You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I read this article where they stated that the PS3 is selling better and better in Japan.
In June the Wii sold 6 times as much as the PS3 over there. Now it seems that ratio is 1:2 in favor of the Wii.
No doubt the PS3's price cut has had its influence on the sales.

What will it be like in the next months? Is it true? Was the Wii only a short hype and will Sony again rule the world?

Discuss...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres just so much out on the Wii in the next few months and I don't see the PS3 taking over for a while. The Wii has basically sold on hype alone for most of the year, now its games are gonna sell it.

Also if this does actually happen, all Nintendo need to do is a price cut (which it can easily do seeing as its the only console making money) or some new packages/colours and it'll be back on top.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Retailers/Nintendo could be hoarding units for xmas, since Nintendo themselves have said they won't be able to meet demand again this xmas. Thus lowering the Wii units sold.

In the long run its possible, but not for a long time, don't forget there is a gap of around 2.5m consoles in Japan and over 8m worldwide.
At this rate the PS3 would outsell the Wii in two years, if Wii sales stopped.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
eventually, yes. the ps3 will see 10 years of console life the wii wont see more then 4. so overall it will sell. Also i dunno bout you guys, but the wii is boring. I have so many games for my wii, yet constantly play my xbox 360. the quality of the games out on wii just isn't that good, thanks to poor 3rd party support. maybe 1/10 games are actually worth a proper play (i.e. 10+ hours)

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes eventually ps3 sells alot more than wii. Wii just sold so much because it was new and innovating. now it's getting boring and ps3 price is not so high anymore.
People are saying that ps3 doesn't have games, but what i've seen it has more good games than wii. And way more good titles coming sooner or later.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Theres just so much out on the Wii in the next few months and I don't see the PS3 taking over for a while. The Wii has basically sold on hype alone for most of the year, now its games are gonna sell it.

Also if this does actually happen, all Nintendo need to do is a price cut (which it can easily do seeing as its the only console making money) or some new packages/colours and it'll be back on top.

I'd say that's fairly accurate. First it sold on hype, but in the coming weeks and months the truly good games are coming: Super Mario Galaxy, NiGHTS: Journey Into Dreams, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and so forth. Whereas the PS3 has one good game coming down the pipeline in the near future, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. And to be fair, that could be a flop, hopefully it won't be because it looks like a darn fine game. Yet it could be. The PS3 may take some sort of lead eventually, it's very possible, but that won't be until at least mid-late 2008, as that's when MGS4 and FFXIII are being released (presumably).

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I'd say that's fairly accurate. First it sold on hype, but in the coming weeks and months the truly good games are coming: Super Mario Galaxy, NiGHTS: Journey Into Dreams, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and so forth. Whereas the PS3 has one good game coming down the pipeline in the near future, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. And to be fair, that could be a flop, hopefully it won't be because it looks like a darn fine game. Yet it could be. The PS3 may take some sort of lead eventually, it's very possible, but that won't be until at least mid-late 2008, as that's when MGS4 and FFXIII are being released (presumably).
almost offtopic but i played uncharted yesterday on some expo, it was pretty damn good, even if it looked like "normal" average game with some nice graphics. but anyway there's many good multiplatform games coming this year like cod4, assasin's creed and devil may cry 4 next year. Also ratchet & clanc is soon available if it isn't yet
tongue.gif

but yes wii is getting few good games. For me there's SMG, mario kart and brawl. That's about it.
Both consoles has some good sides, but i personally like ps3 more, because it's just more capable.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read this article where they stated that the PS3 is selling better and better in Japan.
In June the Wii sold 6 times as much as the PS3 over there. Now it seems that ratio is 1:2 in favor of the Wii.

The key word in there being Japan. Yes the PS3 does great in Japan compared to the Xbox360, but elsewhere in the world Xbox360 is the alternative to the Wii not PS3.

