Status
Not open for further replies.

lolzvid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
EDIT: I am seriously looking to make a complete demo of Undertale for the 3DS, but that will take quite a while to make it. If anybody can make art or code for the battle parts, and help me with screen scrolling, it would help A LOT the development of this demo.
Since I'll be on school holidays for some months, I'll try to dedicate a lot into this project and make it something playable.

Here are some "to-do" stuff:

- Cleaning up the code
- Changing rooms (added, but rooms are still limited)
- Collisions (mostly with doors and objects)
- Everything else

What's done:
- Player movement and animation
- Room backgrounds
- Everything else present

I've made a quick and simple demo of Undertale for the 3DS, with music and the player that you sorta can control (I still need to make him to move/walk, any help with this could be great). I also need to fix some crackling noises from the music when it loops.

I want to complete this demo by making Toriel's house fully accessible, and making some little easter eggs (hOI!).

Screenshot from current progress (taken with smealum's screenshot tool):

Ac7KkX5.png

Download link: here

Tested with an O3DS 9.2.0-20 with menuHax, ninjHax, and homebrewLoader (.cia), all with *hax 2.5.

Credits:
Toby Fox - Creating the original masterpiece
#3dsdev people - Making homebrew possible

Source code (and compiled .3dsx) from GitHub: here

Last edited by lolzvid,

lolzvid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll upload the source code shortly to GitHub and add it to the main post, if anyone wants to help me with the coding.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks interesting, could be great!

First thing I noticed was the rug-rats looking character. Perhaps define and refine the character once you have an engine set up.

Or create an engine for building this game and release it in the vein of "zelda maker" or something cool?

Just a suggestion.

I am making a homebrew "zelda maker" of my own as a POC for PC/web, so I too am learning tile based games creation, but LOZ: links awakening style "maker" could be MASSIVE in this 3DS homebrew scene right now ;)

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never heard of it :(
coming from someone who originally didn't like the concept of the game, it's pretty damn good. give the PC demo a try, and if you like it, you'd be doing yourself a favor to play the full version.

Last edited by frogboy,

lolzvid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've just made some changes into my GitHub repository (it's already compiled) with the images, but I still need to make the background as a tileset.

Also, I did change some comments, since they're copied from another project of mine (font name incorrect, some unused references, etc).

Reactions: KiiWii

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Awesome stuff! Do you plan on making a clone of the engine for the 3DS? I'd love to see the battle system in action - if you plan to implement that.

Reactions: lolzvid

lolzvid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Awesome stuff! Do you plan on making a clone of the engine for the 3DS? I'd love to see the battle system in action - if you plan to implement that.
The engine was made on Game Maker Studio (which I've worked with it for a long time), and that's quite complicated to port, since it's not open source and it heavily depends on some resources that the 3DS doesn't have.

Even with the source code of the game, a lot of the inner workings and logic on its coding would be different (that proprietary language is pretty hard to work with).

Last edited by lolzvid,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The engine was made on Game Maker Studio (which I've worked with it for a long time), and that's quite complicated to port, since it's not open source and it heavily depends on some resources that the 3DS doesn't have.
Well of course - that's why I said "clone" and not "port", since from what I understand you'd have to redo the whole thing from the ground up. I was merely asking if replicating the battle system is in your to-do list, I think it'd be quite impressive to see it running on the 3DS.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it, I think this would be an easy game to copy the Toriel part so the whole Toriel part would be amazing. I hope the battle stuff works out though. :P

lolzvid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Bynniock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Did you consider/try scaling the graphics down? Because you can half the resolution on most of the game without changing how anything looks, and you don't have a whole lot of room on the 3DS's screen anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off