OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey everyone,
I wanted to buy a desktop for over a year, and I almost have enough money
biggrin.gif

Now I have selected some components, but I don't know if it will be stable all together.
Also, do you think I could get something better than this? I am not sure about the ram and the HDD... someone told me that 1tb in raid 0 is not very good.
These are the parts (ofc i there are some extra's like keyboard:

I am mainly going to use this for alot of adobe apps (dreamweaver, flash, photoshop, premiere pro...) and maybe 1-3 games...
I first had 2x 500GB hdd's, but I decided I just wanted to be sure that I have enough for all the movies and stuff.

So: will it be stable?
unsure.gif

Jasper.

edit: I forgot to mention that I want to overclock it... And that my budget is around 1000-1100 euro's, that's about 1400-1500 dollars without monitor and speakers.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Everything looks fine and will work perfectly, but I feel that you really skimped on the graphics card compared to the rest. If you're not gaming, then it won't make a difference, however you're going to struggle running any game released in the pas 2-3 years on anything above minimum. I suggest getting at least a ATI 5770, which is not that much more. You could also get a slightly weaker power supply as 750 is overkill, 600 watts will be fine.

As for the harddrive, raid 0 does provide a decent boost in speed, however I'd personally just get one of them and couple it with a ssd for programs you launch regularly and the OS. Thats just my personal opinion though, and raid 0 is also fine. Your ram is completely average, nothing spectacular but it will get the job done. IF you tell me you budget, I could check if i can find a better build.

Jasper07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
HaniKazmi said:
Everything looks fine and will work perfectly, but I feel that you really skimped on the graphics card compared to the rest. If you're not gaming, then it won't make a difference, however you're going to struggle running any game released in the pas 2-3 years on anything above minimum. I suggest getting at least a ATI 5770, which is not that much more. You could also get a slightly weaker power supply as 750 is overkill, 600 watts will be fine.
hmm ok
is this good enough?: ASUS EAH5770 CUcore/G/2DI/1GD5

QUOTE(HaniKazmi @ Oct 23 2010, 06:24 PM) As for the harddrive, raid 0 does provide a decent boost in speed, however I'd personally just get one of them and couple it with a ssd for programs you launch regularly and the OS. Thats just my personal opinion though, and raid 0 is also fine. Your ram is completely average, nothing spectacular but it will get the job done. IF you tell me you budget, I could check if i can find a better build.

My budget is around 1000-1100 euro's, that's about 1400-1500 dollars without monitor and speakers.
And SSD's are fast, but expensiiiive, and I'm not sure if I will really need one... mabye later.
Oh yea and I forgot to mention that I want to overclock my cpu, but is it recommended to overclock my ram and gfx card with it?

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That card will be fine, although http://azerty.nl/8-970-251409/sapphire-rad...-5770-graf.html us cheaper but slightly better. Alternately, http://azerty.nl/8-970-261289/sapphire-vap...d-5770-gra.html blows both the previous ones out of the water and a great overclocker, although it is a bit more expensive.

As for overclocking, I'd suggest that you overclock the processor and graphics card, but leave the ram as the performance difference is miniscule.

What drive you get is your own choice, you're right that ssds are very expensive.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
If you're not gaming, then it won't make a difference, however you're going to struggle running any game released in the pas 2-3 years on anything above minimum.

That's not really true at all, I have a 3650 and I can run some newer games on medium to high, the difference between what he had and what you suggested might be 60 vs 90 fps on high settings, not anything noticeable.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I say go with http://azerty.nl/8-1073-302411/ocz-stealth...-2-voeding.html
or http://azerty.nl/8-1073-227039/ocz-stealth...m-voeding-.html.

The quality of the power supply is usually more important than the number of watts, and ocz always makes good units. 600 watts is enough for your current system, even with a overclock, however getting the 700 will future proof it incase you ever want to upgrade anything. Just a warning though that there supplies only have 3 sata power cables, so if you want to add another two hardrives, or more than one dvd drive you're going to need adapters.

0ddity said:
QUOTE said:
If you're not gaming, then it won't make a difference, however you're going to struggle running any game released in the pas 2-3 years on anything above minimum.

That's not really true at all, I have a 3650 and I can run some newer games on medium to high, the difference between what he had and what you suggested might be 60 vs 90 fps on high settings, not anything noticeable.

You're right that he could run some, but the vast majority will only work on minimum. Besides, 5770 is only 10-20$ more expensive, and it can max everything bar crysis level games.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you in desperate need of it, or can you wait a coupla weeks.
ATI should be releasing more of their 6000 card series so would be worth the wait.

Any particular reason you want to Overclock ? I mean 6 Cores is a lot of power, be sure to grab the Black Edition though as they overclock easier.
The 1600 Ram is a good choice if your overclocking, if you don't then some 1333 is more than fine.

Try getting a 64MB Cache Hard Drive, much more responsive than the others.
I wouldn't recommend Raid 0 however, the speed increase is minimal and not worth losing your data over.

Overall, very nice spec
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
6 cores does not mean "a lot of power". It just means it can run 6 threads. Also AMD CPUs aren't that strong (compared to Intel Core i CPUs), but for the listed purposes of the computer (Adobe suites + light gaming) it'll be perfect for giving fair performance and keeping costs down.

For the HDDs, it's not worth paying the premium for a 64MB cache drive when it doesn't actually make the system any more "responsive". Samsung SpinPoint F3s are rated the best HDDs in terms of performance/capacity/cost value (so too was the F1 beforehand). A SSD would make a huge difference in "responsiveness", although they're still somewhat expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it when you're working towards a budget, even if it would help the Adobe loading times.

