SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Yes, there are 5 threads named "is n64 possible on the 3ds?". But there is no thread about @machinamentum and his N64 emulation research/development for 3DS. As we can see, @machinamentum is updating his github rather often.

Please let this thread be about @machinamentums N64 emulation research. Don't talk whether n64 emulation is possible on the 3ds or not! Use the other 5 threads for that :P

I'm starting this thread as I don't really understand what is going on! What does the latest update "Large 64-bit overhaul." mean etc.?

Github progress:
https://github.com/machinamentum/CTR64

Last edited by SLiV3R,

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by Rinnegatamante,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
considering you need a quite powerful machine for emulating the problem titles (rare games as goldeneye, banjo tooie ...) properly, I would guess the N3DS is way not powerful enough to do the job.

my old core 2 duo is just powerful enough to be a perfect emulator for those titles. my iPad 2 cannot handle it. haven't seen those games on any handheld so far.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i want to play star fox on my 3ds please
200w.gif

I would like to see how well it works. I doubt it would really be playable, but it would still be interesting to see.

Reactions: DarkRioru

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
considering you need a quite powerful machine for emulating the problem titles (rare games as goldeneye, banjo tooie ...) properly, I would guess the N3DS is way not powerful enough to do the job.

my old core 2 duo is just powerful enough to be a perfect emulator for those titles. my iPad 2 cannot handle it. haven't seen those games on any handheld so far.

Golden rule: If the PSP can do it, so could the 3DS. That said it wouldn't matter what kind of system you have because sadly N64 emulation isn't perfect. The Wii U emulator comes real close though, but I doubt the 3DS could handle anything past Mario 64 without sacrificing accuracy for speed.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Golden rule: If the PSP can do it, so could the 3DS. That said it wouldn't matter what kind of system you have because sadly N64 emulation isn't perfect. The Wii U emulator comes real close though, but I doubt the 3DS could handle anything past Mario 64 without sacrificing accuracy for speed.

and even the PSP couldn't really do N64 emulation! it wasn't even powerful enough to get yoshis island (SNES) running properly.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
and even the PSP couldn't really do N64 emulation! it wasn't even powerful enough to get yoshis island (SNES) running properly.
Its been a long time, I admit. But I'm almost 100% that I played yoshi's island all the way through with snes9x on psp.

Edit:
Yeah, see? Its fine.

Last edited by WeedZ,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been a long time, I admit. But I'm almost 100% that I played yoshi's island all the way through with snes9x on psp.

Edit:
Yeah, see? Its fine.

you probably didn't watch the video! you never played it using snes9x (TYL) because it is not smooth at all.
the video shows the cropped gba-version that has way less visual content to emulate and therefore runs at nearly full speed.

fact is: the PSP was too slow for emulating superFX games as yoshis island at full speed.

Last edited by naddel81,

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you probably didn't watch the video! you never played it using snes9x (TYL) because it is not smooth at all.
the video shows the cropped gba-version that has way less visual content to emulate and therefore runs at nearly full speed.

fact is: the PSP was too slow for emulating superFX games as yoshis island at full speed.
Your right. The video description does say gba. Idk, it seems like I played it on snes9x, but now I'm kinda doubting that. I did play alot of gba games on the psp cause I never had an actual gba.

Reactions: naddel81

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Tis not be a PSP subforum. Let us get back on track :D

Anyway, N64 emu on N3DS can theoretically be possible, however the processor needs to be emulated. This isn't a very easy task. 800-ish Quad core CPU might be enough, but it might be impossible to do on a o3DS, due to it only having a Dual core, 230-ish MHz CPU (Or at least having it run slowly without sound.) Someone who actually has worked on emus for 3DS would probably be of assistance here.

This is not a general help or a pirate9loaderhax subforum but 85% of the threads in this section are about pirate9loaderhax, how to pirate better and how to properly fix some errors got when pirateing so who cares?

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Um... come again? I don't think I properly understood that...

Tis not be a PSP subforum. Let us get back on track

IT's just useless to complain this is not a PSP subforum since the majority of the threads in this section are in wrong section :P

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Requires low accurate emulator to gain speed on o3DS.
Well, as long as Super Mario 64 works accurately enough gameplay wise on full speed, then I'm happy so you could practice for runs where you want.

You could just leave some things out graphics wise, such as shadows.

Reactions: WeedZ

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Requires low accurate emulator to gain speed on o3DS.
Well, as long as Super Mario 64 works accurately enough gameplay wise on full speed, then I'm happy so you could practice for runs where you want.

You could just leave some things out graphics wise, such as shadows.
Not going to be playable on an O3DS. Devices with a way stronger hardware struggle with N64 emulation, and the O3DS fights to run SNES emulation.

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the deal is emulators don't require specs because the most crap cpu which is probably the one the old 3ds has can do with 30mhz what the n64 did with 90mhz.emulators they require good programmers like i had said before microsoft can emulate xbox 360 on xbox one while we cant play banjo kazooie nuts and bolts on pc. so unless we get it from nintendo there is no way its going to happen now people move along

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
@machinamentum updated one hour ago. I would love to hear from the master how the progress is going :)

I don't expect fullspeed N64, even on the n3ds (even though it is possible). I'm just curious about the reading of @machinamentums development!

Last edited by SLiV3R,
Reactions: Wolfy and TurtleP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho