Windows 7 not recognizing built in bluetooth

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by TheJorsh, Jul 24, 2011.

Jul 24, 2011
  1. TheJorsh
    OP

Newcomer TheJorsh Advanced Member

United States
    I have an Inspiron 5010 with Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Got it for my birthday last month. Pretty decent laptop, but there’s one problem.
    Every time Windows installs an update, the built-in bluetooth disappears.
    This has happened before.
    The first time was a couple weeks ago, the Bluetooth wasn’t working.
    I checked, and it wasn’t in the system tray any more.
    I found the program, C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\Btttray.exe,
    tried to run it, and nothing happened.
    I used Dell’s live chat to figure it out, the guy ended up reinstalling the drivers, and it worked fine.

Now it’s happened again, but reinstalling the drivers didn’t help.
    I used Dell’s chat thing again, but this time the guy had no idea what he was doing, and uninstalled the drivers completely, along with the program in C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\.
    Then when he tried to reinstall them, we got the message “activate Bluetooth device using wireless switch.”
    Switched the wireless off and on, and it did nothing.
    He then told me to turn off the computer, take the battery out, hold down the power button for 40 seconds, then put it back together, turn it on, and see if that helped.
    He said he’d have someone call back in an hour.
    It didn’t help, I tried reinstalling the stuff myself and it didn’t work.
    They called back two and a half hours later, didn’t listen to anything I had to say, and told me to wipe the computer clean and reinstall everything.

I’d rather not do this right now, and I’m pretty sure this can be fixed without doing it.

Since then, I HAVE checked BIOS, and it does recognize the built in bluetooth.
    It’s not a problem with the hardware, it’s definitely software.
    I’ve tried reinstalling the drivers and the bttray stuff again, and the drivers (this and this ) still give me the “activate bluetooth using wireless switch” message, and the other program (here) gets stuck at the very beginning, saying “please plug in or turn on your Bluetooth device.”

So basically Windows 7 isn’t recognizing the laptop’s built in Bluetooth any more, and I can’t figure out how to fix it.
    Can someone please help me with this?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Have you tried finding drivers from the Bluetooth device manufacturer instead of through Dell?

Also, have you tried finding older drivers instead of the ones they posted on their site?

3. TheJorsh
    OP

Newcomer TheJorsh Advanced Member

United States
    Yes, I tried what was available on Broadcom's site, and that didn't work.
    No, I haven't tried older drivers, because I can't seem to find any.

Also, system restore.
    Does it change EVERYTHING back to how it was, or only the system settings/drivers etc.?
    I'm getting mixed answers on this.
    Some are saying it doesn't, some are saying it does.
    Basically, I downloaded a few more music albums to my laptop the other day.
    If I use system restore to see if that fixes my problem, will my music still be there, or will it get rid of it?

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Your music will not get deleted by system restore.