Windows service pack 2 (mid 2012)

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This shouldn't supprise anyone to be honest.

It certainly doesn't supprise me. I don't even use windows anymore outside of virtualizing. I use Arch Linux and Debian , both rolling release distros. As a result I get updates, hotfixes, etc every few days.

Service Packs for windows are no different than major releases for Linux distros.,

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
A proper working Windows Update would be nice. Never going to happen though, it hasn't ever worked right and they don't care.
I've done a lot of reinstalls, and the only times I see Windows Update fail anymore are these two cases.

1 - Third-party software fucking with this it shouldn't be.
2 - The computer losing power or something in the middle of an update, leaving the update info inconsistent. This is the most common cause, and the only sure-fire fix is a repair install (which is pretty painless of Vista/7, thankfully).

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
cwstjdenobs said:
A proper working Windows Update would be nice. Never going to happen though, it hasn't ever worked right and they don't care.
I've done a lot of reinstalls, and the only times I see Windows Update fail anymore are these two cases.

1 - Third-party software fucking with this it shouldn't be.
2 - The computer losing power or something in the middle of an update, leaving the update info inconsistent. This is the most common cause, and the only sure-fire fix is a repair install (which is pretty painless of Vista/7, thankfully).

Automatic updates still don't. And if you haven't updated for a while (my Win 7 install is pretty much just for games) or had to do a clean install there are way too many hours of checking updates, getting them going, clicking yes a few times for some, restarting the computer, checking for updates...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Automatic updates still don't.I've never encountered automatic not working when updates at all worked.

QUOTE(cwstjdenobs @ Jun 11 2011, 09:14 PM) And if you haven't updated for a while (my Win 7 install is pretty much just for games) or had to do a clean install there are way too many hours of checking updates, getting them going, clicking yes a few times for some, restarting the computer, checking for updates...
Yeah, Microsoft needs to put out more service packs so that can be mitigated somewhat.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
cwstjdenobs said:
I've set up legit XP, Vista and 7's on tons of computers at work and Windows update works properly on all of them...

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
cwstjdenobs said:
I've set up legit XP, Vista and 7's on tons of computers at work and Windows update works properly on all of them...

All of mine have being legit. Well maybe the Automatic Update needs a rename or something. It checks for them on it's own, but has never installed even critical security updates on it's own.

I have primarily used a Linux distro of one flavour or another for that long now though I'm probably spoiled when it comes to package management and missing something that's obvious to others.

Also their update servers are way too slow. Not a major problem, but still annoying when it's paid for.

But meh, I didn't want to turn this into a "Windoze sucks teh balls" sort of thing. I thought these would be common problems.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The article for the supposed info is from January....of 2010. This is the shittiest news ever. We already knew there would be a Service Pack 2. That was obvious as soon as Windows 7 was announced. The article with the release date is of questionable age too.

Worst. News. Submission. Ever.

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Costello said:
cwstjdenobs said:

i work at summit direct computers.
today i formatted/reloaded 6 machines already (its only 2:24 pm right now) and did full updates to the latest,

all machines took all the updates no problem.
drivers AND software all update fine.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
terminal_illness said:
i work at summit direct computers.
today i formatted/reloaded 6 machines already (its only 2:24 pm right now) and did full updates to the latest,

all machines took all the updates no problem.
drivers AND software all update fine.

Yes the updates go fine. But like I said automatic update never updates anything automatically. You have to do it manually. Do you know how to fix that?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
The article for the supposed info is from January....of 2010. This is the shittiest news ever. We already knew there would be a Service Pack 2. That was obvious as soon as Windows 7 was announced. The article with the release date is of questionable age too.

Worst. News. Submission. Ever.
ROFL!!! Thank you so much for pointing that out. I needed a good laugh. You are my best friend today.
yay.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
There's two "automatic" settings. One only downloads the updates, and the second one downloads and installs.

You mean this one at the top?

Windows_7_Install_Guide_22_png.jpg

Yeah that's the one I'm selecting and have being since XP. Never seen it work once without people running Windows update themselves. Hence me asking someone who installs this for a living if I was missing anything.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Rydian said:
There's two "automatic" settings. One only downloads the updates, and the second one downloads and installs.

You mean this one at the top?

Windows_7_Install_Guide_22_png.jpg

Yeah that's the one I'm selecting and have being since XP. Never seen it work once without people running Windows update themselves. Hence me asking someone who installs this for a living if I was missing anything.
No, go into Windows Update, select Change Settings, and choose the setting highlighted in the screenshot below.
f99c7d5c9445db5973905dfd2f80e825e315eecded4dbfd9a09b97c01c8cac136g.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout