

Doesn't apply to me, of courseÂ
tongue.gif

The conclusion to this rant... Flashcards are perfectly legal, if you only use them to run homebrew. But let's face it. We don't Â
happy.gif
The Bernes Convention makes the laws of one copyright permissible to any signatories(country). Sorry Buddy, Your way of "circumventing" is plain piracy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convent..._Artistic_Works

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...