Will they still support NDS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by rockstar99, Apr 3, 2010.

Apr 3, 2010
  1. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Even though I'm gonna get the 3DS on launch, mabye even the japenese launch if it has an English option [​IMG] I want your opinions on how long after the release of the 3DS will Ninty still support the NDS/NDSi ?

2. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I think a year or two three since it has a HUGE installment rate

3. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    I agree with the time frame, I mean NDS has a huge fanbase and such, it they will take it out after a few months I guess a lot of fans would be disappointed.

4. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    I think all of their games will also work on a ds but when you play in a 3ds it will have 3d effects kinda like dsi enhanced, but when the sales of the 3ds rise they will kill the ds imo

5. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    Else you would have a great gap in game sales.

6. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i view 3DS as an upgrade of DS... just like DSi
    however, we might see a lot more 3DS title than DSi [​IMG]

imagine 100 million DS users will crush them if they just stop supporting DS for good
    i will give them like 2-3 years?

i am not the tech expert
    maybe a 3DS game can be played on DS but without the 3D effect?
    who knows until they release more info..

7. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I'm so lost, I thought the 3DS was an April Fools joke...

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    3 years, I guess.

They can't just dump support for it, right away. It'll be a gradual process.

9. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    OH DAMN! I just saw that the 3DS being an April Fools was GBAtemps April Fools, sorry for being slow. But you guys got me good. [​IMG] And now I'm excited again.

10. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i don't think it will be that long, i mean it will be a while till 3rd parties stop supporting it, but nintendo usually stops supporting old console within about a year or maybe less (i think thats what it is, not really sure) and i think the 3ds will be a completely new system, sorta like when the ds came after gameboy, and 3ds games wont play on dsi or anything.

At least im hoping they aren't supported because if they are that means no graphical improvements which i think the ds needs

11. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Yes, otherwise it wouldn't print as much money as it use to.
    Or even better they might convert all the games to 3D format and put it up for sale.
    But that would be too expensive.
    And the 3DS is going to take up more of our internet bandwidth.

12. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    GBA lasted a good 3 years longer after the DS was announced, and even then it wasn't selling as strongly as the DS is now. DS has a good few years left in it. I'll bet it'll last till 2012 or so. Just my guess. Why would they retire one of their most successful (or was it THE most successful?) systems ever right next year right after they released the XL?

13. The Darkness Wit

Newcomer The Darkness Wit Member

United States
    I doubt that there will be any Nintendo titles released for it after the 3DS is released due to the fact that Nintendo will be focusing all their resources on developing 3DS titles and the majority of big 3rd party developers will also start to get used to the new technology and begin developing games for it so I would estimate that the DS would survive about a year after the 3DS's release with a somewhat small amount of 3rd party titles.

14. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    they should support it for more than a year because they released the XL...

15. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Theyll support it and release big names for both new and old systems if theyre smart. But GC support was dropped rather quick imo

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It will definitely still be supported for a couple of years. Take a look at these GameFAQs top ten lists about the best GBA games released after the DS launch.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/411.html
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/721.html

Of course, first-party support might be a little less since the focus will be on the newer system. Usually, only games that were already in development will actually be released post-new system. It is very unlikely Nintendo will decide to make a Zelda or Mario game for the DS after the 3DS is released.

17. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    How long will they support it?

They haven't since they launched it. Have you REALLY seriously examined the games made for it. No I mean the 90% of the titles you won't play.

They soooooo willingly prostituted the DS and the name Nintendo to every grossly under motivated software maker, that a flashcart isn't supporting illegal file downloads, it's just fucking economic survival.

I've pretty much made my peace with MY decision to get a flashcart. No regrets at all.

I've bought legit copies of all the games I KNEW I had to have. But Nintendo can just forget it if they expect me to be nice beyond buying the game running device.
    The makers of all the schlockware can just cryyyyyyyyy me a river eh. So sad, maybe you should have made a game worth buying eh.

When the new item is launched, I won't give a hoot, really. My XL will still work just fine playing my games just fine.

If they make the new item well enough, I will consider the same way I consider any new technology. If I want it enough, sure.

18. xamorok

Member xamorok Member

United States
    I dont think the games for the 3DS are going to be playable on the DS, simply because I think (and hope) that the 3DS will be getting a bump up to the gamecube graphics. Add that to the interview with Saturo saying that a next-generation handheld would need higher-quality graphics and I'm pretty convinced that that kind of compatibility wont exist (I also dont think Nintendo would be able to justify another release that wouldnt be a new series). Plus, Nintendo's handhelds have never been cross-compatible across series (not counting the GB and the GBC as different series).

19. The Darkness Wit

Newcomer The Darkness Wit Member

United States
    Fail misinterpretation is fail.

20. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yes, that is fail.

I'm assuming that it will have backwards compatibility, because the DS is possibly its biggest moneymaker in the market.