Windows Randomly Soft Freezing

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a generic response a fresh install of Windows could potentially help too but as a last resort if nothing above works.
I had a similar issue where Windows Explorer would randomly refresh itself till the point it drove me crazy to reinstall the OS lol

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a generic response a fresh install of Windows could potentially help too but as a last resort if nothing above works.
I had a similar issue where Windows Explorer would randomly refresh itself till the point it drove me crazy to reinstall the OS lol
He's already tried a (what I assume is fresh) install on a separate hard drive, so it's not that I don't think

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Im 100% sure it isnt the fault of my HDD cause i installed a new one that was never used. I installed Windows on it and then the Issue was still there
sluggish performance and freezes are almost always 2 things, memory or disk drive.
tip number 6 disables certain function in the driver that is being forced even when the hardware doesn't support it, causing bad performance (sometimes so bad that it freezes the system). it has nothing to do with faulty hardware.

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sluggish performance and freezes are almost always 2 things, memory or disk drive.
tip number 6 disables certain function in the driver that is being forced even when the hardware doesn't support it, causing bad performance (sometimes so bad that it freezes the system). it has nothing to do with faulty hardware.
So i tried number 6 but my HDD only used the Drivers atapi.sys and ataport.sys

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
So i tried number 6 but my HDD only used the Drivers atapi.sys and ataport.sys
I previously repaired a laptop that didn't used storahci.sys but still had sluggish performance, you could try going to the registry and disable msisupported anyway, if the key and dword value don't exist you need to create them (I had to in that laptop), after I did that the laptop worked as fast as it should. the worst that could happen is nothing at all.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would do a few things:

Run a disk check software tool, this will check for bad drive sectors and overall disk performance. This will be the baseline and frontmost sanity check to see if it actually is a hard drive failure. Windows has one built in, but I have no clue on it's efficacy. There are plenty of free ones out there, CrystalDisk, HDTune, and PassMark are some of the major players. Most hard drive manufacturers also have a disk utility to check for errors as well.

Run a memory check tool. Again, this will be a sanity check for if memory is failing. Memtest86 is a nice one, and the one I use for RAM overclocking.

You should also make sure all your internals are secured properly. Unplug and replug everything (except maybe the processor/heatsink assembly). This seems to be a laptop, so probably the hard drive is the only thing you can really make sure is plugged in properly.

I would then try to do what Costello suggested with the Restore Point. You said it didn't work, but windows should have created a restore point upon first boot and setup of the system. See if restoring to that point fixes anything.

Next, verify your Windows system integrity. If anything is wrong with the operating system itself, this should catch it.

You can try going through your device manager and making sure all your drivers are up to date, but this takes some patience with hunting them down. Windows/Microsoft may have not grabbed the proper drivers when it did an update, which may cause issues.

You always have the half-nuclear and full nuclear option of reinstalling the operating system. Windows 10 has a "refresh install" option which will preserve personal data and effectively reinstall your operating system. The other option is to completely reformat, lose all non-backed up data, and try again.

Those are the easy solutions. I keep my computer liquid enough through backups that if something goes wrong, through a virus or other things, I can reformat, and reinstall and get core functionality back up in under 2 hours. If you want to seriously try and track down the issue, you're going to need to spend time familiarizing yourself with various windows utilities, including but notwithstanding Event Manager, forcing windows to crash and writing kernel dumps, and then reading them.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
Or you simply look in the Event Manager Wich was build years ago to show the User what's wrong if something is wrong before:
Formatting HDDS, change Registry Entries or blow the hole thing up[emoji6]

It logs everything from Hardware to Software, is build in every Windows Edition.

But then again you could spend hours of try and error till you might be lucky and find the Problem cause of simple luck. Could be lots and lots of causes.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Or you simply look in the Event Manager Wich was build years ago to show the User what's wrong if something is wrong before:
Formatting HDDS, change Registry Entries or blow the hole thing up[emoji6]

It logs everything from Hardware to Software, is build in every Windows Edition.

But then again you could spend hours of try and error till you might be lucky and find the Problem cause of simple luck. Could be lots and lots of causes.

Windows event logger most of the time is a convoluted mess of hoops to jump through providing less than useful reports. I've had an issue with Tabletop Simulator crashing when I close out of it. It tells me nothing. Just that the application hung, various IDs, and to check the action center, which is empty. Then an addition application error that just says it failed due to 0xc0000005 which is a memory violation. Great, that could mean almost literally anything. Reinstalling the program hasn't helped, but neither does this cause any serious issues.
I've also had a low memory error at 60% memory utilization. What does windows tell me? "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: chrome.exe (9828) consumed 1105186816 bytes, chrome.exe (7832) consumed 359268352 bytes, and chrome.exe (10568) consumed 342876160 bytes." Great, I know chrome eats memory, but I've got more than enough available.

Event viewer is nice, but don't try and make it out to be the end-all of problem management. It's an extra utility that gives general error codes. Codes that you can typically guess at what the problem is just by looking at the situation. If windows thinks everything is running smoothly, this won't help. Typically if windows can't recover from something, it will crash instead of hang. That's what the bsod is.

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
You see, I build computers for about 25 Years now. Did about 30 Certificates on MS Stuff not to mention on other vendors.
Build and Support hole Server Setup's from 2 too over 100 Clients running over several Servers.

What I can't understand in this Disscusion is that the Obvious thing (and this of cause is the Log) isn't even Mentioned instead he is told to change Registry Entry's, disable Drivers (Wich were running before and never seem to cause a problem), swap HDD's and so on.

I'm on your Side. EVM isn't easy to use but there are several ways to use it. And I find it quit easy to detect simple Things and even more complicated causes. There are things like Filters. But you are right of cause it needs to be used and read correctly Wich might be not so easy as well.

I don't want to offend anyone don't misunderstand me please. But like I said if you have a log, use it. That's what it's there for.

By the way an old school way of troubleshooting is simply disconnect everything and put it back in the system one after each other till the Problem occurs. Then there you go.

Hope nobody feels offended, that isn't my intuition. Just want to show that there are much better ways of troubleshooting than (I love this one) changing registry entry's.

Greetz
Windows event logger most of the time is a convoluted mess of hoops to jump through providing less than useful reports. I've had an issue with Tabletop Simulator crashing when I close out of it. It tells me nothing. Just that the application hung, various IDs, and to check the action center, which is empty. Then an addition application error that just says it failed due to 0xc0000005 which is a memory violation. Great, that could mean almost literally anything. Reinstalling the program hasn't helped, but neither does this cause any serious issues.
I've also had a low memory error at 60% memory utilization. What does windows tell me? "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: chrome.exe (9828) consumed 1105186816 bytes, chrome.exe (7832) consumed 359268352 bytes, and chrome.exe (10568) consumed 342876160 bytes." Great, I know chrome eats memory, but I've got more than enough available.

Event viewer is nice, but don't try and make it out to be the end-all of problem management. It's an extra utility that gives general error codes. Codes that you can typically guess at what the problem is just by looking at the situation. If windows thinks everything is running smoothly, this won't help. Typically if windows can't recover from something, it will crash instead of hang. That's what the bsod is.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I would do a few things:

Run a disk check software tool, this will check for bad drive sectors and overall disk performance. This will be the baseline and frontmost sanity check to see if it actually is a hard drive failure. Windows has one built in, but I have no clue on it's efficacy. There are plenty of free ones out there, CrystalDisk, HDTune, and PassMark are some of the major players. Most hard drive manufacturers also have a disk utility to check for errors as well.

Run a memory check tool. Again, this will be a sanity check for if memory is failing. Memtest86 is a nice one, and the one I use for RAM overclocking.

You should also make sure all your internals are secured properly. Unplug and replug everything (except maybe the processor/heatsink assembly). This seems to be a laptop, so probably the hard drive is the only thing you can really make sure is plugged in properly.

