Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the (n)3DS I have to install the MSET 6.x CIA?

Since in Step 7 there has to be selected 4.x

This is a little bit confusing while reading :huh:
Sorry about that, that used to be in the o3ds guide and that step got copy pasted into the n3ds part and I didn't catch that in my proofreading, fixed it, sorry about that

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, obviously you will need an entry point to execute custom code on the (n)3DS ... but this can be the NDS profile exploit ... if you've got an NDS flashcard and downgraded your MSET ... but to replace MSET with an exploitable version you will definitely need OOT, CN, Tubehax or whatever *hax ;)
Only the original ninjhax will work, *hax 2.x is built differently and even on exploitable firmwares doesn't work with FBI and CFW launchers

Last edited by dark_samus3,

temper999

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For me 6.x never worked, but 4.x did :) Be aware though: you will loose some settings due to this ... like mircoSD management, super steady 3d configuration, etc. ... this is the reason why i always use ninjhax to launch my CFW ;)
Oh... that was worth mentioning.
Could I also install CN as CIA and start the hax from there?
Is mircoSD management and super steady 3d configuration working with MSET 6.x?
If you replace mset ... just make sure to undo the replacement later...
How to do that?

Sorry about that, that used to be in the o3ds guide and that step got copy pasted into the n3ds part and I didn't catch that in my proofreading, fixed it, sorry about that
No need to apologize. Thx for your Tutorial :yay:

Sorry for bugging with als these questions :shy:

Last edited by temper999,

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... that was worth mentioning.
Could I also install CN as CIA and start the hax from there?
Is mircoSD management and super steady 3d configuration working with MSET 6.x?

How to do that?

No need to apologize. Thx for your Tutorial :yay:

Sorry for bugging with als these questions :shy:
For CN, this is covered in the ninjhax and otherapp section you will however need a physical copy of cubic ninja to install CFW and if you want to sell it after then you'll need the MSET exploit, you can get a separate CIA for the microSD management and it works without booting into CFW, not really sure on the super stable 3d stuff, I don't have a n3ds, this is all made with info available in the community, though I would like someone I could work with to test everything (@Ronhero would probably be up for the job :D) I really need to get off of my lazy butt and work on this guide more, but college and other things have been more important lately... Hopefully I can get this thread updated fully soon

Reactions: Ronhero

temper999

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually I am only reading alot about CFW and so on. This makes it also more confusing that doing that stuff on real hardware.
I have to play some Retail Games to the End until trying CN.

So for now my plan looks as followed:
  1. CN Hax from Retail
  2. Install FBI
  3. Install CN as CIA
  4. Launch CFW from CN CIA
So in this case I think there is no need for the MSET Downgrade.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I am only reading alot about CFW and so on. This makes it also more confusing that doing that stuff on real hardware.
I have to play some Retail Games to the End until trying CN.

So for now my plan looks as followed:
  1. CN Hax from Retail
  2. Install FBI
  3. Install CN as CIA
  4. Launch CFW from CN CIA
So in this case I think there is no need for the MSET Downgrade.

There is no way to launch the CN CIA without the CFW so yes you'll need to use MSET or keep the original CN cart ;)

Explanation: when you install a CIA like this it isn't signed by Nintendo and therefore cannot be launched with an unmodified native firmware, what a CFW does is modify the native firmware in the RAM and bypasses the signature checking code allowing you to launch unsigned CIAs, which in this case means cubic ninja... So if you want to start CFW then for n3ds you'll need either; a physical copy of CN or MSET

Trust me on this one, this was my plan of attack when I first got into this stuff, and I still launch my CFW from MSET ;)

EDIT: I also should mention that there soon may be a way to get ROP under 8.x MSET (it is possible and once released should help with these n3ds issues) what this means basically is, 8.x MSET installed on sysNAND and booting from it with superstable 3d support and MicroSD manager accessible from the settings :)

Reactions: temper999

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
For CN, this is covered in the ninjhax and otherapp section you will however need a physical copy of cubic ninja to install CFW and if you want to sell it after then you'll need the MSET exploit, you can get a separate CIA for the microSD management and it works without booting into CFW, not really sure on the super stable 3d stuff, I don't have a n3ds, this is all made with info available in the community, though I would like someone I could work with to test everything (@Ronhero would probably be up for the job :D) I really need to get off of my lazy butt and work on this guide more, but college and other things have been more important lately... Hopefully I can get this thread updated fully soon

Yeah I still setup n3ds for people with gw or cfw as well as o3ds, oot saves and even have a CN rental program

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I still setup n3ds for people with gw or cfw as well as o3ds, oot saves and even have a CN rental program

Mostly I meant to help me verify my steps before they are posted I'll PM you next time I make a big edit (hopefully that'll be 2 days from now)

D

Deleted User

Just wanna say thanks to the OP for the guide, as it helped get both my friends AND my own 3ds consoles hacked, his from 2.2, and mine from 9.2!

Reactions: dark_samus3

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major overhaul started, guide should have enough info for o3ds users to get their sysNAND updated to 9.x for use with themehax and autobooting CFW!

As always keep in mind that this guide is a WIP, good luck everyone, hopefully my 3ds parts will get here soon so I can fix mine :yaynds:

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, o3ds guide SHOULD get you autoboot custom firmware (well you'll still have to hold L for the moment) shout outs to yellow8 and @delebile for homemenuhax and brahma 2 :yaynds:

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@dark_samus3 Well done, sir. Way to take initiative. I was just saying that the 3DS forum needed better structure so everything is easier to find. Any chance we could make this part of an AIO thread that includes all the homebrew and utilities thus far?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@dark_samus3 Well done, sir. Way to take initiative. I was just saying that the 3DS forum needed better structure so everything is easier to find. Any chance we could make this part of an AIO thread that includes all the homebrew and utilities thus far?
That's pretty much what it is right now, I do need to include legacy stuff like palantine CFW and I need to get my old guide back up for an MSET only installation but, after reading this guide you should be able to install most CFWs, convert 3DS ROMs to CIAs, install GBA firmware patch and convert GBA games to CIAs and (when I finally get around to it) inject any NES or GB(C) game to a virtual console CIA and install any *hax you desire :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...