For the power supply, 600W is more than enough for the system, but if you're overclocking you need to make sure your power supply provides a steady current over its rails (check reviews for this). I've never heard of Chieftec before so I can't comment on them, but CoolerMaster and OCZ are two of the more famous PSU manufacturers so they're highly recommended. The worst thing you can do for your system is to get a PSU with a weak 12V rail, making the system liable to instabilities and crashes (and, in the cases of unbranded PSUs, puffs of black smoke).

For the graphics, Adobe will appreciate having more VRAM (and normal RAM for that matter) when working with larger projects (e.g. A3 or larger pictures in photoshop), so that will make more of a difference than the actual speed/strength of the graphics card. On the other hand, a stronger GPU will complete any fancy tricks (filters, rendering, morphing, etc) faster, so it's a tradeoff.

For the case, consider the Antec 902 or 1200 (the difference is the size). I'm not sure of the price in Euros, but it may come out cheaper. They look more or less the same as the Lian Li case you picked, strangely enough.

For the RAM... I have that same RAM, as do several of my friends. They're just good, with nothing to dislike.

And to answer the original question: yes, it should be stable (providing that there's nothing wrong with one or more of the parts on arrival and that it's put together properly). Enjoy putting it together
smile.gif

Jasper07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
6 cores does not mean "a lot of power". It just means it can run 6 threads. Also AMD CPUs aren't that strong (compared to Intel Core i CPUs), but for the listed purposes of the computer (Adobe suites + light gaming) it'll be perfect for giving fair performance and keeping costs down.

For the HDDs, it's not worth paying the premium for a 64MB cache drive when it doesn't actually make the system any more "responsive". Samsung SpinPoint F3s are rated the best HDDs in terms of performance/capacity/cost value (so too was the F1 beforehand). A SSD would make a huge difference in "responsiveness", although they're still somewhat expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it when you're working towards a budget, even if it would help the Adobe loading times.
I might buy an SSD later on...

Originality said:
For the power supply, 600W is more than enough for the system, but if you're overclocking you need to make sure your power supply provides a steady current over its rails (check reviews for this). I've never heard of Chieftec before so I can't comment on them, but CoolerMaster and OCZ are two of the more famous PSU manufacturers so they're highly recommended. The worst thing you can do for your system is to get a PSU with a weak 12V rail, making the system liable to instabilities and crashes (and, in the cases of unbranded PSUs, puffs of black smoke).
Ok, so just like HaniKazmi said, the Ocz StealthXstream 2 will do fine ...

Originality said:
For the graphics, Adobe will appreciate having more VRAM (and normal RAM for that matter) when working with larger projects (e.g. A3 or larger pictures in photoshop), so that will make more of a difference than the actual speed/strength of the graphics card. On the other hand, a stronger GPU will complete any fancy tricks (filters, rendering, morphing, etc) faster, so it's a tradeoff.
More VRAM than 1GB?
ohmy.gif
how much do you have in mind?

QUOTE(Originality @ Oct 24 2010, 01:18 AM) For the case, consider the Antec 902 or 1200 (the difference is the size). I'm not sure of the price in Euros, but it may come out cheaper. They look more or less the same as the Lian Li case you picked, strangely enough.

But the Lian-Li just has all the cool features and it look way more stylish than the antec 900, 902 and 1200. And I dislike the looks of the antec cases...

QUOTE(Originality @ Oct 24 2010, 01:18 AM)
For the RAM... I have that same RAM, as do several of my friends. They're just good, with nothing to dislike.

And to answer the original question: yes, it should be stable (providing that there's nothing wrong with one or more of the parts on arrival and that it's put together properly). Enjoy putting it together
smile.gif

I will thanks
biggrin.gif

Jasper07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
EJames2100 said:
ATI should be releasing more of their 6000 card series so would be worth the wait.

Any particular reason you want to Overclock ? I mean 6 Cores is a lot of power, be sure to grab the Black Edition though as they overclock easier.
The 1600 Ram is a good choice if your overclocking, if you don't then some 1333 is more than fine.

I wouldn't recommend Raid 0 however, the speed increase is minimal and not worth losing your data over.

Overall, very nice spec
smile.gif

I'll at least wait a month, because I only have €880 now, and in 4 weeks I have uhmm... €1050, and in 6 weeks almost €1100...
Right now all of it comes to a total of €1067, excluding the keyboard, mouse and monitor, because I already have those, but they're crap and I'll buy them later on..
I believe the 6850 is €30 more compared to the Sapphire Vapor-X 5770, and I guess it's also way better?

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jasper07 said:
EJames2100 said:

Overall, very nice spec
smile.gif

I'll at least wait a month, because I only have €880 now, and in 4 weeks I have uhmm... €1050, and in 6 weeks almost €1100...
Right now all of it comes to a total of €1067, excluding the keyboard, mouse and monitor, because I already have those, but they're crap and I'll buy them later on..
I believe the 6850 is €30 more compared to the Sapphire Vapor-X 5770, and I guess it's also way better?

You''re right that the 6850 is way better, get that if you can afford it. By power, the ranks of ati cards is 5770< 6850

Jasper07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
More VRAM than 1GB? ohmy.gif how much do you have in mind?

I just meant in general. Some graphics cards do have 2GB of GDDR5 RAM like the HD4870X2, but that's probably more to do with the fact that it has 2 GPUs on the PCB. You probably don't need to go that far.

yea that would be a little expensive...
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Hmm.. might handle Duke Nukem Forever low-med settings.

Would not buy/10
You mean the 6850 would not be good enough for that? that would be strange lol
whatever..
QUOTE(dragon574444 @ Oct 25 2010, 01:58 AM)
For graphics card choices, I found this link very helpful. Give it a read sometime. http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mistake...ing-video-card/
Actually, I haven't thought of number 2, 3, 4 and 6
biggrin.gif
so thanks
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol