I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I hope one of the pokemon games will contain an exploit :o

I would hope not. It would be a rather clunky way of doing things. To use the QR scanning features you have to go through 2 boot animations, start up your game, go to a secret base, access the secret base PC and then go through it's menu to finally get to the QR scanner.

I honestly wouldn't bother trying to exploit something that would be tedious to get to on a regular bases.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I would hope not. It would be a rather clunky way of doing things. To use the QR scanning features you have to go through 2 boot animations, start up your game, go to a secret base, access the secret base PC and then go through it's menu to finally get to the QR scanner.

I honestly wouldn't bother trying to exploit something that would be tedious to get to on a regular bases.
well it wouldnt have to be a permanent thing karl devs have already said they have MSET working so it would just be another entry point......that being said i doubt any new entry points will be burned even if someone does find one, it shouldn't be too hard for people to get hold of CN or OOT for a single use just to downgrade MSET.....then they are set

Reactions: Margen67

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if it's been said(187 pages) but is piracy going to be actively blocked or just not enabled/worked on?
It's actively not allowed. As far as we're concerned, looking the other way is the same as purposely allowing it, and we have a moral responsibility to not do that.
That same logic is the legal logic in regards to these things as well, if that was a motivator.

polki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Totally understood, I don't mean to flame but a CFW with "backup" support, killing expensive DRM carts, would of been pretty damn cool. And morally if not legally right.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's actively not allowed. As far as we're concerned, looking the other way is the same as purposely allowing it, and we have a moral responsibility to not do that.
That same logic is the legal logic in regards to these things as well, if that was a motivator.

But in the begining of the thread

Oh, if you mean the Anti-piracy thing, it was just a word so we could have the 'a' in KARL. In all seriousness though, ROM loading or Amy such thing will not be supported, mainly because I can't be bothered to code it, but also because there's no real excitement in doing it. On the fly game patching(patches on unmodded games) is a bit of a pipe dream of mine, but I'd have a lot more fun trying to do that than I would trying to allow for ROM loading or CIA installs.
So you were prety neutral about piracy...

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But in the begining of the thread

So you were prety neutral about piracy...
Rokkubro has absolutely nothing to do with what these guys are working on, and therefore nothing he has to say has any relevance to the project in it's current form.

He simply created the thread and provided the name. He hasn't contributed anything more than that to this project and he is not part of the KARL3DS development team.

Totally understood, I don't mean to flame but a CFW with "backup" support, killing expensive DRM carts, would of been pretty damn cool. And morally if not legally right.
I'm going to go ahead and dust off this old chestnut from KARL dev Relys because I love it so much.
Also, I am sick and tired of hearing these piracy "debates":
  1. It's not a moral issue it's an ethical and most important an legal issue.
  2. Taking away revenue from developers is wrong. We have to eat too you know. If you don't like what we make, then don't play our games.
  3. Trying to rationalize piracy by saying "oh it only hurts the big evil game corporations" is a crock of shit and just goes how little you know about business and economics.
  4. Telling developers that they are hypocrites for not enabling piracy but personally downloading a movie, game etc. every once in awhile just goes to show how ignorant you are. Pirating for personal use and enabling piracy for millions is a completely different situation.
  5. Insulting developers when you don't get your way isn't helping your case. It may work when your mommy won't buy you what you want, but we could care less about your "opinions".
Edit: Quoted the wrong half of Relys's post. Here we go
Guys the argument of being able to "backup your carts" honestly died last generation. If you want all your games stored on your SD card then buy them from the eshop. I don't care if some obscure games aren't available to purchase in that format or if you already own a billion carts. Game "backups" are just flat out something that we're just not interested in supporting and we are certainly not going to go out of our way to develop some crazy method of trying to "authenticate" that you actually purchased the cart. Why you may ask? Because we don't care enough about that feature for our own personal use to develop it. At the end of the day this project is about developing things we want to use. Why you may ask? Because nobody is paying us to develop things we could care less about. There is also not ETA for release. Why you may ask? Because we do this in our free time and nobody is paying us to develop these features outside of our own pace. There is also no guaranteed feature set or release. Why you may ask? Because nobody is entitled to anything we develop and choose not to release.[/I

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rokkubro has absolutely nothing to do with what these guys are working on, and therefore nothing he has to say has any relevance to the project in it's current form.

He simply created the thread and provided the name. He hasn't contributed anything more than that to this project and he is not part of the KARL3DS development team.

I'm going to go ahead and dust off this old chestnut from KARL dev Relys because I love it so much.

