Gaming Wiring a network between 2 floors

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want to run a network cable from the desktop in my bedroom to the basement where the router is without having a cable exposed at all, what is the best approach to doing so in terms of how I should run a cable?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ethernet over mains works well enough although if you plan on home networking between two points (streaming, file transfer and the like) rather than just a good internet hookup or have people that use short wave around then it is back to regular network cable.

Back on topic it will all depend on your house- I can not say I have pulled apart any Canadian houses (especially from an electrics point of view) but assuming they are the same as those in the northern US (wood frame or maybe steel not that it really matters, breeze/cinder blocks and plasterboard/sheet rock on top) then you will likely have a cavity in the (inside) wall which is usually the "best" option for houses (basements are often the point on entry for electric so think about throwing the wire alongside the power (even if it is not then your power will still come in low so consider running it alongside to the power box and then into the basement from there).
After this it gets a bit more tricky- if you have an air conditioning system or other ventilation consider that although you usually have to get specially coated cable as your basic junk cable is not going to last all that long.
Unused chimney stacks also work although I have only tried those with brick/clay chimneys in Europe and while I do not suppose the metal ones are all that different I will defer to someone else here.

After that it gets annoying- behind skirting board, under floors and under carpet. You can get things to hide the cable if you want (if you have would be external pipes boxed in that is almost as good as a cavity mind). Unless it is a specific request, demanded by law or a simple run I will instead look to running it down the outside of a house.

Do yourself a favour and buy some good quality shielded cable (it need not be cat6 but cat6 is shielded(ish) by default) and especially so if you are running next to power lines. You can leave a normal connector on the end but a plate* is a better looking finish and you do not want to redo a wall as you have just pulled a cable up and through it.
*consider that you can get easy wiring plates and the money you spend on them you would have otherwise spend on a crimping tool.

Generally though it is possible just plan it ahead of time.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Personally I would just get one of those wall-pins and run your cable through any corners possible, pinning it to the wall every meter or so. That's what I do for the 10m cable running up my stairs to link the network upstairs and downstairs.

See what works best for you
biggrin.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess FAST beat me to it, but like he said it depends on how your house is built, if your house is timber frame with plasterboard you should be able to run it through the wall easily. If like me you are unlucky and your house is brick / concrete you will need to use either a chisel or a special wall chasing tool and plaster over it.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those power line adapters are very expensive though, 150 bucks for the Netgear ones on Newegg. I have a wireless N router with Gigabit wired LAN, however the wireless is setup on G frequency due to older computers in the house on the wireless being that connection type. Cable is like 25 dollars and goes faster then the power line adapters.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DSGamer64 said:
Those power line adapters are very expensive though, 150 bucks for the Netgear ones on Newegg. I have a wireless N router with Gigabit wired LAN, however the wireless is setup on G frequency due to older computers in the house on the wireless being that connection type. Cable is like 25 dollars and goes faster then the power line adapters.

well I got 2 Allnet DLAN adapters with 85 mbit for ~40 euros. I think that's okay
I only use them for 2mbit internet and they work very well (way better than wlan)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...