Misc Workaround for WPA/WEP problems and your DS.

Nuclei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen this a lot in the hour or two I've been browsing this particular subforum.

People having trouble with using WEP/WPA and thier DS ALONG WITH their other devices such as laptops and computers and such.

This will show you how to set up a Mac Address Allowance List on your Wireless Gateway/Router.

First thing's first; You need to gather some information.
-Get the exact Name/Make/Model of your Wireless gateway. You don't need the S/N.
-Get the Mac Addresses of every device you wish to allow onto your network.
-Find the Control Panel to your wireless gateway.

Let's get the Mac Addresses first.
Boot up your DS with a Wi-Fi capable game. (MarioKart DS, for example.)
Find the Wi-Fi options menu. (Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup)
Tap the large orange OPTIONS button.
Tap System Information.
Write down the MAC Address. (00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx)

On each COMPUTER you wish to allow wireless, go to:
Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections
Double click the wireless connection. You'll get a small window displaying the status of your connection.
At the tabs up top, click Support.
Click the Details button.
Write down the PHYSICAL ADDRESS (Mac Address) (00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)

Once you have all of these written down, you need to locate your Router's control panel.
Close the Network Connection Details. Keep the small window open.
Write down the IP address listed for Default Gateway. (Mine is 192.168.1.1)

Go to your internet browser. Type that IP address into the address bar and press enter.
If you've configured these settings before, you should already know your username and password.
If you've never done such a thing; These combinations of passwords are USUALLY the factory defaults:
User Name: Pass:
admin/admin
admin/password
admin/(don't put a password)

You should be at your router/gateway's control panel. If you got an error and your browser does NOT go to a control panel of sorts, go to this site:
http://portforward.com/

Find your router on the list using the Make/Model you noted earlier. They will tell you how to access the main control panel. (Just select any random game you want; the portforwarding is irrelevant. This is only to get to the main screen.STOP following their directions once you get to the control panel.)

Now; If you have no WPA/WEP or protection on your router of any kind, skip this step.
If you do, go turn it off. Your router should:
-Broadcast SSID
-NO WEP/WPA

If you have a Verizon type control panel, this should be easy (as I can tell you exactly where to go. For you others, You'll have to look around. Here's some tips: Look for settings pages dealing with WIRELESS SECURITY, WPA, WEP, ADVANCED WIRELESS SECURITY, SECURITY, and other such terms)

I found mine under Wireless Settings -> Advanced Security Settings -> Wireless MAC Authentication Settings.
For you others it will probably be under a 'allowance or deny list' that lets you enter MAC Address and IP addresses. For you guys, select ALLOWANCES, and proceed.

Add to the allowances all the MAC-Addresses you collected in this format:
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

save it and apply settings. The router should interrupt connections for a second or two. Once it's back up, every device other than the ones you added MAC Addresses for will be booted from the network and denied connections.

Essentially, it's a secure network without WPA/WEP. You are now free to use DS WiFi without worrying about all that crap
biggrin.gif

nutzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without WEP/WPA turned on all your data is unencrypted and viewable unless it is a web page using https:

Anyone within range can load a network capture program and listen in on your traffic.
Also, the MAC address can be over-ridden, so if I was your neighbor, and wanted to use your connection, I can change my MAC address to match yours, and when you are not using the wireless, I could connect and use it.

You should at least use WEP on your router. Adding MAC filtering to WEP improves the security.

Nuclei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. True, but either way, WEP is extremely weak.

All either do is prevent unintentional use of your network..

However I do know that homebrew + WEP/WPA = a;wlkefyupaw8e475q2l,m3h4l.
Not broadcasting SSID + homebrew = alwkjehrlawueyr as well.

a Mac filter will keep most script kiddies away as 90% of them have only knowledge/apps/programs in dealing with WEP.

But I suppose using a router with an effective range of 50 feet would deter most people as they would have be on my doorstep to connect. Any router over 50 feet, IMHO, is rather redundant unless the walls in your house are like.. made of lead lol.

Monyker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAC addresses can be spoofed easily, rendering the filter pointless.
FTFY

OK, I'll bite. How would you figure out the MAC address(es) to spoof? That would largely be a concern if someone had physical access to your premises/equipment, that you don't want accessing your network. Otherwise, good luck brute force/guessing allowed MAC addresses.

Last edited by Monyker,

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spoofing mac addresses to a specific address on Windows is an unholy nightmare, on android it can be done with rooted devices and on Linux its just a couple shell commands.

However, the attacker wouldn't know which mac address to spoof. In addition, if they connect while your device with the same mac is also connected, it'll boot yours off the network (Since you cant have the same mac on the network twice without it freaking out). Hopefully this should alert you that something has happened and you can investigate.

What I usually do is allow only one device to connect to the network at a time (As well as a mac filter and WEP security, as bad as it is). This usually works nicely if you disable the network when you're not using it. The theory is that while your DS or whatever is connected, nothing else can join (Since its limited to both one device AND your mac address) and you're safe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water