猫。子猫です!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Steam Deck is being touted as a true portable gaming PC experience. It'll be fun to take an ever expanding library of games with you on the go, not even just within the Steam ecosystem, but also through third party apps and emulation. After all, this is looking to run a full fledged Linux desktop using KDE and Arch Linux.

So, my question to you is this: Will you use it for everyday computer tasks as well?

I'm looking to get the dock for it, and maybe even a portable monitor so that I can use it at work. Or even set it up at home for the kids to use for their games and homework should the need arise. What about you?

Reactions: Chary and Xzi

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I love my desktop setup and when I can use a desktop I will. My Steam Deck is going to be reserved for gaming on the couch/bed and when I'm traveling.

I can see why some people would want to install Windows or a different Linux distro to "unlock it" from the confines of Steam OS (or whatever they decide to brand it as.) For me, I don't think it would be worth the time. I have a massive backlog of Steam games that I will realistically never get through all of them, so frankly limiting other options when I am on the go sounds like it will at least help analysis paralysis.

Plus, with Retroarch on Steam now, the vast majority of emulators I would want to use should be available without any need to install another OS.

Reactions: Kioku

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Kind of, it will mainly be when travelling to save me bringing my laptop.

For example, if I need a full desktop browser for something my phone/tablet can’t handle.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yep. I'll be using it to adjust to the ins and outs of Linux, so that includes productivity apps, customization, command line stuff, etc. If/when I transition my desktop to Linux, Steam Deck will likely become more of a dedicated gaming/media device for me.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep. I'll be using it to adjust to the ins and outs of Linux, so that includes productivity apps, customization, command line stuff, etc. If/when I transition my desktop to Linux, Steam Deck will likely become more of a dedicated gaming/media device for me.

I would advise using a VM if you plan on messing around with Linux, particularly the terminal, it can be easy to mess up.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no... don't plan to .... the only reason is if I need to do something specifically in linux.. but I use a Mac and Window machine for most of everything

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Unsure. My current desktop is getting kind of öld, but obviously still works fine for browsing and using Libre office. It depends on how well steamos handles, I guess. And the price and ease of the dock

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I had need for a laptop I'd probably use it (and my phone with hdmi output) as a laptop substitute because it'd be easier to carry the deck plus small bluetooth keyboard and mouse around instead of an entire laptop and the deck at the same time. But as it stands it's going to be 99% games only with maybe sometimes getting to chip in as secondary device to do something non-gaming related while my big machine is busy working on something else.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not, I haven't used desktop computers at home in a long time, I much prefer laptop (just like I much prefer handheld machines for gaming). I have one of the later Intel MacBook Pros to run both MacOS and Windows, so got most bases covered.

Reactions: MORSHU8KRTXON

TidusTran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
It's can't replace PC but i think it's good to combine both of them like streaming from PC to help Steamdesk overclock by using PC GPU,etc...

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope! My Deck will be purely for entertainment. Games, video streaming, OTA TV channels and that's it. If and I mean a major if I decide to use it for reading comics and drawing I will be thinking long and hard before getting to that decision. When it comes to "work" I have a Chromebook with Linux apps and access to a Windows VM that handles all my needs.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, I don't think so.
I plan to customize it a lot, install different programs, mod here and there, perhaps compile/build some custom stuff and projects to run on it; but most probably only gaming related, or in some cases for hobby projects... but not for general purpose everyday computer tasks; I think for that either my desktop PC, smartphone, iPad or MacBook would be more comfortable, two of them have already a big display and a keyboard attached at all times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: