tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Minox_IX said:
XP mode is only available for Win 7 Pro & Ultimate though, not Home Basic/Premium
tongue.gif
It only errors for me if I select starter on the download page.
So I assumed it'd work with home premium.

edit: there seem to be workarounds for it? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-x...win7,10213.html

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
XP mode is two components, though. It's microsoft virtual PC, with a pre-installed licensed copy of XP. Virtual PC is available for home versions, while the licensed preinstalled copy of XP is not.

EDIT: Wait, I just checked (I want to try out MSVPC anyways) and it's letting me download XP mode too, and I'm on Home Premium...

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
tj_cool said:
For people who still like XP, there is a free XP virtual machine for Windows 7 called XP Mode (you need to download it from the microsoft website).

The fun thing is that it can open single applications (instead of having all the other stuff like a virtual desktop etc), so you can use your XP programs on your windows 7 desktop side by side with the normal windows.

15done.jpg
XP mode is only available for Win 7 Pro & Ultimate though, not Home Basic/Premium
tongue.gif
Shouldn't be too much of a problem for anyone on the temp......most of us have.....resources

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*facepalm*
Are we now getting started on the whole xp mode thing? That's the biggest waste of money yet, it's virtual pc 2003 running windows xp. Not only is it an older version of vpc, the version that came thereafter, virtual pc 2007 is actually free to download. Most people will get an incompatible os error, but you can ignore it, because if you have a sufficient amount of RAM, you can even run win7 on xp. And there's even a better solution than that and it's called virtualbox. 100% free and it is not butchered by microsoft (they removed mac support). Only drawback to using a separate program is that you have to find an iso or create an iso yourself and install it onto the virtual machine (which takes some coffee, time, and a few clicks of the mouse). However I don't really fret about it. It's not like they still make money on those old OS'es anyways (save xp) plus the fact that it's a virtual os.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
any1 still using xp is just brain dead and got luck getting todays games working and looking amazing on xp!
Hi I'm running XP MCE 2005. Why am I still running it? Because its still supported and I haven't upgraded my PC in that time. Replacing an OS is a lot of hassle involving backing up data etc and that's something most people don't want to bother doing. I'm not bothered about the latest games because I know my PC can't run them, I just run Source mainly anyway.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Are we now getting started on the whole xp mode thing? That's the biggest waste of money yet, it's virtual pc 2003 running windows xp.
Actually, it's free.

In addition, the XP image is free (activated) as well, and comes as a pre-installed image, AND it comes with integration with the OS.

I'm on Home Premium and it let me install the XP image, gotta' reboot to see if it actually functions...

shadowmanwkp

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Are we now getting started on the whole xp mode thing? That's the biggest waste of money yet, it's virtual pc 2003 running windows xp.
Actually, it's free.

In addition, the XP image is free (activated) as well, and comes as a pre-installed image, AND it comes with integration with the OS.

I'm on Home Premium and it let me install the XP image, gotta' reboot to see if it actually functions...

I fail to see how a feature of windows 7 professional or up is free. You paid for that feature when you bought windows, or you have to upgrade your OS to use it. You simply got lucky with installing xp mode, because I certainly could not install xp mode on windows home premium and many other people can't install it as well. My point is that using an external program to run a virtual machine is much better. It is regularly updated, it still is supported, you can install way more OS'es than just xp and you can make several backups of your virtual hard disks as well. Windows xp mode in windows 7 is horribly outdated, heck you can even download a later version of virtual pc from the same microsoft site that runs much better. I fail to see the point of xp mode completely, they just could've made a special protected vhd file that is up for download. That way it is at least compatible with later versions, or you could import it into your favorite program.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shadowmanwkp said:
Rydian said:
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Actually, it's free.

I fail to see how a feature of windows 7 professional or up is free. You paid for that feature when you bought windows, or you have to upgrade your OS to use it. You simply got lucky with installing xp mode, because I certainly could not install xp mode on windows home premium and many other people can't install it as well. My point is that using an external program to run a virtual machine is much better. It is regularly updated, it still is supported, you can install way more OS'es than just xp and you can make several backups of your virtual hard disks as well. Windows xp mode in windows 7 is horribly outdated, heck you can even download a later version of virtual pc from the same microsoft site that runs much better. I fail to see the point of xp mode completely, they just could've made a special protected vhd file that is up for download. That way it is at least compatible with later versions, or you could import it into your favorite program.

It does not cost money to run the program (XP mode in this case)

It does however, cost money to buy the OS that runs it

Now back on to Windows 8:
I'm grabbing it at the moment but I hope Microsoft manages to make it run even faster than 7

shadowmanwkp

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
zeromac said:
shadowmanwkp said:
Rydian said:
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Are we now getting started on the whole xp mode thing? That's the biggest waste of money yet, it's virtual pc 2003 running windows xp.Actually, it's free.

It does not cost money to run the program (XP mode in this case)

It does however, cost money to buy the OS that runs it

Now back on to Windows 8:
I'm grabbing it at the moment but I hope Microsoft manages to make it run even faster than 7

That's what I said in the post....
You paid for that feature when you bought windows

You have to buy or upgrade to a certain version to use the program and it IS a selling point of win7 pro and higher and you will pay for that feature (even though they don't tell you). This means that some people will actually buy win7 pro or up because of this feature. Even worse is that you can just get a much better programs for free which are regularly updated, so there's not really a point to integrating some obsolete program into a modern OS.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shadowmanwkp said:
Rydian said:
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Actually, it's free.

I fail
You should have ended your post there...

XP Mode is not the only feature of the higher editions, so it's not the only selling point.
XP Mode is not very useful for the average user who will most likely do just fine with Compatibility Mode.
XP Mode is run through an external program. It is not part of Windows.
XP Mode also works under other Virtual Machine applications, like VMWare Player and Virtual Box.

shadowmanwkp

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
shadowmanwkp said:
Rydian said:
shadowmanwkp said:
*facepalm*
Actually, it's free.

sigh childish to edit it that way
You should have ended your post there...

XP Mode is not the only feature of the higher editions, so it's not the only selling point. never said that, I said it's ONE of the selling points, read, then reply
XP Mode is not very useful for the average user who will most likely do just fine with Compatibility Mode. Stick to the subject, I'm talking about the fact that xp mode is not really useful, because there are better programs, I'm not talking about the fact if it is useful for the average user or not
XP Mode is run through an external program. It is not part of Windows. Even though you have to start it up as a program, it doesn't mean it is separate. Or else a lot of things like firewall, defender and the command prompt to name a few aren't integrated because you have to start it up as a program
XP Mode also works under other Virtual Machine applications, like VMWare Player and Virtual Box. Beats the purpose of using xp mode, because you then already use an external program, on which you can easily make a virtual machine

Especially the second and last arguments were terrible. The second is an argument that's not about the subject and the last doesn't add anything to your argument because it beats the purpose. If anything was fail and shouldn't have been made, then it would have been your reply. I haven't read ANY argument up to now that holds any water to what I have said.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
zeromac said:
Foxi4 said:
Infinite Zero said:
zeromac said:
Infinite Zero said:
Before that happens, I need to upgrade the laptop to 7 now!
ohnoes.png
My crappy 1.8GHZ laptop from 2006 can run Windows 7
rofl.gif
abeit without aero but i have to admit that 7 was hell of alot faster than Windows XP

I might snatch this up this week, see if there are any developments first

Seeing as my copy of Windows 7 has been found to be fake i need to upgrade anyways
happy.gif
I'll ask my parents about it. This laptop is hella slow though it has 3 GB of RAM. I'm just worried of all the files that I have.. and the games from Steam installed on my HDD..

What's your laptop's basic built (CPU/GPU) ? I can't think of a laptop with 3GB RAM jammed in that'd be "slow" unless there's zero to no maintenance performed on it periodically.

