Will there ever be mod for PS3

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
I disagree. For one your prices for the blanks are much too high. You can pick up reliable verbatim bd-r discs for £5-9 (price seems to fluctuate
frown.gif
). Usenet a block account will last about the same as it will 360 games , go look at the scene releases of ps3 games , most are 8-9GB , only a few come in at 20GB+. Even if you did anticipate and say well they might get bigger if you know you're going to pull 25GB a game , why would you buy a 100GB block for £7 , when you can get unlimited accounts for around the same price.

So your looking at like £9ish a game. Not including usenet subs as not everyone uses + likely you don't have it soley for ps3 games , so it's unfair to add that to the price , may as well add your isp costs.
who's your supplier? you'll have to recommend me a cheaper DL supplier while you're at it.

i don't think it's unfair to include usenet costs provided your main reason in doing so is downloading huge game files.... the way i see it is anything that's sub 1gb (music/films etc) can easily by downloaded for free via torrents overnight at 40-70kps, it's a different kettle of fish when you're downloading a 8-20gb game at that kind of speed. The reason why i buy block accounts is i'm selective with my downloads, not every game is worth downloading and of those which are, aren't generally released in the same month so it works out more expensive to have a monthly subscription.

the reason why i don't include ISP costs is because it's a fixed cost which i would incur irrespective of whether i downloaded games or not.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.svp.co.uk have verbatim blu-rays for £8.93 and digitipromo.co.uk do them for about the same. Newshosting.com will give you unlimited usenet for around £7 per month , but you gotta download enough to make it worth while.

As for the usenet costs , point I was attempting to make is , I don't think it's right to include them in argument for it not be economically viable to pirate ps3 and you may as well buy them , because that cost isn't going to be there for everyone , it's a individual basis. Just didn't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that sony are pretty safe , then include a cost that not everyone has , rather than just the costs that everyone will need (burner + discs).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
linux vs the PS3: while it is not locked completely down there is still a hypervisor blocking some of the more interesting stuff (similar to the GC mode on the wii). You know some of the more militant linux advocates (hell trying to port linux to everything imaginable usually places you in that club and we know are more than enough of those) will go for full access:
http://www.cellperformance.com/public/linu...elOverview.html
You can see it is far from mediocre stuff there too "no direct access by guest OSes to the GPU is allowed currently".

usenet costs: I usually pay for unlimited and that seems to work for me. A giganews unlimited account with no SSL is around £13 with the US dollar being so fun right now (which by my calculations places it up there with xbox live and DVD rental accounts in terms of easy payments) and for the record BT use giganews (with 3 connections and a top speed of around 60 kbytes/sec from each connection).

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to add to the debate...

Of course there will be some form of a mod for the PS3. Couldn't say when but when you get enough people going at something, they figure a way out eventually.

It took what? 3 years before Gamecube got it's first actual mod chip? Of course there was sdload stuff and PSO Streaming (I used it like a cheap ass!) but the actual chips came around quite a while after these I think.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
thebobevil said:
Renegade_R said:
It will most likely be an ISO loader from a hard drive...but MOST likely the mod will be a long way off because Sony was smart to put Linux on the PS3 (most hacks are derived solely for the purpose of Linux installation).

Nope, not any time soon, anyway.

It can't be done with ISOs, as the PS3 can't read files larger than 4gb ... so, it'll either from a disc or something where the files can be 'loose'.

That's wrong. The PS3 can read files larger than 4 Gigs. The PS3 doesn't use FAT 32.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
I posted this a while back in the PS3 section. A Hello World was done on the PS3 via firmware 2.20 (the latest)

But as many people said its probably fake as the video is dodgy. I apologise if this information has already been posted here i am very tired and cant be assed looking through the thread.

Anyways heres the link

clicks here

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
Many cracking/hacking groups have reported the limitation ... most notably parad0x.

Well paradox are full of shit then, as I've got a 6gb avi containing loads of south park episodes and the PS3 has no trouble reading it and even seeks to bookmarks in seconds.

What it can't do (and where you've probably picked this up) is play >4gb files on an EXTERNAL USB DRIVE (which will be FAT32).

But then you'll probably spit your dummy at that and say I'm being nasty to you - but I really don't give a shit about some middle aged manc twat with a superiority complex.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :hrth::toot::grog::toot::hrth: +1