Hacking [WIP] Complete Custom Firmware Guide

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this has been getting a lot of attention suddenly... The guide does need a bit of an update but I've been busy with homework and other things lately and haven't had time to update it... I hope everyone finds that it isn't too stale and has an easy time following it :)

Venat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is browserhax really the absolutely first thing, kinda makes me nervous connecting to the internet with no safety measures whatsoever yet.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, ok, I will wait, lol.
I'm really not sure what to do with it at the moment... I've been thinking on it all morning... may I ask what system version you're on? If it's 9.0-9.2 then follow it minus updating emuNAND otherwise I'll try to help, once we get it worked out then I'll update the guide

Venat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm 9.2. I have to read more about the matter before feeling confident enough to start, but the guide is a nice reference.

So, I should still start with browserhax but leave out updating emunand?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 9.2. I have to read more about the matter before feeling confident enough to start, but the guide is a nice reference.

So, I should still start with browserhax but leave out updating emunand?
Yeah, don't worry about connecting to the internet, on 9.2 there's nothing Nintendo can do to even detect what you're doing, so just follow the guide, there's even a note in there about if you're on 9.2 just skip updating the emuNAND...

If you really feel like waiting I've come up with a nicer method to make the install work properly :) though you wouldn't actually need to do that step anyways since you're already on 9.2, that's really the main issue, being *hax 2.x compatible is pretty necessary at this point since we use it to sort of "bootstrap" the CIA installation process

Venat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still have to figure some things out that don't really belong here, like what to do with my pre-installed game, so it will probably take a while.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the VC stuff going?
ugh, don't remind me. Still need to update this more. memchunkhax 2 is coming out so that'll be a slew of updates needed and I've been busy learning C and family stuff :P I think I'll eventually get to it. At the moment you can get most anything you want from "that ISO site"

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
ugh, don't remind me. Still need to update this more. memchunkhax 2 is coming out so that'll be a slew of updates needed and I've been busy learning C and family stuff :P I think I'll eventually get to it. At the moment you can get most anything you want from "that ISO site"
I think I can do it myself, just mainly asking for others; I might test that soon, guest segment? ;-)

Edit:
With C, watch your pointers and check EVERYTHING.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I can do it myself, just mainly asking for others; I might test that soon, guest segment? ;-)

Edit:
With C, watch your pointers and check EVERYTHING.
If you want to then sure!

Yeah I've been learning that the hard way XD. I'm not even using tutorials I just have been learning bash scripting for awhile and noticed a lot of things (switch statements, if statements, math and loops) are actually pretty similar so I've been making challenges for myself and then use google when I hit a wall

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
If you want to then sure!

Yeah I've been learning that the hard way XD. I'm not even using tutorials I just have been learning bash scripting for awhile and noticed a lot of things (switch statements, if statements, math and loops) are actually pretty similar so I've been making challenges for myself and then use google when I hit a wall
How many seg faults have you had?

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many seg faults have you had?
only a couple... one when I was trying to read a signed int as an unsigned int (that one kinda wasn't my fault... apparently one line absolutely HAD to be in the loop, if it happened before the loop then it still came out as an int somehow :P) and one tonight when i tried to do a string compare without my char being an array

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
only a couple... one when I was trying to read a signed int as an unsigned int (that one kinda wasn't my fault... apparently one line absolutely HAD to be in the loop, if it happened before the loop then it still came out as an int somehow :P) and one tonight when i tried to do a string compare without my char being an array
Happen to have a way to find the correct TID of the VC games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0