Gaming Windows 7

ShadowLink92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I can't get Aero to work, no matter where I search online. I was hoping somebody could help me.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Doesn't aero require 128MB Video RAM? Do you meet the requirements?

Also, it really isn't worth it. At all. What how_do_i_do_that said is true. All my Win7 using friends hate it, especially Laptop users.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is a aero app that turns it off if your on battery power and turns it on when your plugged in ac. I don't remember where to download it again. You might be able to google it if your interested in it.

Aero on win7, it's process was moved from the GPU to the CPU. The downside is it eats 128-256MB of RAM to run. A far cry from Vista's version that demands you have the GPU processes aero.

ShadowLink92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 512 MB RAM and I'm running Win7 on an old Insignia computer.
laugh.gif
My graphics card is VGA and I don't know how to update that one. I like Aero because everybody else in my family has it but in Windows Vista, and it looks so cool+the effects.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think a bunch of you are just ragging on it because you don't have it, or something. Aero, is using 39MB on my laptop right now, even on full performance, I get over 3 hours of battery life. And this comment:

"There is a aero app that turns it off if your on battery power and turns it on when your plugged in ac. I don't remember where to download it again. You might be able to google it if your interested in it."

is ridiculous. Windows 7 turns off aero by itself when using power saving options.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
I think a bunch of you are just ragging on it because you don't have it, or something. Aero, is using 39MB on my laptop right now, even on full performance, I get over 3 hours of battery life. And this comment:

"There is a aero app that turns it off if your on battery power and turns it on when your plugged in ac. I don't remember where to download it again. You might be able to google it if your interested in it."

is ridiculous. Windows 7 turns off aero by itself when using power saving options.

Yeah I kind of jumped the gun on the Aero's RAM usage, but still Aero is a resource hog.

ShadowLink provide more detailed spec or at least your computers's model.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
How is it a resource hog? I have multiple windows open, with transparency and drop shadows, and it's not going over 45MB and 1% cpu when dragging windows around. ONE chrome tab is using 94 MB and I have a few open. Don't equate hardware requirements with actual system usage of resources. With DWM.exe and explorer.exe, it's using about 100MB of ram, and only 1% of CPU when I do stuff, I've had XP explorer.exe's use more than that.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then you must have a decent GPU.

In ShadowLinks case he probably has some shitty intergrated one, and Aero will take it toll on his CPU to make up for the GPU. Also he's running Windows 7 on 512MB which probably isn't the best combination.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hullo8d said:
Well then you must have a decent GPU.

In ShadowLinks case he probably has some shitty intergrated one, and Aero will take it toll on his CPU to make up for the GPU. Also he's running Windows 7 on 512MB which probably isn't the best combination.

That's true, when it comes to Aero, and W7, more is better. If you exceed the recommended requirements, W7 is very fast. If you don't, it can be fast, if you turn off all the fancy GUI bell's and whistles, but that's to be expected. I have a Core i5 with a Radeon 4650 HD M, so it's not a problem.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
hullo8d said:
Also he's running Windows 7 on 512MB which probably isn't the best combination.

This was my thoughts. I thought that for good/decent performance, you need 2 GB RAM for windows 7.

ShadowLink92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a video on youtube with Aero on a 512 MB RAM like mine. So I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I tried every possible thing I saw online and still no luck.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowLink92 said:
I saw a video on youtube with Aero on a 512 MB RAM like mine. So I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I tried every possible thing I saw online and still no luck.

All you have to do is believe.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look since your so infatuated with Aero you should follow this guide

This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk.

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk.

This gives you a run down of what windows 7 services are used for and how to tweak them out. Backup your Registry before you proceed. If you really are looking to get Aero working you should probably follow the Barebones section. This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk. That's pretty much the only shot you have to making Aero work as smooth as possible.

To give you an idea of how much improvement this adds, my setting a pretty similar to the tweaked section and and my Comp is using 1GB of Memory and has 0% CPU Usage with an occasional 3-5% spike. I have Firefox running and Bitdefender Agent running in the background and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: