Status
Not open for further replies.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can update your 3DS to 9.2 using a game rom or CIAs. But you can't do it to sysnand directly or it will get bricked. Karl3DS will probably allow doing this safely. But until then, you'll have to copy sysnand to emunand and update emunand to 9.2 using CIAs or a game rom with the 9.2 update. Then you have to use rxTools to inject the firm0.bin/firm1.bin files dumped from an already working 9.2 sysnand image. If you never had 9.2 on your 3DS, this means getting these files from some one else. (also note that they should have "emu_" added to the file name so that rxTools will see them)

Once you inject the working firm0/firm1 files into emunand, it's then safe to extract emunand and flash that to your sysnand using gateway menu. While it shouldn't cause issues, I still recommend you get a hard mod if you are in any doubt on if you did it correctly. :)

Generally, if emunand boots correctly afterwords, you can have it on sysnand once the firm0/firm1 partitions are fixed. ;)

Also if you go the CIA route. You can selectively leave out the CIAs for TWL_FIRM and the DS Cart White list. That way, whatever DS flashcarts that are working on your current sysnand will still work on 9.2.

For example. If you started out with 4.3 FW on a USA console updating to 9.2 in this way would allow AceKard2i to still work. Gateway blue card will still work if you updated from 4.5. I don't recall exactly when that one was blocked. But you get the general idea. :P
How to actually update to any system software version (more or less) properly:
1) Install all the CIAs for the updated version you want
2) Call AM:InstallFIRM to actually install the FIRM titles that updated.

(even better would be returning a spoofed response to NIM and having the system updater put you on 9.2)

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

(even better would be returning a spoofed response to NIM and having the system updater put you on 9.2)

Could the latter be done with All firmwares (i mean, even to downgrade your system ?)
If so, would it be possible to Hot patch the system to return a specific response, from inside the KARL/Firmloader menu ?

Edit: not asking for such feature on the release version, just asking if it is possible ?

Reactions: Margen67

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Would a simple homebrew that runs AM:InstallFIRM with a title ID of zero work for this, after installing the CIAs? According to 3Dbrew, all you can do with it is give it zero, or did I misunderstand the "titleid unique id must be zero" part? I'm tempted to test this on my hard modded 3DS..

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious as why the AM:InstallFirm service/command isn't executed correctly from DevMen or when updating from a game rom. Gateway mode/Palantine CFW appears to interfere with it somehow. Are you sure this process is already done correctly from DevMen/game rom and it's the exploit that corrupts the installed result? :P

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could the latter be done with All firmwares (i mean, even to downgrade your system ?)
If so, would it be possible to Hot patch the system to return a specific response, from inside the KARL/Firmloader menu ?

Edit: not asking for such feature on the release version, just asking if it is possible ?

Downgrading system modules is a pain in the ass, even with AM patched. Also honestly I'd rather see 9.x be the new 4.5.

Would a simple homebrew that runs AM:InstallFIRM with a title ID of zero work for this, after installing the CIAs? According to 3Dbrew, all you can do with it is give it zero, or did I misunderstand the "titleid unique id must be zero" part? I'm tempted to test this on my hard modded 3DS..

The unique ID part of FIRM title IDs is always zero. The whole titleid isn't just zero.

I'm curious as why the AM:InstallFirm service/command isn't executed correctly from DevMen or when updating from a game rom. Gateway mode/Palantine CFW appears to interfere with it somehow. Are you sure this process is already done correctly from DevMen/game rom and it's the exploit that corrupts the installed result? :P
DevMenu is a developer tool. Licensed devs have no business installing FIRM updates manually.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country

It's strange when you think about it, isn't it? If Nintendo are aware that updating to 9.x with a game card causes a brick - why haven't they done anything about it? It's basically asking to send your 3DS into a Nin repair center. Nintendo, I think you messed up...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's strange when you think about it, isn't it? If Nintendo are aware that updating to 9.x with a game card causes a brick - why haven't they done anything about it? It's basically asking to send your 3DS into a Nin repair center. Nintendo, I think you messed up...
its not really an issue with updating via a cart, its updating via a cart/rom while in gateway mode, updating legitimately with a retail cart while in sysnand is fine

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
its not really an issue with updating via a cart, its updating via a cart/rom while in gateway mode, updating legitimately with a retail cart while in sysnand is fine

Brick only happens if you use a game rom. So it only effects the pirates. :P

I doubt Nintendo is in a hurry to fix that. :P

Oh, I didn't think you were referring to emuNAND... Stupid me :wtf: Sounded like "people updating the N3DS with cards, causes bricks"... I guess I didn't read all the comments that you previously wrote... Well, least I know now :lol:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh, I didn't think you were referring to emuNAND... Stupid me :wtf: Sounded like "people updating the N3DS with cards, causes bricks"... I guess I didn't read all the comments that you previously wrote... Well, least I know now :lol:
yeah it actually doesnt brick emunand, it only brick if you try to apply an update to sysnand while in gateway mode (i.e you never set up emunand before updating) this actually applies to however you try to update, be it homescreen prompt/system setting/on cart update

never enter gateway mode if you plan to update sysnand and never update anything in gateway mode unless you are 100% sure you actually have emunand set up

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
yeah it actually doesnt brick emunand, it only brick if you try to apply an update to sysnand while in gateway mode (i.e you never set up emunand before updating) this actually applies to however you try to update, be it homescreen prompt/system setting/on cart update

never enter gateway mode if you plan to update sysnand and never update anything in gateway mode unless you are 100% sure you actually have emunand set up

I see. I don't have a GW so I don't need to worry about it much. Hopefully KARL and OSKA provide a simple emuNAND solution.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Thanks for this tip, I managed to upgrade my sysNAND from 4.3 to 9.2 after importing all of the CIAs, then running a small homebrew I made. Dunno if I'll stay here, but it was certainly interesting to try it!

Oh wow! Really? You plan on sharing the simple HB you made? Would be great if you did!

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this tip, I managed to upgrade my sysNAND from 4.3 to 9.2 after importing all of the CIAs, then running a small homebrew I made. Dunno if I'll stay here, but it was certainly interesting to try it!

Very nice! This sort of thing will be able to run on our CFW, too, since all the CIAs are signed.

boomie0123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question that's been bugging me a bit.

If I buy a JPN eshop title (On Gateway Emunand), and then do the region change to US once KARL releases, will I still be able to play that eshop title on the US firmware?

Edit: Not to mention I have two different NNIDs, one for JPN and my original US NNID.

Reactions: Kioku

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

If I buy a JPN eshop title (On Gateway Emunand), and then do the region change to US once KARL releases, will I still be able to play that eshop title on the US firmware?

Maybe? Since KARL will be region free.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

no since you will have a new serial and as such the eshop purchases will now be invalid

you could probably just set up a second SD with a JPN emunand set up on it so you can still play them on there, but karl3DS has all the signature checks in place so swapping the region will mean the tickets are not valid for the US serial

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit: Not to mention I have two different NNIDs, one for JPN and my original US NNID.

No, region changing requires a complete wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
    Veho @ Veho: +1