Windows 8.1 Announced.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things change, if anyone thinks computers will always be the same, they're wrong because they will change, doesn't matter if you like the changes or not, things need to change eventually, willingly of forcibly. z.z
Now not that Windows is or has always been perfect in all ways, but as far a user interfaces go a saying comes to mind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I didn't like Unity on Ubuntu when it came around and I certainty don't like Metro, as far as touchscreen handheld devices go these are good ideas but they just don't do as well on a desktop in my opinion.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of just about every aspect of the console, computer and video entertainment industry. The way they force unwanted methods on us all the time now and completely eliminate the old ways entirely. They've gone full retard and I'm sick of it. They're greed and arrogance knows no bounds. Frankly, it disgusts me.

I'm now practicing what everyone always preaches but never actually practices themselves. I'm speaking with my wallet and not buying into the BS any longer. I think current Win8, WiiU and Vita sales echo my feelings on the matter.

At some point, everyone reaches the limits of tolerance. I have reached mine and I think many others have as well. Not everyone is a sheep to be fleeced. Not everyone is a sucker who tolerates being manipulated into things they don't really want or need.

Money talks and bullshit walks. I'm calling bullshit on the industry and I'm walking.
imo you are just being anti...

going from office 2003 to 2007 was hard as hell, everything was changed and nothing was in the same place... today I can hardly use office 2003...

going from xp to 7 (skipped vista, but is the same source) was hard as hell but if I use xp today I
feel like a limb is missing.

animals that don't get accustomed to climate changes just disappear, same for humans with technology...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Must be a slow news day.

So microsoft is announcing the return of the start button? Whoop-di-doo. I doubt it's going to make a difference in sales. Those still on 7 will just remain there. Those on 8...perhaps it's me, but why the hell haven't they already installed a third party start menu alternative if they wanted it? I just tried it for half a day and already knew that if I was to keep using it, it'd HAVE to have something like that.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Personally I have no need for a start button, I just need to press the windows button and I have everything I need there. z.z

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must be a slow news day.

So microsoft is announcing the return of the start button? Whoop-di-doo. I doubt it's going to make a difference in sales. Those still on 7 will just remain there. Those on 8...perhaps it's me, but why the hell haven't they already installed a third party start menu alternative if they wanted it? I just tried it for half a day and already knew that if I was to keep using it, it'd HAVE to have something like that.
I agree, they should just add a option for a start menu and be done with it.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Personally I have no need for a start button, I just need to press the windows button and I have everything I need there. z.z

While I generally agree with that sentiment, a Start button is REALLY useful when accessing a machine via LogMeIn, TeamViewer etc...

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just looking at metro makes me shudder. I'm sticking with 7 and if I ever need to upgrade to 8 I'll use something like classic shell. As for Ubuntu I'm sticking with lubuntu and avoiding unity like the plague

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was actually considering using 8 after 8.1 came out, until I found out that they still refuse to put the start menu back. The stupid button wasn't what people complained about. It was the menu it opened that people want back.

Apparently they somehow completely missed that. Most people understand that when a product fails, you fix the biggest complaints. MS's product failed, so they decide "We'll fix everything except the biggest complaints". WTF?

8 was bad enough that OEMs are selling pre-downgraded PCs and including their own start menus, enterprises simply rejected the product entirely, and the downgrade business for repair shops is booming.

Let's just say I won't be surprised when 8.1 fails as hard as 8 did.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it"...MS says: "It's broke, let's not fix it anyway."

Guess I'll be moving to 7 instead in a few weeks. Gotta get off XP...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1