I would then try to do what Costello suggested with the Restore Point. You said it didn't work, but windows should have created a restore point upon first boot and setup of the system. See if restoring to that point fixes anything.

Next, verify your Windows system integrity. If anything is wrong with the operating system itself, this should catch it.

You can try going through your device manager and making sure all your drivers are up to date, but this takes some patience with hunting them down. Windows/Microsoft may have not grabbed the proper drivers when it did an update, which may cause issues.

You always have the half-nuclear and full nuclear option of reinstalling the operating system. Windows 10 has a "refresh install" option which will preserve personal data and effectively reinstall your operating system. The other option is to completely reformat, lose all non-backed up data, and try again.

Those are the easy solutions. I keep my computer liquid enough through backups that if something goes wrong, through a virus or other things, I can reformat, and reinstall and get core functionality back up in under 2 hours. If you want to seriously try and track down the issue, you're going to need to spend time familiarizing yourself with various windows utilities, including but notwithstanding Event Manager, forcing windows to crash and writing kernel dumps, and then reading them.
Actually, check disk is something done by the MS-Dos on Windows systems or whatever Dos the system has if not on Windows. The different programs that do the check, even if they are from hardware manufacturers, simply are a front-end, not a new algorithm. They do the exact thing typing into command line does, only more user friendly, that's all.

About the disk check, best way to fix hard drives for sure is this: Run CMD as administrator and type in this, "chkdsk C: /f /r /b", then schedule it when it asks and restart. Heads up, this can literally take even a full day on large HDDs (on my 2TB one it took 28 hours), but is guaranteed to fix any HDD issues if there are some.

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, check disk is something done by the MS-Dos on Windows systems or whatever Dos the system has if not on Windows. The different programs that do the check, even if they are from hardware manufacturers, simply are a front-end, not a new algorithm. They do the exact thing typing into command line does, only more user friendly, that's all.

About the disk check, best way to fix hard drives for sure is this: Run CMD as administrator and type in this, "chkdsk C: /f /r /b", then schedule it when it asks and restart. Heads up, this can literally take even a full day on large HDDs (on my 2TB one it took 28 hours), but is guaranteed to fix any HDD issues if there are some.
But it cant be the HDD because i installed one that was freshly bought it was in its original package it came with.

It actually isnt a Laptop its a Desktop PC so i can pretty much reconnect everything. I dont know why i still keep getting told its something with my HDD if it cant be that. It has to be my RAM or CPU thats Dying. Btw i noticed when it freezes my CPU Usage is at 99% but no Program in the Task Manager uses the CPU they are all at 0%

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But it cant be the HDD because i installed one that was freshly bought it was in its original package it came with.
Oh sry i accidently put my reply into the quote

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You see, I build computers for about 25 Years now. Did about 30 Certificates on MS Stuff not to mention on other vendors.
Build and Support hole Server Setup's from 2 too over 100 Clients running over several Servers.

What I can't understand in this Disscusion is that the Obvious thing (and this of cause is the Log) isn't even Mentioned instead he is told to change Registry Entry's, disable Drivers (Wich were running before and never seem to cause a problem), swap HDD's and so on.

I'm on your Side. EVM isn't easy to use but there are several ways to use it. And I find it quit easy to detect simple Things and even more complicated causes. There are things like Filters. But you are right of cause it needs to be used and read correctly Wich might be not so easy as well.

I don't want to offend anyone don't misunderstand me please. But like I said if you have a log, use it. That's what it's there for.

By the way an old school way of troubleshooting is simply disconnect everything and put it back in the system one after each other till the Problem occurs. Then there you go.

Hope nobody feels offended, that isn't my intuition. Just want to show that there are much better ways of troubleshooting than (I love this one) changing registry entry's.

Greetz

Fair enough, disabling drivers, editing registry, and swapping hardware are all extremes. Which Is why in my reply I suggested none of them. I keep tools around on my pc for simple diagnostics for when things go wrong. I treat my PC like others treat cars: when something is face value and unobviously wrong, test hardware with diagnostics first; the last thing you want to happen is a random and permanent unexpected failure. After that's solved, go through checking software. Non-destructive official ways to do it like restore and system integrity checks come first and will usually solve any problem with the operating system. After that comes the narrowing down of finding out what is wrong. For most people, this is too much of a pain and too hard to do; their only option is to start over again.

