Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
My acer laptop qualified for a free upgrade to home premium, so I think I'll sell that when it gets here.

Are you really so sure you can? On PC's with Recovery Partitions, they prompt you to make back-up discs, which is basically your OS on disc, but its only able to work with the serial no. on your motherboard.

Theres no telling if Acer will send you an OS free upgrade thats been tweeked only to work on your Acer machine.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Rock Raiyu said:
I told my friend about it. He's going to buy it as well...lucky bastard.
frown.gif
lol. blame your parents. Tell them they should hae made you a year soon
laugh.gif

dry.gif
I feel bad as it is...stop rubbing it in.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
chrisman01 said:
My acer laptop qualified for a free upgrade to home premium, so I think I'll sell that when it gets here.

Are you really so sure you can? On PC's with Recovery Partitions, they prompt you to make back-up discs, which is basically your OS on disc, but its only able to work with the serial no. on your motherboard.

Theres no telling if Acer will send you an OS free upgrade thats been tweeked only to work on your Acer machine.

true... but from the sound of it they're sending me an actual copy of home premium. Maybe it'll just be geared towards acers...

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Read this...

and I quote from the website

" Individual must be a student at a U.S. educational institution and must be actively enrolled in at least 0.5 course credit and be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request.

Microsoft or Digital River may contact you to verify that you are a current student. If documentation is not provided indicating that you are a current student, you will be liable to reimburse Microsoft for the difference between what you paid and the estimated retail price of the software.

Microsoft, in their sole discretion, may accept other forms of validation to determine eligibility in lieu of a valid e-mail address when one is not available. "

oh well, my GF is in college so I'll just use hers...

but beware if you do use the info I mention Below

www.australia.edu gives out FREE .edu email addresses. and that offer accepts that address.

BUT take into consideration the disclaimer I posted above.

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
PBC said:
Hey PEOPLE!!!

www.australia.edu gives out FREE .edu email addresses. and that offer accepts that address.

Have fun! Hope people read this![/u]

perhaps the original poster should update their post with this information

Technically, you're right.

HOWEVER if you read the terms, Microsoft has the right to check and make sure you're going to school. If they see you used a bogus address, you could get in trouble. That or they would just deny your order.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, too bad I don't know any college people nearby, I'd ask them to let me get it through them, front them the money, and pay them in beer for helping me out XD

I also tried to get in on that free upgrade for laptops, turns out those dumbasses at MS purposely made the June 26th- Dec 2009 date SPECIFICALLY to disadvantage the graduates who got one in early June as a gift. My brother got his about a week before the 26, and he doesn't qualify. Those idiots at MS missed their target audience, and watch them dump vista for that god awful mac osx. >_<

Vista is crap when you think about it, especially when compared to XP and Win 7
tongue.gif

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Vista is crap when you THINK about it? You DON'T have to think about it!

This laptop hasnever crashed or had any major problems, but on almost EVERY other Vista computer I've seen, Vista crashes, is waaay too slow, or just plain doesn't work.

If you left my mom's desktop running then left the room for 30 mins, when you come back you'll see Vista's blue screen of death. AKA it freakin' crashed AGAIN.

Mac OS X doesn't crash as often, but it DOES have the spinning ball of death... a LOT in my experience...

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Giga_Gaia said:
I got it for free on MSDNAA, don't see why I should go for 30$ or 200$.
Same here.
Who needs a special $30 offer when your college or university takes care of it?
nyanya.gif

Still a great offer, though. Any student in the world should be able to get legal Microsoft software for as cheap as possible, no matter if your college pays the MSDNAA license fees or not.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Vista is crap when you THINK about it? You DON'T have to think about it!

This laptop hasnever crashed or had any major problems, but on almost EVERY other Vista computer I've seen, Vista crashes, is waaay too slow, or just plain doesn't work.

If you left my mom's desktop running then left the room for 30 mins, when you come back you'll see Vista's blue screen of death. AKA it freakin' crashed AGAIN.

Mac OS X doesn't crash as often, but it DOES have the spinning ball of death... a LOT in my experience...
you wouldnt see a BSOD because it would automatically restart its self d:

chrisman01

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
AHA! you CAN'T get 7 from MSDNAA!

It says you need to get a login and password from your network admin for your school! I highly doubt he'd be handing out stuff like that to every single student.

This offer from MSDNAA seems to be geared towards the teachers, not the students
frown.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usually in a lot of schools you have to be a major with something involving computers to get access to it (programming, networking, engineering, etc...)

if you look on the screenshot it says "special service for all CSC students"
so someone who is a bio major, or english, math, etc... cannot access the site

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...