G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just installed Win XP on my old computer, but it will not install any new drives that I insert in my computer? I had win 7 on here and it install fine without a problem, but now its a big issue when I go back one os. I found something quite odd when I go on compatibility it only goes up to win 2000 and not any further?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
XP is two OS's behind 7, and XP is also relatively old as far as OS's go at this point. It came out in 2001, thus the compatibility only going back the previous Windows 2000. Honestly, I have no idea why you'd go from 7 to XP when you had 7 running perfectly fine.

Reactions: Margen67

Social_Outlaw

OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
XP is two OS's behind 7, and XP is also relatively old as far as OS's go at this point. It came out in 2001, thus the compatibility only going back the previous Windows 2000. And otherwise you're probably trying to install drivers that aren't compatible with XP. Honestly, I have no idea why you'd go from 7 to XP when you had 7 running perfectly fine.
I had a virus on win 7 which is why I had to switch over and I really couldn't do anything

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean it does not see the new drives in the installer? If so that is because the Windows XP installer was made before sata took off and I imagine that is what the new drives are using.
You can burn in drivers using something like http://www.nliteos.com/ , you can press F6 when it asks you if you want to install RAID drivers early on in the installer (originally it was the main thing people would be troubled by, I also hope you have a floppy disc or something available) or you can try setting the sata settings in your BIOS to emulate the older version (once installed remember to change back). Sometimes this emulation is called IDE mode but it can be various things, the normal mode is called AHCI so whatever the opposite that is not RAID will be what you want.

By the way you can download windows 7 quite legitimately (even if you have no intention of being legit later). http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how...nstallation-media-legally/?PageSpeed=noscript

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
By the way you can download windows 7 quite legitimately (even if you have no intention of being legit later). http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how...nstallation-media-legally/?PageSpeed=noscript
Digital River no longer stores the ISO (rendering their "lifetime" guarantee to me obsolete) and to get it from Microsoft Product Recovery, you have to provide a legit product key (I believe it has to be one that has not been blacklisted by MS too). Whilst this is perfectly fine to people who obtained Windows 7 legitly, if they didn't retain their product key or pirated it in the first place, then they'll have to find some other means to obtain the ISO.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. Probably should back up/recopy my windows 7 install media then.

Now to see if I will have to pull apart my DVD burner drive to dust it.

Social_Outlaw

OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why not MSE or KIS? The Dell tower I use with P4 still works fairly well, minus when KIS updates or trying to watch a YouTube video. :-P

Do you mean it does not see the new drives in the installer? If so that is because the Windows XP installer was made before sata took off and I imagine that is what the new drives are using.
You can burn in drivers using something like http://www.nliteos.com/ , you can press F6 when it asks you if you want to install RAID drivers early on in the installer (originally it was the main thing people would be troubled by, I also hope you have a floppy disc or something available) or you can try setting the sata settings in your BIOS to emulate the older version (once installed remember to change back). Sometimes this emulation is called IDE mode but it can be various things, the normal mode is called AHCI so whatever the opposite that is not RAID will be what you want.

Yeah eventually some virus sites break through and Yup it time to get me a new desktop my VGA board on the inside just broke on me :sad:, it's time for me to get a new desktop... Anyone know any good gaming desktops?

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

Social_Outlaw

OP
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Build your own. Buying a pre-built gaming system is a waste of $$$.

I wouldn't even know where to start and even if I did know I would probably bottleneck it the first time I set up a PC. Alot of people say get an Intel over amd processor and also get Amd over Nvidia... Honestly I don't know

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah eventually some virus sites break through and Yup it time to get me a new desktop my VGA board on the inside just broke on me :sad:, it's time for me to get a new desktop... Anyone know any good gaming desktops?

Not Alienware, they are overpriced and you're far better off doing a custom-built machine.

I wouldn't even know where to start and even if I did know I would probably bottleneck it the first time I set up a PC. Alot of people say get an Intel over amd processor and also get Amd over Nvidia... Honestly I don't know

We can help you pick out the right parts, it's okay. Intel is superior for gaming.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if your mother board use RAID controller, you might need to install the raid driver first in the WinXP installer (from a floppy drive like Fast said).

If your drives are Advanced mode (4096 bytes per sector) you could have issues too, as WinXP is not compatible.
most drives should emulate a 512bytes/sector even if the hardware is 4k, but maybe it's not correctly detected by WinXP.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's really not as difficult as you might think. You just basically plug things in and everything comes with very easy to follow diagrams. :) Intel for the CPU without a doubt, and I would go with Nvidia for the GPU. AMD's drivers have been lacking for quite a long time, with their lack of new drivers being ready for the launch of new games. On average AMD releases a new driver once every 3 to 6 months. With Nvidia you're going to get at LEAST one a month. I have an AMD card currently and will never get another one. As was mentioned, give us your max price limit and we can give you some recommendations.

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Unless he's using the very first release of XP without service packs, I don't think that would be an issue.
Even my striped mini-xp has always been able to read sata drives
I had a virus on win 7 which is why I had to switch over and I really couldn't do anything
You could repair your Windows 7 instead of using XP, unless you're making an oldschool gaming pc I don't think you should use XP today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol