Will you buy the Switch's successor?

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah but this time I will keep the old Switch because i'm not really optimistic about homebrew on the new console.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'll probably buy one at launch but keep it locked away until it's hackable. I've already got a decade long gaming backlog and only a new Zelda game could tempt me to open it.
Only a new, traditional Zelda game would tempt me - I can't stand the open-world style; it's just so aggravating with none of the franchise's former charm.
Everyone hates Ocarina of Time's Water Temple because it's so confusing; at least that place is complex and not brain-dead, monotonously easy like TotK's "Water Temple" (or most of its other "Temples", really). For the most part, the very first 3D Zelda is leagues better than the newest 3D Zelda that had 25 years to learn from it (and whose older predecessors had also learned from it).

As for the actual question asked...maybe not immediately, but eventually I most likely will, as I generally find Nintendo games quite enjoyable. I did wait a year to get a launch-model Switch, as I wasn't exactly keen on the controllers (JoyCons) or the launch library; it was only after more games had been released, and the homebrew scene had developed, that I decided to spend a couple-hundred bucks.
So yeah, a new traditional Zelda game, or a new Xenoblade Chronicles game, or a new 3D Kirby or something. Maybe a new Prof Layton or Ace Attorney game? Luigi's Mansion 4?

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ll wait, many times when a system is first released I believe sometimes there’s hardware problems. I didn’t even get the switch day one. The month I got it was the same month patched consoles started to be known about. I would have returned it if it was patched. I got lucky it wasn’t.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do you hate Nintendo so much and why are you so vocal about it?
What happened? Why are you so angry at them? Just curiosity on my part. :shy:
It’s not that I hate them or that I am angry with them, it’s that I disagree with the direction that Nintendo has been going in and no longer want to support them. There’s a lot of things Nintendo has done but these are the ones that bother me on a personal level.
Stopped VC for a subscription-based service
The emulators for that service are extremely awful to mid.
Adding paid DLC to first party games
Paid online that is mid
The switch’s awful 32GB/64GB internal storage. That was shit in 2017 and more shit now.
Countless empty promises
Completely ditching Animal Cross NH
All of the empty promises to fix Pokemon SV
Their anti-customer practices
Abusing the DMCA
Their over-controlling nature
Joycon drift, the entire everything around that
The fact that Nintendo shuts down legal means to getting their games, then bitch about piracy
Nintendo’s pisspoor support for their games
Xenoblade Chronicles X is stuck on the Wii U
Stupid as fuck toy marketing tactics of their products, like the Mario Anniversary bullshit, NES/SNES classic bullshit, etc.
Their online drip feeding old games
Absolute shit sales on eShop
Constantly increasing the cost of their games and services, while never increasing the quality
Tears of the Kingdom wasn’t worth wait
Twilight Princess wasn’t ported the Switch
Skyward Sword locking a basic function behind a figure and having the balls to charge 10$ for the game
Still no Switch themes or customizations
Splatoon 3 being on the Switch
Nintendo ignoring both Splatoon 2 and 3
Yoshi’s New Island, why? Why Did this have to suck so badly

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Dust2dust

nintendo_leaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Yeah unless there's a nvidia level mistake again it's not gonna happen
If I remember correctly, there were software glitches in the Switch's 1.0 firmware which allowed for a coldboot exploit and you can now load games on hacked PS5s. If the Switch 2 runs a new OS then it probably will be hackable eventually. If the Switch 2 runs an updated version of the Switch's OS then it will probably never get hacked.

Last edited by nintendo_leaker,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember correctly, there were software glitches in the Switch's 1.0 firmware which allowed for a coldboot exploit and you can now load games on hacked PS5s. If the Switch 2 runs a new OS then it probably will be hackable eventually. If the Switch 2 runs an updated version of the Switch's OS then it will probably never get hacked.
Well, I don't know if probably is the right word. Nobody knows what will happen, really. We all have to wait and see. One thing is for sure, Nintendo's consoles are traditionally hacked at some point, so it would be a first if the Switch 2 turned out to be unhackable. I would expect the development of, at the very least, a modchip. But even that is unsure, with the demise of Team Xecuter. I know they were highly despised in this community, but they originally developed the modchip that is used by so many here on their Switch console. If there is no one to invest in R&D, even though for profits, then a "solution" for piracy is out of reach.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah unless there's a nvidia level mistake again it's not gonna happen
i guess there is a low chance for a mistake
but it's more likely that they have learned their lesson
as microsoft has learned theirs with the xbox360 - they haven't been hackable since then iirc

Last edited by mrgone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning