Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's things like this that make me wonder why people aren't moving to Linux in droves. Windows is like getting sodomized with a broomstick, and just saying "well it plays my games" while shrugging. Like, I'm constantly getting articles in my news feed about how Windows breaks or removes something that greatly hinders productivity, or like your claims about Microsoft's obvious anti-consumerism. I just don't get why people don't value their time and experience more than this.

Also, I didn't come here to just rant about Windows. Sorry it turned into that, but this does offer a great Segway. OP, install Linux. With aging hardware like yours, you're likely going to have a much better time. If you want something that'll feel familiar, and be easy to use, I recommend LMDE. As an added bonus, it's one of the few distros that still offer a 32bit variant, so it's rather easy to install on legacy machines.
https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Just use Rufus to create an install USB, boot into it, and click "Next" a bunch until it's installed. It's as easy as installing Windows.
...because, even considering how much easier it is to get into now than ever before, Linux is NOT ready for everyone to move to en masse. I use it as a secondary OS, and watching things improve so much year after year is very promising.. but, it still has a cost of entry. That cost is some technical knowledge of how your computer works. There's also an overwhelming number of DEs, distros, kernels, etc. It is not a plug n' play OS, regardless of the route you go. I have been playing with Linux for the better part of the last decade, tried to get family and friends into it, and they ALL went back to Windows. I can promise you, there's a reason for that.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Recently attempts to download other browsers through it are met with intrusive popups that tell you to keep using Edge.

BS. Agaiin, I've been using Win11 since launch and have never once had an ad in explorer, never once forced to use Edge, and never once has Edge/Windows ever shown me a popup suggesting me to use Edge when trying to download any other browser from within Edge.

It's things like this that make me wonder why people aren't moving to Linux in droves. Windows is like getting sodomized with a broomstick, and just saying "well it plays my games" while shrugging. Like, I'm constantly getting articles in my news feed about how Windows breaks or removes something that greatly hinders productivity, or like your claims about Microsoft's obvious anti-consumerism. I just don't get why people don't value their time and experience more than this.

I second this, I try to use Linux as much as possible. I really hate to say it, but I use Arch btw

It doesn't make me wonder whatsoever because it's for the most part complete nonsense. Using since Oct 2021 and I have never experienced the things Plazorn has spoken about and I have never had anything break or had any sort of productivity hindered.

I see the articles too, about this and that broke from a Windows update. None of them have ever happened to me and the majority of others. Tthe people effected are an INCREDIBLY small number. It's always "OMGZ!!! USERS REPORTING BLAH BLAH BLAH WINDOWS BROKEN AFTER UDATE!!!!" then you check the source and it's like 10 people in the entire world that have reported the issue. LOL!

If Linux is your guys thing, great. Use what you like to use. But stop believing everything you read about Windows because most of the negativity is either flat out not true, very over-exaggerated, or only effecting a VERY small number of people running Windows 11.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I have been playing with Linux for the better part of the last decade, tried to get family and friends into it, and they ALL went back to Windows. I can promise you, there's a reason for that.
I have been for twice as long, and have gone through the same experience. The thing is, though, is that Linux is completely different from what it was when I used to try to convince people to use it. I disagree that it's not a plug'n'play OS these days, because that's precisely how I deploy it. I install Pop_OS on everything I use, and any needed post-configurations are typically very minimal. Drivers are prepackaged, and I've yet to throw it on anything that doesn't just work upon first login. With the Pop Shop, too, those who aren't technically inclined never have to worry about using the terminal to get software.

Only reason why I recommended LMDE is because Cinnamon is very reminiscent of the Windows desktop, and Mint also has its own graphical software manager. You just have to show people that that's how they now install stuff, rather than downloading something through a web browser. I'd say Pop is a better experience, but I don't expect new people to grasp GNOME without either some kind of hand holding, or a legitimate intrigue in the environment. The DE is usually what scares them away, so that's why you recommend one that feels familiar. In this case, too, OP's PC is over a decade old. Running modern Windows on it is going to be a pain. I imagine they wouldn't be playing many games, and if they primarily use it for web browsing and whatnot, that's ready to go upon installation.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BS. Agaiin, I've been using Win11 since launch and have never once had an ad in explorer, never once forced to use Edge, and never once has Edge/Windows ever shown me a popup suggesting me to use Edge when trying to download any other browser from within Edge.

It doesn't make me wonder whatsoever because it's for the most part complete nonsense. Using since Oct 2021 and I have never experienced the things Plazorn has spoken about and I have never had anything break or had any sort of productivity hindered.

I see the articles too, about this and that broke from a Windows update. None of them have ever happened to me and the majority of others. Tthe people effected are an INCREDIBLY small number. It's always "OMGZ!!! USERS REPORTING BLAH BLAH BLAH WINDOWS BROKEN AFTER UDATE!!!!" then you check the source and it's like 10 people in the entire world that have reported the issue. LOL!

If Linux is your guys thing, great. Use what you like to use. But stop believing everything you read about Windows because most of the negativity is either flat out not true, very over-exaggerated, or only effecting a VERY small number of people running Windows 11.
Please don’t take my opinions personally, you can be a windows stan, and I can be a linux stan. This is a thread about troubleshooting a windows 11 install, not a debate over operating systems’ philosophies. Our opinions can coexist

darrin41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me, windows 11 is not worth it, I myself would stick with 10. 11 removes certain settings and options and uses (in my experience) 500 mb more ram on idle. Why do you even need to update? 10 already has everything you need. Please enlighten me

Since you have legacy bios and it says secure boot state unsupported and no tpm 2.0, you won't be able to install Windows 11 normally , You would need a modified version of windows 11.
I’m gonna give it a go when I get off thanks in advance I’ll let everyone know if it works

Reactions: Plazorn

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me, windows 11 is not worth it, I myself would stick with 10. 11 removes certain settings and options and uses (in my experience) 500 mb more ram on idle. Why do you even need to update? 10 already has everything you need. Please enlighten me

I do agree with with @Plazorn on this, windows 11 is not worth it, it feel sluggish with a 6 cores 32gb ram laptop, that it take a 10 cores 64 gb desktop to not feel sluggish. With your specs may as well stay on windows 10.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please don’t take my opinions personally, you can be a windows stan, and I can be a linux stan. This is a thread about troubleshooting a windows 11 install, not a debate over operating systems’ philosophies. Our opinions can coexist

What an odd comment. I didn't take anything personally. I was simply giving a rebuttal to YOUR comments. You're also acting like it was me that went off on some off topic conversation about Linux vs Windows when it was yourself that started that entire thing. I was merely responding to your and othther peoples comments on a subject that YOU brought up. You're pointging your finger at the wrong person here, buddy. And "Our opinions can coexist"? Really? I mean, did I not literally say "If Linux is your guys thing, great. Use what you like to use."? Smh.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What an odd comment. I didn't take anything personally. I was simply giving a rebuttal to YOUR comments. You're also acting like it was me that went off on some off topic conversation about Linux vs Windows when it was yourself that started that entire thing. I was merely responding to your and othther peoples comments on a subject that YOU brought up. You're pointging your finger at the wrong person here, buddy. And "Our opinions can coexist"? Really? I mean, did I not literally say "If Linux is your guys thing, great. Use what you like to use."? Smh.
correct me if I am wrong, however I do not remember starting the Linux vs. Windows debate, or claiming that Linux was better. I was merely agreeing with @Joom's comment. It appears like you may be pointing the wrong finger. Now like I said earlier, this thread is about installing Windows 11, not pointing fingers, and arguing. I am sorry for whatever I did that made you feel this way, if you have evidence for me starting the Windows vs. Linux debate, please share it.

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
correct me if I am wrong, however I do not remember starting the Linux vs. Windows debate, or claiming that Linux was better. I was merely agreeing with @Joom's comment. It appears like you may be pointing the wrong finger. Now like I said earlier, this thread is about installing Windows 11, not pointing fingers, and arguing. I am sorry for whatever I did that made you feel this way, if you have evidence for me starting the Windows vs. Linux debate, please share it.

Just ignore him, he bicker with people over stupid stuffs, you ain't the only one he bicker with.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow what @Hayato213 says, but if you reboot and it boots right back to windows, you may need to change your BIOS settings to boot from the drive. If you encounter this, Just Google “bios menu <pc name/manufacter>.”

darrin41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I’m getting won’t let me upgrade or install
Post automatically merged:

And this

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y