Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it's possible to boot HBL through cfw, but I found a great way to have both by way of HBL Emergency. Just put it in place of your cfw.3dsx with your cfw renamed to boot_1.3dsx and HBL renamed to boot_2.3dsx. This way, you can boot your cfw by default, and HBL by holding the R button. This should be added.

Ered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't seem to install FBI on emunand 10.1.0-27 or sysnand 9.2.0-20E. am I'm doing something wrong?
Does FBI only work on emunand 9.2.0-20E and below?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to install FBI on emunand 10.1.0-27 or sysnand 9.2.0-20E. am I'm doing something wrong?
Does FBI only work on emunand 9.2.0-20E and below?
What CFW are you using? Make sure that you are patching signatures if you're using cakes... Did you do the thing with the dbs folder? It is possible to install on emuNAND so you're good there

Ered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No don't do that, you didn't answer most of my questions, take a minute and answer them so I can help
I am using RxTools and I did the dbs folder(on the same SD as the emunand etc)

This is the error I get:
Install failed!
FBI.cia
Source: SOURCE_APP_BEGIN_INSTALL (0x5)
Module: MODULE_NN_OS (0x6)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_WRONG_ARGUMENT (0x8)
Description: <unknown> (0x2f)

Last edited by Ered,

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is pretty difficult to get into the homebrew manager on sysnand(don't know why)
But when I do it can't install FBI on it either due to Invalid_Signature.
Boot rxTools in sysNAND mode, you can do that by holding R to get into the menu and selecting sysNAND mode

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That did work, it did require me to use the 1st RxTools 3 version.
Thanks, does that mean that I can use it on emunand & Sysnand and should I inject it in the H&S app?
well no need to inject it into H&S because you have it installed already... I'm beginning to wonder if maybe rxtools 2.5 doesn't have the capability of correctly patching a 10.x emuNAND causing the problems that you're having... That's why I honestly recommend Cakes because it's... well less of a mess than rxTools is

Last edited by dark_samus3,

Ered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well no need to inject it into H&S because you have it installed already... I'm beginning to wonder if maybe rxtools 2.5 doesn't have the capability of correctly patching a 10.x emuNAND causing the problems that you're having... That's why I honestly recommend Cakes because it's... well less of a mess than rxTools is
Doesn't Cakes offer less features then RxTools? Anyway, I found out that FBI is only accessable on sysNand and not emunand(which I guess is good because that means they aren't linked but I also can't play online)

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't Cakes offer less features then RxTools? Anyway, I found out that FBI is only accessable on sysNand and not emunand(which I guess is good because that means they aren't linked but I also can't play online)
Well once you're actually booted into the CFW (as in you can boot games) not really... the only one missing is GBA firmware auto patching but it's so easy to install the patched firmware that it doesn't really matter... as far as when in the menu, yeah there are some missing options but with Decrypt9 you get 90% of those back and with the current methods the options you don't get back are basically pointless as they're only useful when installing the CFW... I think I'll move to working with Cakes in my guide and substitute in Decrypt9 for everything else

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"open the gateway public beta"

What exactly are you supposed to do here? I feel like I am missing something because the MSET cia I got won't install...

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"open the gateway public beta"

What exactly are you supposed to do here? I feel like I am missing something because the MSET cia I got won't install...

Well open the folder where you extracted the public beta... The MSET CIA should install fine even from an unpatched sysNAND

Also what step are you on?

ChaosAxess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well open the folder where you extracted the public beta... The MSET CIA should install fine even from an unpatched sysNAND

Also what step are you on?
Step 4. I think I am misreading it somehow. So I open the public beta folder, but what do I do with its contents. That is the only mention of gateway there.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention this is on the N3DS. Also to clarify on the MSET install, I get a wrong title error.

Last edited by ChaosAxess,

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Step 4. I think I am misreading it somehow. So I open the public beta folder, but what do I do with its contents. That is the only mention of gateway there.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention this is on the N3DS. Also to clarify on the MSET install, I get a wrong title error.

I see where the confusion is coming from... The step used to be open up the public beta and navigate to the 4.5 MSET installers folder but I opted for the 6.x MSET because custom firmwares on 6.x or above try to install for 6.x MSET so you can safely ignore that odd step (I'll have to take it off too) anyways not sure on the wrong title error... Make sure you have the latest FBI and that the destination on the top screen reads NAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Did I stutter?