Windows XP unexpected shutdown error

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by BORTZ, Jun 9, 2010.

1. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ "I'm the captain now"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have Windows duel booted on my Mac Book Pro.

Heres the problem. When i boot into windows, I get partway through my desktop booting up and then BAM! i get a little error box with the red X icon.
    The error says "Windows has encounted an error and needs to shutdown." It gives me a timer of 60:00 seconds and then counts down. In that time i can open stuff, but when the timer runs out the programs i have open die because Explorer gets shut down. Then eventually the computer shuts itself down as well.

Im not sure whether its a virus or an actual problem.
    Solutions? I already tried doing a barrel roll. [​IMG]

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Safe mode work?

3. BlackDave

BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    The Promised Land...
    YOU'RE BACK!!! [​IMG]

On topic: Try Safe mode like Rydian said.

Does the other OS boot fine?

4. Elritha

Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Jan 24, 2006
    Canada
    Hold down the windows key and press R, alternatively start menu ->run. This should bring up the run dialog box. Type 'Shutdown -a' without quotes, this should cancel the timed shutdown.

Not a permanent fix, but it'll let you work and try to figure out what's wrong. Could possibly be a virus. There's a few that do this such as the Blaster virus. Make sure your Windows is up to date and do a virus scan.

5. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ "I'm the captain now"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Oh good call as well. I shall try those as well.

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The only time I've encountered that symptom is on a computer that my brother managed to fill with all sorts of viruses. Took a few hours to weed them all out (through virus, registry and boot scans as well as manually removing a couple myself). Nasty business.

7. Maplemage

Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Sep 23, 2008
    Why would you care?
    If the problem still is happening do a rollback, click Start and search rollback if you have windows 7 or vista, and follow it rollback the day when you didnt have the problem, but the programs you installed might be deleted I had the bluescreen of death D= everytime I turn off my computer the bluescreen of death comes and turns my computer on again so I rolled back and it was fixed =D