If OP had any extra clues to base it off of, we probably wouldn't be taking such a shotgun approach. But he doesn't think it's any one program in particular, and even if he did get some sort of error in the event manager, he probably wouldn't know how, or even want to go about fixing it. That's how it is with me. My time is more valuable to me than all my extraneous data. I keep my user files on my D drive and boot off my C drive. When windows finally decides to inevitably peter out, a question of not how, but when, I just reinstall windows on my C drive again and move on with life.

If I continue getting these silly low memory errors, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

You have any source for that information? I'm curious about this one.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a spare hard disk, I'd say try an older operating system, like 7 or 8.1. I recently had major issues with my older laptop suddenly choking to death on Win10, since recent updates are resource-hungry. The last Win10 update also broke driver compatibility with the integrated GPU. You lose the protection of recent CPU patches by not using Windows 10, but you get around 10-25% performance back. This solution was the only thing that got my laptop working, I tried multiple fresh installs of Win10, disk checks, malware scans, driver tools, completely zeroing out the drive and then a fresh install... I tried a lot of things, but just not using Win10 right now was the answer for me.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You have any source for that information? I'm curious about this one.
No matter what you use to do the disk check, it's always actually done by the Dos and no matter what, no user program has enough priviledges over the Dos for security reasons. Windows and generally only the OS is allowed to interract with it, reason why we get things like CMD or PowerShell. Disk check done during startup is done after the BIOS loads and before Windows does, so no program can interfere with it more than just call for the commands to be executed. The algorithm is exactly the same for those commands. Letting everyone just mess with the command instructions and algorithms would only increase security risks and could cause parts to fail. Better use a code that's guaranteed to work rather than one that may fry parts by accident, right?:P You CAN change the algorithm for disk checks and Dos commands though if you modify the Dos itself or are on OSs with increased functionality such as Ubuntu/Windows 2016/etc. (generally supercomputer/server OSs).

On topic now, thinking about this, I get a feeling the issue is somewhere no one mentioned... It's VERY likely it's the PSU causing the issue, it may suddenly give less charge, not enough to shut down, but enough to cause everything to hang and once something hangs due to low power, even if it goes back to normal it will stay frozen. Did you try pulling out any network cables by the way when it froze last time like I suggested? When it freezes, just pull out the network cable or whatever you are using and if it unfreezes it means that the issue is there. Additionally, do the fans just go crazy and get all loud when it freezes? I got a hunch...

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
No matter what you use to do the disk check, it's always actually done by the Dos and no matter what, no user program has enough priviledges over the Dos for security reasons. Windows and generally only the OS is allowed to interract with it, reason why we get things like CMD or PowerShell. Disk check done during startup is done after the BIOS loads and before Windows does, so no program can interfere with it more than just call for the commands to be executed. The algorithm is exactly the same for those commands. Letting everyone just mess with the command instructions and algorithms would only increase security risks and could cause parts to fail. Better use a code that's guaranteed to work rather than one that may fry parts by accident, right?:P You CAN change the algorithm for disk checks and Dos commands though if you modify the Dos itself or are on OSs with increased functionality such as Ubuntu/Windows 2016/etc. (generally supercomputer/server OSs).

On topic now, thinking about this, I get a feeling the issue is somewhere no one mentioned... It's VERY likely it's the PSU causing the issue, it may suddenly give less charge, not enough to shut down, but enough to cause everything to hang and once something hangs due to low power, even if it goes back to normal it will stay frozen. Did you try pulling out any network cables by the way when it froze last time like I suggested? When it freezes, just pull out the network cable or whatever you are using and if it unfreezes it means that the issue is there. Additionally, do the fans just go crazy and get all loud when it freezes? I got a hunch...
Was my first thought since I came here. PSU[emoji106]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos