Windows 7 Support End - Microsoft "discreet" reminds you.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by alexander1970, Apr 25, 2019.

1. alexander1970
    OP

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Wonder if we will have a good version of Windows to replace it as and when. Mind you I was watching some stuff the other day* and it seems my usual first pass thing that I would do to customise Windows like I would for 7 and 8 is not enough and I have to kick it a bit more old school with scripts and registry tweaks.

*not entirely what I was going for but somewhere near

Failing that I wonder if some people could be persuaded to give Linux a go. Between most things being web based these days and much open source software being good for people that just want to do then I could see something.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere Thank you for calling tech support this is mike

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    The dream you desire is windows 10 ltsc
    No bloat
    No UWP
    No shit
    Its the paradise for windows 7 users

4. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    just learn ubuntu besides most smart companies know not to use windows

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While it is an official one and thus has more going for it than some of the similar things that have been popular since at least XP (with people also making ones for earlier editions around that time) I am slightly hesitant there. Their focus on embedded systems doing that for me.

I am no stranger to running odd versions of Windows against what they are aimed at (various people had the server equivalent of Vista when Vista was busy being awful but XP was not what they needed).

Could be worth a punt though, especially for a gaming system if I build another before a suitable replacement for 10 appears. Might have to evaluate it alongside the stuff above when I do that.

Thanks.

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    At least this time, Microsoft isn't being manipulative with their messages, like they were with the Windows 10 offer. When doing the free Windows 10 upgrade offer, they only provided "upgrade now" or "upgrade later" options, not making it obvious that one could just exit out of the window.

That all being said, it is highly recommended that anyone still using Windows 7 update to either Windows 10 or an actively supported Linux distribution. One can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free, if you know what you're doing.