I'll guess - Acer? *shivers* You should probably get rid of all the brand software you have there and change them to things that actually work.
Mine is a Toshiba with 2GB of ram (which i bought cos it originally only had 512MB) And it runs 7 pretty darn well
An HP one. I haven't done maintenance on it for a while. I'll come back to it as soon as I'm not that pretty busy

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I can't actually RUN the installed XP mode on a copy of Home... which is kinda' stupid, so I'll alert Microsoft that the version selector on their page for XP mode is malfunctioning.

shadowmanwkp said:
Especially the second and last arguments were terrible. The second is an argument that's not about the subject and the last doesn't add anything to your argument because it beats the purpose. If anything was fail and shouldn't have been made, then it would have been your reply. I haven't read ANY argument up to now that holds any water to what I have said.Window/program integration with the host OS?

win7_xp_intro-thumb-640xauto-11659.png

Last I checked that's not available on the free virtualization solutions, but if it is, which one has it? I'd like to play with it.

EDIT: For those who are curious, the command to uninstall XP mode is...
CODEMsiExec.exe /X{1374CC63-B520-4f3f-98E8-E9020BF01CFF}

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XP mode isn't available on Home Premium so that's normal.

VirtualBox has a 'seamless mode' that does basically what XP mode does and 'hides' the Windows overlay. Though I don't think you can 'launch' an XP application this way which is once thing XP mode does allow.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To run XP Mode, you have to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. AND you have to have a CPU that supports running virtual PCs.

D

Deleted_171835

jumpman17 said:
To run XP Mode, you have to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. AND you have to have a CPU that supports running virtual PCs.
Actually, hardware-assisted virtualization isn't needed anymore.

There's a download on their site that allows you to run it would hardware-assisted virtualization. Also, if you look online, you can find a direct download of Virtual PC and XP Mode. Using that and a workaround (search the web), you can run it on Windows 7 Home Premium and Home Basic.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shadowmanwkp said:
never said that, I said it's ONE of the selling points, read, then reply
Stick to the subject, I'm talking about the fact that xp mode is not really useful, because there are better programs, I'm not talking about the fact if it is useful for the average user or notBut YOU were making it seem like the ONLY thing you get in Professional/Ultimate was XP Mode and that XP Mode was a -MUST HAVE- feature.

shadowmanwkp said:
Even though you have to start it up as a program, it doesn't mean it is separate. Or else a lot of things like firewall, defender and the command prompt to name a few aren't integrated because you have to start it up as a programWow... just wow.
So completely and incredibly wrong it's not even funny.

shadowmanwkp said:
Beats the purpose of using xp mode, because you then already use an external program, on which you can easily make a virtual machine
Except that it's available to people who don't own a copy of XP, so there's that.
You don't have to worry about activation...
Or setting it up...
Or anything else along those lines.

QUOTE(shadowmanwkp @ Apr 14 2011, 04:44 AM)
Especially the second and last arguments were terrible. The second is an argument that's not about the subject and the last doesn't add anything to your argument because it beats the purpose. If anything was fail and shouldn't have been made, then it would have been your reply. I haven't read ANY argument up to now that holds any water to what I have said.
Your whole posts are terrible.
If there was something I didn't read in your posts it's because it was so full of qq.

Also, I didn't edit your post. I only quoted part of it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
To run XP Mode, you have to have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. AND you have to have a CPU that supports running virtual PCs.The last thing changed, With 7 SP1 (or an optional update if you're not on SP1) you don't need hardware virtualization. They probably did that for companies using slightly older hardware.

QUOTE(macgeek417 @ Apr 14 2011, 12:00 PM) Pirated Windows 7 Ultimate here, why would you use anything other than Ultimate?!
Because having more disc space taken upand more resources used to run processes and services that you're not going to use doesn't make sense, especially when things such as IIS could be exploited if you're not careful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: