Windows Vista

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ZeWarrior, Jul 24, 2007.

1. striderx

striderx GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2007
    United States
    USA
    No likey...

Lots of compatibility issues. Mostly in networking for me.

It takes forever to enumerate every device on the network and seems to do it often.

I have networked printers and a networked all in one. The AIO drivers are a subset of the XP versions (blame HP I guess for that). If I haven't printed or scanned with these devices for I while, Vista forgets that they're installed and I have to reinstall the drivers.

I own a copy of Ultimate, but now I'm waiting for Vista SP1 before I try installing it again. :/

striderx

2. funwithplaydough

funwithplaydough Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2006
    United States
    I'm using Ableton 6 and most of the Native instrument VSTi plugins without any problems on Vista. My friend is running Innuendo and some random VST instruments without issues as well. Only problems I ran into was with some older video editing programs, so I had to google myself some newer versions.

3. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
    Well, i only like the graphical changes in it

4. jelbo

jelbo Ōkami!

Sep 12, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    What's causing the RAM eating is called SuperFetch; it loads regularly used apps into RAM for faster starting. Can be turned off though.

5. yus786

yus786 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2006
    Bradford
    how do i turn it off mate?

regards

yus786

6. Spikey

Spikey Your Special Someone

Mar 16, 2006
    United States
    So how many kittens did you just kill? [​IMG]

7. TLSpartan

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    He killed 3 kittens.

8. jimmy j

jimmy j Awesome for hire.

Apr 22, 2007
    the congo
    Native Instruments are #1, I'm not surprised their stuff works ok.

Still, I'm currently running XP pro and I turn off all the windows visual effects so everything can be dedicated to running audio, instruments and fx. What's the point in me buying Vista when it's main selling point is the visuals?

9. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    [​IMG]

It breaks devkitPro. Sure, there are workarounds, but it "just works" on both XP and Linux.

10. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    Actually, back when I made this topic I only had OS X and XP installed on the macbook. Now I have OS X and Vista. Before OS X and XP ran fine with 512MB of RAM but since I installed vista I literally HAD to get 2gb of ram for it to run smoothly. Yet it still gets a few crashes a day. Anyway I like Vista but not as much as XP. Still I wouldn't go back to XP's GUI EVER. Compared to Vista's/OS X it's just so ugly.

11. KarmaUK

KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2007
    I used it for a day, but it ate FPS so I reinstalled XP, however this was about 2 weeks after retail was released and there may have been some updates.

Just for the record it's not a problem with my PC, (X2 4400+ at 11x250, 2x1GB OCZ Plat at 1:1 and 2x7950GTs stock, (yes ok they aren't not DX10 but there's enough GPU power for sure)) and I did a little tweaking.

12. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    Your way behind, you need to upgrade to a E6600 or higher^ The X2 can't compare to an overclocked E4300

13. kellyan95

kellyan95 Banned

Banned
    Jul 4, 2007
    United States
    Have I mentioned how much Vista x64 Ultimate rocks? Well, it does. And faster than XP if you know what you're doing (patches, tweaks, vlite, ect...)

Playing Portal at 60FPS with max settings right now. Also rocks.

14. Azimuth

Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Feb 23, 2006
    Canada
    Sorry but tweaks don't count, comparing stock XP to Vista tweaked is unfair. Why not compare XP tweaked to Vista tweaked?

Portal rules!

15. kellyan95

kellyan95 Banned

Banned
    Jul 4, 2007
    United States
    I'm talking about a medium level XP tweak to high level Vista, IE what you can do without extra software. All the bells and whistles off, no unnecessary services/apps, ect

16. ZeWarrior
    OP

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    I bet you turned off Aero though right^

17. kellyan95

kellyan95 Banned

Banned
    Jul 4, 2007
    United States
    Most of the time, yes. But I often have a truly kick ass theme. Black Aero with the BioShock menu video (HD, ripped) running with Dreamscene as my background, along with a sidebar with a multitude of amazing gadgets

18. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Aero automatically turns off if you go full screen.

I'm also playing Portal at max settings MINUS motion blur with an average 8500GT. Vista isn't a hog :\

19. KarmaUK

KarmaUK GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2007
    Maybe if all I cared about was benchmarks, which in the past I did go though a phase of. I used to buy every generation of GPU and every overclockers dream CPUs, ie an AXP-M. With a lucky order I was actually one of the first people in England to get a X1800XT 512mb on release I was that keen on buying everything. Then one morning it just got boring after setting a new forum 3DMark05 record of 20k, and I starting spending money on my car instead, I haven't been to an overclocking forum since. [​IMG]

The X2 isn't a bottleneck so it doesn't warrant a new motherboard, RAM and CPU, and Vista certainly doesn't. Yet that is!

20. Mehdi

Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

May 31, 2004
    Netherlands
    Can you screen it? [​IMG]