Xbox360 has the great game titles out now and will continue to do very well this Christmas. Which is pretty good considering the system has been out for ages.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
almost offtopic but i played uncharted yesterday on some expo, it was pretty damn good, even if it looked like "normal" average game with some nice graphics. but anyway there's many good multiplatform games coming this year like cod4, assasin's creed and devil may cry 4 next year. Also ratchet & clanc is soon available if it isn't yet
tongue.gif

but yes wii is getting few good games. For me there's SMG, mario kart and brawl. That's about it.
Both consoles has some good sides, but i personally like ps3 more, because it's just more capable.

Ah, so Uncharted is fun? Good to hear. The screens, trailers, and gameplay videos I've seen have made it look like a game with a lot of production value.

Back on topic now, I didn't mention the multiplatform games because for the time being I consider those to be Xbox 360 sellers. Due to the 360's lower price point, history of higher production quality for next-gen games compared to the PS3 (developers have had a lot of trouble porting to the PS3), and the fact that it has a higher attach rate; it's pretty much a given (at least until the PS3 sells more consoles) that multiplatform game sales are more likely to be stolen away by the 360. Again, I can't stress enough that for all I/we know that could easily change within a year. So I'm not by any means suggesting that's how it will always be, merely that that's the way it is at the moment.
happy.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 really isn't doing all that great. Sony has been begging developers not to dump off projects for it. That is not good.

PS3 is the oddball this round. It's hard to program for, it's overpriced and many people are going anti-Sony. The lead that the other systems have over it is making the PS3 a hard-sell....to consumers and developers.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The PS3 really isn't doing all that great. Sony has been begging developers not to dump off projects for it. That is not good.

PS3 is the oddball this round. It's hard to program for, it's overpriced and many people are going anti-Sony. The lead that the other systems have over it is making the PS3 a hard-sell....to consumers and developers.

Without a doubt, but don't put too much stock in that, developers and consumers are a fickle bunch. Popular opinion changes constantly. Unfortunately what you've just mentioned isn't the worst of it. You see, Sony is caught in a horrible horrible cycle:

The PS3 costs a massive sum of money to design and manufacture, yet they've sold the console for half the manufacturing cost. That basically means that they lose a great deal of money on every console they sell. Sadly, that's not the end of it. You see, if they sell consoles, they lose money. If they don't sell consoles, they lose money. And if they lower the price to sell more consoles, they lose even more money because they're selling it for even less, and paying just as much to make the console.

I wish I could stop there, but again, that's not the end. You see developers won't create/publish games for the PlayStation 3 until there are more solid games on the system to move more consoles. But Sony can't get said solid games on the system because developers are waiting for other people to create profitable games first, and then jump on the bandwagon once the console gets rolling. So essentially Sony is caught in two near-endless cycles that both threaten to destroy them. This year alone they lost double what they lost last year financially, and Sony themselves predict that next year they'll lose double this year's loss.

They have however been making production adjustments, finding cheaper parts, switching to different manufacturing processes, cutting features, etc, all in the name of lowering the price. We can only hope that that pays off for them, because I bear no ill will against the PlayStation 3 (outside of its price point, and some of Sony's more obnoxious business tactics lately *cough*Jack Tretton constantly slamming the competition even though the Nintendo guys and Microsoft guys rarely if ever insult them back*cough*); and I'd love to see it succeed down the line as it's a great piece of hardware.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ah, so Uncharted is fun? Good to hear. The screens, trailers, and gameplay videos I've seen have made it look like a game with a lot of production value.

Back on topic now, I didn't mention the multiplatform games because for the time being I consider those to be Xbox 360 sellers. Due to the 360's lower price point, history of higher production quality for next-gen games compared to the PS3 (developers have had a lot of trouble porting to the PS3), and the fact that it has a higher attach rate; it's pretty much a given (at least until the PS3 sells more consoles) that multiplatform game sales are more likely to be stolen away by the 360. Again, I can't stress enough that for all I/we know that could easily change within a year. So I'm not by any means suggesting that's how it will always be, merely that that's the way it is at the moment.
happy.gif
Yea you're right multiplatform games are mostly not so good on ps3 than on xbox360, but there's still people who own only ps3. Most of the games what i'm waiting for are ps3 exclusives anyway. But hopefully multiplatform games will be good too and eventually developers gets used to code and port games for ps3. atleast i hope so
tongue.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yea you're right multiplatform games are mostly not so good on ps3 than on xbox360, but there's still people who own only ps3. Most of the games what i'm waiting for are ps3 exclusives anyway. But hopefully multiplatform games will be good too and eventually developers gets used to code and port games for ps3. atleast i hope so
tongue.gif

Well you'll be happy to hear that at least one publisher claims to have overcome the the development and porting complications caused by the system's unique architecture. So it's a start. And I can only assume there will be more to come.
smile.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hard to say right now.. but I don't believe that will pass the Wii, specially with SSBB and Mario Kart coming early next year.. The PS3 might have some good sales when MGS4 and FFXIII come out.. but that's about it..

The PS3 is going much like the N64 in his days.. it was a good console, had 1 or 2 excellent games.. but it wasn't enough to compete against the Playstation.

As for the Xbox360, it is a good console, but it will never go well in the japanese market.. I might be wrong, but I believe that the main reason for that is just because the japanese market is very protectionist with their own products, occidental games never had success there, I doubt it will start now..

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hard to say right now.. but I don't believe that will pass the Wii, specially with SSBB and Mario Kart coming early next year.. The PS3 might have some good sales when MGS4 and FFXIII come out.. but that's about it..

The PS3 is going much like the N64 in his days.. it was a good console, had 1 or 2 excellent games.. but it wasn't enough to compete against the Playstation.

As for the Xbox360, it is a good console, but it will never go well in the japanese market.. I might be wrong, but I believe that the main reason for that is just because the japanese market is very protectionist with their own products, occidental games never had success there, I doubt it will start now..

Hm, a comparison to the N64, usually people tend to compare it to the Dreamcast. But you know, it actually is a bit like the N64. Back in that era Nintendo got cocky due to being on top in the SNES days, and created a console where the games were more expensive to produce (due to cartridges costing more than discs). That's very similar to the position Sony is in. They became cocky by creating the masterpieces that were the PS1 and PS2, and thought anything they did from that point on would sell. It's actually a crying shame that no one in the game industry seems to learn from the competition's mistakes.

As for the Xbox 360 not selling in Japan, as of yet that's true, and it's likely to be true in the future. But there are games coming, big Japanese hits like Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, etc that should push the console. You see, surveys have been taken, and it seems the Japanese aren't completely culturally biased like we all presumed. They don't all hate the Xbox 360 just because it's foreign.

It turns out that the following reasons are why the Xbox 360 isn't doing well in Japan: The Xbox had a lack of games last generation for that market, so the brand wasn't well-established. Microsoft is apparently terrible at marketing in that region, they don't know how to play to that market. The typical Japanese gamer wants established franchises from Japan on the console (which is being remedied).

And finally, and this one shocked me, most Japanese gamers like linear games. Apparently the reason they don't latch on to games from other regions is because they don't like free-roaming worlds, customization, etc. When it comes to gaming they'd rather have the game tell them where to go, when to go there, what to do once they get there, and how to get to the next point once they've done that. Basically they want a game that essentially plays itself and tells them everything they should do, all the while forcing them in a set direction.
wtf.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft need to get its Japan strategy sorted out, it has some amazing games and developers like Capcom seem to love making stuff for it, but the PS3 is gaining some ground there so these devs will cross over.

It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo themselves have for the Wii in 2008, we know of Wii Fit, Wii Music, Day of Crisis, Smash Bros & Mario Kart are probably covering Jan-April, but after that? We know of Animal Crossing, a untitled n-Space game (Geist 2 anyone?) a Kirby game and Wii Motor Sports Airplane. They need more than those titles and I'm sure theres something bigger coming for the Summer.

Also hoping that there will be some good Wii packages, how about a Wii Fit or Wii Zapper package that'll cost the same as a regular Wii console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.