Windows 8.1 Announced.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, May 15, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    People said it was coming and it's already been discussed, so there's not much to type (other than "suck it naysayers!" or whatever), it's just official now.

[​IMG] Source

2. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    considering 4 beta builds had already leaked when I last checked LOL

Ergo likes this.
  3. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Yeah blue was leaked nearly a month ago.

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    So the start button does nothing but launching the metro page? Meh, and here I thought I can ditch Classic Shell.

5. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    So...I'll be sticking with Pokki, then.

6. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    I like how M$ is forcing metro, down our throats. Maybe I should force something of mine down other people throats. :unsure:

Yoshinecra likes this.
  7. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I don't mind the start screen at all. I barely use it. The desktop is still there and works just like it has since windows 3.1. People don't seem to get that. That's why the update codenamed blue is making the desktop screen the default when loading windows 8. People just love to hate change. The thing is a ton of the hate is coming from linux snobs who bashed windows for years for having the start menu. God I hate those hypocrites a lot!

8. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Next up in Flame news: History Channel stops showing hunting shows on prime time because of the blood, subsequently Flame complains about bloody shows on the History Channel being forced down our throats.

Gahars and chartube12 like this.
  9. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

[​IMG]

ferofax likes this.
  10. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Which reminds me to download Start8.

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Meh. That is all. Unless someone can convince me why Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 and doesn't have device driver compatibility issues....

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit has been stable. Never had a BSOD, never had drivers crashing, never had it randomly reboot on me. Works better than XP ever did.

There are ways around that UI.

12. Rizsparky

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Aug 13, 2007
    The Future
    YES! dump to desktop is a godsend..

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    At least I wouldn't have to pay for Windows 8. Thank goodness for having an MSDN license.

14. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Swaziland
    Nice. No release date?

15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    "Distributed via the Windows Store"
    Nooo, the Windows Store is horribly broken for me and refuses to install stuff 95% of the time. I'm guessing it's related to me using some pre-consumer version, but still.

16. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    I remember a time when Microsoft didn't make Windows broken at each new release..... oh wait....

17. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    I never thought i'd see the day when microsoft had to
    in their desktop OS

chris888222 likes this.
  18. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I'm tired of just about every aspect of the console, computer and video entertainment industry. The way they force unwanted methods on us all the time now and completely eliminate the old ways entirely. They've gone full retard and I'm sick of it. They're greed and arrogance knows no bounds. Frankly, it disgusts me.

I'm now practicing what everyone always preaches but never actually practices themselves. I'm speaking with my wallet and not buying into the BS any longer. I think current Win8, WiiU and Vita sales echo my feelings on the matter.

At some point, everyone reaches the limits of tolerance. I have reached mine and I think many others have as well. Not everyone is a sheep to be fleeced. Not everyone is a sucker who tolerates being manipulated into things they don't really want or need.

Money talks and bullshit walks. I'm calling bullshit on the industry and I'm walking.

Patxinco and tbgtbg like this.
  19. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    People may dislike Windows 8, personally I like it. Things change, if anyone thinks computers will always be the same, they're wrong because they will change, doesn't matter if you like the changes or not, things need to change eventually, willingly of forcibly. z.z

chartube12 likes this.
  20. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Speaking of Windows 8!

Does anybody else run Windows 8 64-bits and can get those three files:

-themeui.dll (in system32)
    -uxtheme.dll (in system32)
    -uxinit.dll (in system32)

They have to be unpatched (The clean files you get from a clean installation of Windows 8)
    Then could you put these in a .zip file and send them to me?
    The reason for this is that UltraUX Theme Patcher patches those three files to allow usage of many custom themes that couldn't work otherwise.
    However, there is a Windows update that completely messes up said files when installed, which leaves Windows unable to boot (screen flashes on and off, doesn't get anywhere.)

UltraUX Theme Patcher is supposed to backup those three files when you install it so that you can restore the backups when you want to uninstall it.
    Except that (obviously!) those files get messed up when backed up, so uninstalling just causes the same problem.

I'm going to attempt stuff to uninstall that properly (advice, never install it), but if nothing works, it'd be pretty cool if someone had those.

(I had found two other places where people had uploaded those three dll's so that people could fix the problem, but sure enough the files had been removed.)