Windows Vista

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ZeWarrior, Jul 24, 2007.

Jul 24, 2007

Windows Vista by ZeWarrior at 2:58 AM (3,591 Views / 0 Likes) 52 replies

1. ZeWarrior
    OP

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Who actually uses Vista here? I personally have a Mac but also have a Windows XP PC. I can't stand Vista, it's just a nicer looking XP with less program compatibility IMHO.

2. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I've got no problems with it. Program compatability is the same as XP for me and I have an 8800 so I need it for DX10. Most of the smaller additions are nice and it seems faster then XP for me.

3. ZeWarrior
    OP

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Actually many programs including Nero 7 appear to be non-working in Vista. I guess you got lucky with the programs you have :\

4. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I beg to differ. I have had no problems with Windows Vista. No errors, no compatibility problems whatsoever. I have Nero 7 working no problem just like a bunch of other programs. I had a little bit of slowdown when compared to Windows XP but that dosen't matter as I am switching back to Mac in about a month as I am going to buy a Macbook. Was originally a Mac user (had a Performa 580CD) but switched to Windows after the new millennium. Now that they have gone Intel, no reason to continue using a PC. Don't game and I have an interest in digital multimedia so Mac is the way to go for me.

5. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I haven't had any issues with Nero 7 and now there is a 'Vista Compatible' version available anyway.

Vista has the same issues that occur with almost any new OS release. Everyone complained about XP when it came out, and almost all of the complaints were exactly the same as with Vista. Compatibility is low, its slower, etc...

That said, and despite the fact I run Vista on both my desktop and my laptop, there really isn't any immediate need to upgrade to Vista. Those who suffered through the 9x path of Windows had a huge jump going to XP. However, those who have been running NT code for years (I've been using NT since the 3.5 days, geez I'm getting old). Haven't seen any major need to jump since 2000 came out. Sure XP and Vista have some flashier features, but if you just need a basic system, there really isn't that much more on offer.

6. looneyboy784

Newcomer looneyboy784 Member

United States
    The only program tha i have not been able to run on vista is Wolfenstein enemy teritory. I have gotten THe original Doom games, MDK, command and conquer, TIE Fighter,and Grim Fandango to work as well as many other old programs, DOS stuff need to be run in DOS Box however. Overall I now have a hard time using XP if only because Minesweeper is not scaleable in it.

7. dg10050

Member dg10050 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Running Linux with 170MB of RAM usage at boot time. That's out of 2 gigs. [​IMG]
    Beat that, Vista.

8. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    The question for Vista users should be.......

Well I dont know...

I had Vista on my laptop when I bought it, but the built-in card reader didnt work with Vista yet (still doesnt) so I down/upgraded (however you see it). I'll give it less than a year, THEN switch over. [​IMG]

9. When Im Gone

Banned When Im Gone Banned

United States
    I had Vista preloaded on my laptop and it was very slow ( Note that I have 3Gb of RAM) and alot of games and programs don't work with it. Also alot of hardware doesn't work with it. So I just stick with good ol' XP. Alot faster and reliable.

10. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Wolfenstein 3D doesn't work on Vista! I was so pissed!

11. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    GNOME hogs up way too much ram.

12. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    tinyXP beats that [​IMG]

13. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    ***Warning, it's a bit of a rant***

I have to use Vista at work once a week. Let me tell you, I hate it a little more every time. The system idles at around 400mb of ram and that's after I spent the bulk of my first day with it turning off its many "features." I have been a hater of Microsoft's layers of gloss since XP and I know how to strip it down pretty fast to the 2000 look. Vista, however, isn't so forgiving. Since I do enjoy making lists as my history has shown, here's another one...

-In the file explorer, you must go all the way outside the data fields in details mode to drag a selection. This is very annoying since I have multiple windows up and don't want them stretched all the way accross my screen. In XP, you only have to select outside of the file name to start a marquee. Doesn't sound like much if you haven't dealt with it, but it's terrible.

- The explorer decides how to sort my files for me. I tend to sort by type, but when I drag something in a window, it assumes I want it in that specific spot and stops sorting the files.

-I use a stylus and Vista thinks it's pretty to have little circles of light pop up whenever I touch the tablet. When you're working with pixels, this tends to really get in the way. I had to turn off that and other tablet pc functions (on a desktop) in no less than 3 locations.

-As I said, this monster eats a lot of ram. Even when I open the task manager and view all the user's processes, the numbers don't even seem to add up. I can't even drag a selection in photoshop smoothly. Terrible.

-They dragged all their other software into the new Vista look. Office keeps getting more and more features without solving any problems

The true number of problems I have with Vista aren't even known. I try very, very hard not to use it too much since I only have to deal with it once a week so there could be more waiting for me. I am also unaware of software issues since I only use it for work. I will not go willingly back to that OS until, for some unforseen reason, I have no choice. It's sad that since I enjoy using professional software (so much for linux) and hate Macs even more (I hate bloated OS's), I may have no choice one day.

14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Tried it over the course of several days recently (updates and all) and when it was first dropped and can safely say I was very unimpressed.

Nero: there are alternative tools that are far superior so who cares about that.

DX10, DX10 cards were greatly overpriced when I was building a few months back and things have only just started to change. It seems there are some efforts to "port" stuff back as well which is nice.

Gloss, I hated having to "hack" the registry on XP to get control on my machine but michaelf went through all Vistas equivalent.

Hardware: I have stuff that still functions great and does the job of anything made recently: drivers (even hacked together ones): nonexistant, this may not be vistas fault per se (not sure how a compatibility layer could function) but then again I could build an all singing all dancing car but it would not mean squat it was not road legal.

General stuff: my experience pretty much mirrors michaelf's although I will say a lot of that is on XP as well. Don't get me started on "security" either.

Resources, even after about 4 hours (actual tweaking time, not including research) and all the apps, forum posts, articles , common sense, I could just get it down to moderate resource levels. This also meant losing most of things that made it "better".

Personally I will stick with my copy of XP with the guts ripped out and replaced: I too hate bloated OS releases especially when the bloat is all junk that could be bettered with a half hour session on VB:
    inbuilt "zip", right
    calculator, ok then
    CD burning, I suppose if you into that sort of thing explorer integration may be a plus
    wordpad, I will give them that one as office is a different tool but still
    notepad, it has got better but notepad++ still beats it
    IE, what can be said that has not already
    regedit, OK so average joe may not use it except when they get a virus but it still is useless.
    tweaking: I can accept some stuff has to be buried but the amount of stuff that is is obscene.
    paint, hmm.
    av stuff; I use volume control and nothing else really. I suppose that might change if I wanted to watch DRM stuff but I so far have not needed to.
    security: passable at best.
    outlook, I do not use email really so this one does not bother me. I suppose the "newsgroup" support could be mentioned though.
    Support tools: defrag, format,
    Also "and I have an interest in digital multimedia so Mac is the way to go for me.", I figured I might as well learn to use a mac a while back: what possibly does the mac line of stuff have over any other alternatives in the video, audio or still image world?

This being said I use a computer every day and require high performance for lots of stuff, do a fair amount of "obscure" tasks, use a lot of "odd" hardware and have no need or desire to have my hand held through everything so anything that upsets that irks me, perhaps if it came bundled on a machine for a less computer literate person would I be inclined to leave it, would I put it on a machine I am building for someone? would I hell.
    I can see the potential of Vista though, it just seems that MS is doing everything in their power to shoot themselves in the foot or redo ME/non x86 versions of windows.
    I suppose it is ironic that MS seem to have forgot that they got where they are by offering cheaper, yet usable, stuff than competitors.

15. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I just checked to see how much memory is being used with only FireFox and iTunes open. 1GB out of 2GB. That makes no sense at all.

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I avoid Itunes as best I can but I recall it being a memory hog and the tendency of firefox to eat ram (especially with a few choice extensions) is well documented.
    1 gig does seem a bit much though.

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Ugh I have vista on my new PC and I hate it!

I play a lot of older games and they always crash. Programming is also a pain as I get random errors which go away after I reboot.

New games work fine though.

18. Legend

Member Legend .missing

Canada
    Vista? Pssh. Wtf is Vista anyway?

Honestly, I'd stay away from it, unless you have a beast of a computer. It takes way too many resources to run smoothly, not to mention the fact that if you're one of those folk that likes to have everything "legit", it's going to cost you an arm and a leg for the "Ultimate" version of vista.

Remember.
    Every time you purchase, download, install, or otherwise mention the use of Windows Vista, a kitten dies.

19. thespawn076

Newcomer thespawn076 Newbie

Netherlands
    vista is a good os amd that bullshit of that programs are not working on vista i hate that crap because vista can also use xp files and they work i have it working so i dont get it why people are all negative about vista i think that the people that are negative about vista don't know what it can do and also people that are negative about vista have most of the time a crap pc

20. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    I use a lot of music programs (reason, sonar, ableton etc.) and also a lot of vsti plug-in instruments and effects.
    I'm not upgrading to vista because I know for a fact that some of these applications are not compatible, and the fact that they are all inter-linked means vista will be nothing but trouble for me.