Edit: Quoted the wrong half of Relys's post. Here we go

Sorry didn't knew

polki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

lol I'll take that on the chin. I hope the whole thing wasn't aimed at me though :( hehe. Anyway I'm always on the dev's side, but I sometimes need to ask a question or two,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol I'll take that on the chin. I hope the whole thing wasn't aimed at me though :( hehe. Anyway I'm always on the dev's side, but I sometimes need to ask a question or two,
Sorry didn't knew
It's all good, it's a bit much to expect people to read through 180+ pages before asking questions.

I can't pick on someone for being ignorant of a post made 120 pages ago. Now you guys know.

Reactions: polki and Alkéryn

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In general, stuff said in this thread before we formed the core group of me, Daz, Shiny, and Relys should be ignored. Up till that point there was a lot of excited rambling with little to back it up.

Reactions: polki

chromestalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Relys said:
Guys the argument of being able to "backup your carts" honestly died last generation. If you want all your games stored on your SD card then buy them from the eshop. I don't care if some obscure games aren't available to purchase in that format or if you already own a billion carts. Game "backups" are just flat out something that we're just not interested in supporting and we are certainly not going to go out of our way to develop some crazy method of trying to "authenticate" that you actually purchased the cart. Why you may ask? Because we don't care enough about that feature for our own personal use to develop it. At the end of the day this project is about developing things we want to use. Why you may ask? Because nobody is paying us to develop things we could care less about. There is also not ETA for release. Why you may ask? Because we do this in our free time and nobody is paying us to develop these features outside of our own pace. There is also no guaranteed feature set or release. Why you may ask? Because nobody is entitled to anything we develop and choose not to release.

Oh is that all I have todo is buy the games from the shop? Let me go ahead and buy my released in japan only games on the us eshop. I've got two regular 3ds and two n3ds, one from usa and one from jpn. Know what would be great is if I could cut that in half, and carry all my physically and digitally obtained games on one system.

I'd love to spend time reverse engineering the 3ds, but I do enough RE work as actual work that I don't have it in me when I get home to smack it around. If KARL was os then it wouldn't be such a big hassel as I'd probablly just need to patch out the sig checks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Relys said:
Guys the argument of being able to "backup your carts" honestly died last generation. If you want all your games stored on your SD card then buy them from the eshop. I don't care if some obscure games aren't available to purchase in that format or if you already own a billion carts. Game "backups" are just flat out something that we're just not interested in supporting and we are certainly not going to go out of our way to develop some crazy method of trying to "authenticate" that you actually purchased the cart. Why you may ask? Because we don't care enough about that feature for our own personal use to develop it. At the end of the day this project is about developing things we want to use. Why you may ask? Because nobody is paying us to develop things we could care less about. There is also not ETA for release. Why you may ask? Because we do this in our free time and nobody is paying us to develop these features outside of our own pace. There is also no guaranteed feature set or release. Why you may ask? Because nobody is entitled to anything we develop and choose not to release.

Oh is that all I have todo is buy the games from the shop? Let me go ahead and buy my released in japan only games on the us eshop. I've got two regular 3ds and two n3ds, one from usa and one from jpn. Know what would be great is if I could cut that in half, and carry all my physically and digitally obtained games on one system.
still not their problem, take it up with nintendo :P

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Relys said:

FunckyCia, RX Tools, Gateway, or CFW can be used to help out with your spoiled predicament. :P

Reactions: Zidapi

chromestalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
still not their problem, take it up with nintendo :P

It shows that Relys stance that the eshop will solve it, doesn't even begin to cover everyones use case.

FunckyCia, RX Tools, Gateway, or CFW can be used to help out with your spoiled predicament. :P

I've got a gateway as it was/is the only viable solution for a long time, haven't bothered with messing around with it on my n3ds' yet and by time I want to maybe theyll actually have something. But other then that those tools don't even come close to helping.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Relys said:

If you want to consolidate and play your "legitimate backups", buy a gateway and set up an emuNAND. You're clearly not short of money.

KARL won't be providing a solution for playing backups. Period. Discussion over.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way WulfyStylez, would it be possible to install CIA's with your systems ticket.db inside? I dunno if that is a thing, but would it be possible to only install your own legit CIA's from FunkyCia, or is it not possible? :unsure: (Probably not needed anyway because emunand would copy all of the games installed on NAND but it's just a thought that I'd like answered. :) )

chromestalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to consolidate and play your "legitimate backups", buy a gateway and set up an emuNAND. You're clearly not short of money.

KARL won't be providing a solution for playing backups. Period. Discussion over.

Them some fancy quotes, guess you don't know how the law works in america(its not great most of the time sadly), but in this instance, making a backup up of a physical copy of my own cart is completely legal.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html#backup

And as I said I already have a gateway, but unfortunately its n3ds support is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4