Hacking Wood R4 Extlink?

v41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm a R4+YSMENU+moonshell2 user, and about to migrate using wood R4.
But i have some question regarding this:

1. does this firmware like an all in one solution (e.g. audio/video player, reader) or just a simply firmware to play .nds files?
2. does Wood R4 have moonshell2-like Extlink to integrate e.g, .nes file with the nesDS?

thanks

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's an OSMenu, not firmware.

No, it doesn't do either of those two questions.

Just read my guide and install it as a secondary OS, Just extract to the MicroSD http://www.mediafire.com/?ywtjzyidjdz and when you want to run Wood load WOODR4.NDS or rename it to DEFAULT.NDS to have YSMenu load it automatically.

I don 't know why people are incapable of reading.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
It's an OSMenu, not firmware.

No, it doesn't do either of those two questions.

Just read my guide and install it as a secondary OS, Just extract to the MicroSD http://www.mediafire.com/?ywtjzyidjdz and when you want to run Wood load WOODR4.NDS or rename it to DEFAULT.NDS to have YSMenu load it automatically.

I don 't know why people are incapable of reading.
Uh.... WoodR4 is a firmware (in the sense that they're all called firmware, which is technically another misnomer like calling a game dump a "ROM" when ROM stands for Read Only Memory).

v41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ok, i just re-read your guide and it does mention OSMenu, which i did read last month without even mention about that, not to mention there's Wood R4 FAQ which also define Wood R4 as an alternative firmware based off of Wood RPG.

I'm not trying to be offensive, i'm just another poor NDS user which can't afford to buy game cartridges and ipod. That's why i wanted to use my NDS as a multifunction devices, to play NDS, audio, video, ebook, and emulated nes/sega game. Right now the only thing i know capable of doing that is YSMenu+Moonshell2+additional Extlink files, since it simply play files according to its extension.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
v41 said:
Ok, i just re-read your guide and it does mention OSMenu, which i did read last month without even mention about that, not to mention there's Wood R4 FAQ which also define Wood R4 as an alternative firmware based off of Wood RPG.

I'm not trying to be offensive, i'm just another poor NDS user which can't afford to buy game cartridges and ipod. That's why i wanted to use my NDS as a multifunction devices, to play NDS, audio, video, ebook, and emulated nes/sega game. Right now the only thing i know capable of doing that is YSMenu+Moonshell2+additional Extlink files, since it simply play files according to its extension.
I think your best bet would be to do one of two things:

If you play games more than media:
-- Extract and Copy the latest version of WoodR4 to your MicroSD card, making sure the "DS_MENU.DAT" file and "__rpg" folder are on the Root (X:\) of the card.
-- Extract and Copy the latest version of Moonshell to your MicroSD Card, making sure the "Moonshl2.nds"** file and "Moonshl2" folder are on the Root (X:\) of the card.
-- Use WoodR4 to load games, then run Moonshell when you want to play Media.

If you play media more than games:
-- Grab R4denc: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=977
-- Extract the latest version of WoodR4 to your desktop.
-- Extract the latest version of Moonshell to your desktop.
-- Drag and Drop the WoodR4's "DS_MENU.DAT" file onto "r4dec.exe" to decrypt it. Rename the file to "WoodR4.nds".
-- Drag and Drop the Moonshell's "moonshl_DirectBoot.nds" file onto "r4enc.exe" to encrypt it. Rename the file to "DS_MENU.DAT".
-- Copy WoodR4's files to the MicroSD card, making sure the "WoodR4.nds"** file and "__rpg" folder are on the Root (X:\) of the card.
-- Copy Moonshell's files to the MicroSD card, making sure the "DS_MENU.DAT" file and "Moonshl2" folder are on the Root (X:\) of the card.

** You can move these files wherever you would like to later on.
If you use Moonshell as your 'firmware', you can put WoodR4.nds into the "\Moonshl2\launch" folder to have it in the Moonshell's quick launch 'tab' next to your history (You'll have to delete/move/rename the extension of one of the NDS files in the Launch folder because the menu only supports 5 files).

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It wasn't a dig at you

People who use firmware to refer to AKAIO, WOOD etc confuse people, and is why they should be refered to as an Operating System, OSMenu, Software, Kernel, Loader, whatever you like but not firmware. It's like calling Windows a BIOS, or a Firmware when it's an Operating System.

Most carts will have an internal firmware, some of which are updatable like the M3i, Acekard etc. For example if you have an Acekard, you have to update it's firmware for it work on a DSi 1.4, this is different from AKAIO which is an OSMenu. Because some people refer to AKAIO as 'firmware', n00bs get very confused when it comes to updating their firmware.

Your easiest bet, as i've already said is to do what I posted above. Extract the archive I linked to http://www.mediafire.com/?ywtjzyidjdz to the root directory on your MicroSD card. You don't have to follow TWIZ's advice, it already contains WoodR4 as an NDS file to make it easy for you.

When want to use Wood, load your R4 or YSmenu and load WoodR4.nds, simple as that. Ottherwise rename it to default.nds and YSMENU will atuomatically load it. I believe you can bypass this by holding (B)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
People who use firmware to refer to AKAIO, WOOD etc confuse people, and is why they should be refered to as an Operating System, OSMenu, Software whatever you like but not firmware.

Most carts will have an internal firmware, some of which are updatable like the M3i, Acekard etc. For example if you have an Acekard, you have to update it's firmware for it work on a DSi 1.4, this is different from AKAIO which is an OSMenu.
You're correct... but it's really a bit late to wage the war on the proper terms for it since it's been so ingrained already and there's other terms that have a bigger impact/confusion like calling flashcarts "R4s".

tk_saturn said:
Your easiest bet, as i've already said is to do what I posted above. Extract the archive I linked to to teh root directory on your MicroSD card. You don't have to follow TWIZ's advice, it already contains WoodR4 as an NDS file.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Easy isn't always the best.
What's he going to do when he wants to use Wood R4 1.11?
Come looking for you to give him the files?

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jul 11 2010, 12:07 PM)
When want to use Wood, load your R4 or YSmenu and load WoodR4.nds, simple as that. Ottherwise rename it to default.nds and YSMENU will atuomatically load it. I believe you can bypass this by holding (B)
But why use YSMenu -AND- WoodR4?
Or rather, Why use YSMenu to load WoodR4 when WoodR4 can be loaded directly by the cart?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
[title:QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Jul 11 2010, 04:14 PM) ]
tk_saturn said:
Your easiest bet, as i've already said is to do what I posted above. Extract the archive I linked to to teh root directory on your MicroSD card. You don't have to follow TWIZ's advice, it already contains WoodR4 as an NDS file.

Easy isn't always the best.
What's he going to do when he wants to use Wood R4 1.11?
Come looking for you to give him the files?
1) Read my Guide. I've put the information how they can do that for themselve's. This is why I refered him to my guide. Even has a photo of it decrypting. It's there stickied, and people can read it anytime they want.

[title:QUOTE(tk_saturn @ May 19 2010, 03:21 AM) ]To install Wood R4 as a secondary OSMenu:

If you already have your R4 setup with another Operating Software, you can setup Wood R4 up as a secondary operating software. Wood R4 will peacefully coexist with both the Official R4 software and YSMenu on the same MicroSD card, you can download the last version of the official R4 software (v1.18) from Here. To set Wood R4 up as a secondary operating software, create a directory called WoodR4 and extract the downloaded Wood R4 archive to this directory. Download and extract R4CRYPT to this same directory. Now Copy R4CRYPT.EXE into the wood_r4_v1.XX directory. Hold down shift key and right click on the wood_r4_v1.XX directory and select "Open command window here".

cmd1.jpg

In the black box that pops up type "r4crypt.exe -d _DS_MENU.DAT WOODR4.NDS" and press enter.

cmd2.jpg

Enter the wood_r4_v1.XX directory, delete _DS_MENU.DAT and r4crypt.exe, now copy the entire contents of the directory to your MicroSD card.

Alternatively a premade Wood R4 v1.10 as secondary Operating Software can be downloaded from Here

2) Since V1.07, i've had a prebuilt Wood as an NDS in my guide to download. I update this for each version of Wood when I update the guide. I also put the link to it after the instructions of how to it yourself.

Also note: I have permission from Y.W.G to package Wood as an NDS for my guide.

v41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
twiztidsinz said:
Yes i agree with you, back then when YSMenu was the only OSMenu which capable playing new nds rom, it took times for me to create mine since there are no pre-made YSMenu allowed by YASU.
Ok then i think i just install it as secondary OS and keep Moonshell as my firmware for now.

Thanks
yaynds.gif

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
twiztidsinz said:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, apart from the firmware/OSMenu topic...WoodR4 does sort of have an extlink (it encompasses ysmenu, AKAIO, WoodR4, and whatever else), but it all depends on when YWG updates the svn for WoodRPG/R4. Xenon++ usually grabs that and then adds the autorunLastROM (among some other little changes) so that it can be used with his inilink.nds...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-