Gaming Will Nintendo eventually make a 'joint' account for all system

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be interesting if this worked both ways. Buy a SNES title play it on the 3DS, buy a GBC title and play it on the Wii U. They could emulate the Super Game Boy or the Game Boy Player to reduce the amount of work that needs to be done. As crazyj3ss says, this would unify the releases across the network like PSN. This would make the large number of current Wii VC releases available for the 3DS, but would require porting the emulators one by one (although they already have the NES emulator up and running).

I wish they'd realize that, no matter how good a game is, people aren't going to be happy paying for it a million times(even if they seem like it). I mean it's one thing re-releasing a game later down the line as a VC title, etc., but at least let us play it on all current systems.

While I do agree that if I buy the same exact game I shouldn't have to purchase it for multiple consoles, I do think I should remind you that they also put these games for people who don't own both systems.

crazyj3ss

hmm
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be interesting if this worked both ways. Buy a SNES title play it on the 3DS, buy a GBC title and play it on the Wii U. They could emulate the Super Game Boy or the Game Boy Player to reduce the amount of work that needs to be done. As crazyj3ss says, this would unify the releases across the network like PSN. This would make the large number of current Wii VC releases available for the 3DS, but would require porting the emulators one by one (although they already have the NES emulator up and running).

I wish they'd realize that, no matter how good a game is, people aren't going to be happy paying for it a million times(even if they seem like it). I mean it's one thing re-releasing a game later down the line as a VC title, etc., but at least let us play it on all current systems.

While I do agree that if I buy the same exact game I shouldn't have to purchase it for multiple consoles, I do think I should remind you that they also put these games for people who don't own both systems.

Not exactly sure I understand what you mean by that 100%.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What he means is that many people never owned the game on the original system, and there's no practical way to really determine that the customer already owned the game originally on disk/cartridge, so there's still money involved from customers who never paid for the game in the first place.

crazyj3ss

hmm
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly did that come from though? What I meant was that if you buy it on a VC or something, it should be available across all of the current systems(if possible, which is definitely likely for VC titles). How exactly did "people who didn't originally purchase it, there's money there" come into play when it would be available to pretty much everyone? I didn't mean that they should never release them again, if that's what you mean.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I seriously doubt it. I had hoped that the eshop would have been an account like XBLA or SEN, but instead it's the same as it was on the DSi. Maybe it's their way of curbing gamesharing, but I don't know.

I do know I dislike re-paying for games I already own.
Well they did let you transfer your DSi titles. It's possible they might be kind enough to do the same from Wii to Wii U somehow

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt it. I had hoped that the eshop would have been an account like XBLA or SEN, but instead it's the same as it was on the DSi. Maybe it's their way of curbing gamesharing, but I don't know.

Well they did let you transfer your DSi titles. It's possible they might be kind enough to do the same from Wii to Wii U somehow

I'd bet that's something they will do. But I seriously doubt they'd do something along the lines of "buy X title", play on both Wii U and 3DS. Hell, they can't (or more likely, won't) even allow you to buy once and play on multiple 3DS systems. My girlfriend and I both have a 3DS. I should not have to pay for a game twice just to have it on both systems registered to the same account.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where exactly did that come from though? What I meant was that if you buy it on a VC or something, it should be available across all of the current systems(if possible, which is definitely likely for VC titles). How exactly did "people who didn't originally purchase it, there's money there" come into play when it would be available to pretty much everyone? I didn't mean that they should never release them again, if that's what you mean.

OOOOOHHHHH, Well it was that "dont want to buy a million times" statement that I got hooked on,my mistake.

I'd bet that's something they will do. But I seriously doubt they'd do something along the lines of "buy X title", play on both Wii U and 3DS. Hell, they can't (or more likely, won't) even allow you to buy once and play on multiple 3DS systems. My girlfriend and I both have a 3DS. I should not have to pay for a game twice just to have it on both systems registered to the same account.

Well, thats kind of a "you" problem. Its one thing to buy the same exact game twice and want to play it on multiple systems you own but its quite another thing to say you want the same game on two consoles, one of which that you dont own, if it were that case whats keeping me from just giving my out my account for multiple people to use and spread?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
That's not QUITE what I had in mind... I'm specifically referring to the more "dated" virtual console rereleases, like SNES and GBA. That wouldn't really require that much coding at all, right?
umm... if i'd have to hazard a guess, i'd say "not quite". for one, compatibility issues. it's not just a matter of wrapping a game rom with their emulator and putting it out there. some games will have hiccups, because it's not running on the original hardware. until Nintendo perfects their emulator container (or however the hell they do it), making VC titles isn't so easy. but their advantage is that they know their hardware and have access to source code and assets, so they are better equipped than third party that develop emulator software. but then debugging isn't easy, and only proves my point further.

Just because you own multiple platforms does not give you the right to automatically own a copy for EACH of the platforms you own, regardless of whether those platforms are products from the same company. That's like saying buying a Plants VS. Zombies on the Mac entitles you to a copy for your iPhones and iPod Touch. Unless of course, there are promos that do that. But that's all it's gonna be, on promos. Each title for each console is a separate product, despite having the same name and game content. They can only be bundled or done like "buy 1 get 1", but that's it.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Just because you own multiple platforms does not give you the right to automatically own a copy for EACH of the platforms you own, regardless of whether those platforms are products from the same company. That's like saying buying a Plants VS. Zombies on the Mac entitles you to a copy for your iPhones and iPod Touch. Unless of course, there are promos that do that. But that's all it's gonna be, on promos. Each title for each console is a separate product, despite having the same name and game content. They can only be bundled or done like "buy 1 get 1", but that's it.
I don't think anyone is disputing entitlements, people are just saying it should be the other way around. Some of what you said, however, is debatable. If I buy Plants VS. Zombies on my iPhone, my daughter can play it on her iPod Touch or the family can play it on the iPad if they're activated with the same Apple ID. This is true of movies, music, ringtones and games. The company publishing the products to you can do whatever they like. The same goes for PS1 games bought from PSN, they can be re-downloaded and played on the PS3, PSP and the Vita. They're different devices made by the same company, and so the products being licensed are considered the same and not separate for each device.

People here are saying that Nintendo should do the same with Nintendo Network. Whether each title is a separate product or not is entirely up to them. I think that they should allow it, not because we're entitled to it— and let's face it, the only reason we're not is because of stupid clauses in copyright laws —but because it's the right thing to do. It will keep consumers from being disgruntled and brings the company in line with the competition.

kimekaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no wish to play portable titles on my consoles.

This is how the eShop works now (more or less) in that your purchases are tied to your Club Nintendo account rather than your system (per the old DS Shop). This allows you to transfer your purchases to compatible devices (in this case, another 3DS). There isn't really any possibility of a eShop 3DS title going to a console due to the whole two screen, 3D thing.

crazyj3ss

hmm
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the support everyone. I would be much more inclined to make more purchases if i didnt have to worry about something like 'do i want to buy a vc game for 3ds or wiiu or whatever?' Why can't i purchase for 1 of them and play on either if they are both on my nintendo account? @ kimekaro, that is 'your' opinion though. we're getting nes(console) titles for the 3ds, we had the superboy or whatever to play gb games on the snes, and the gb player to play gba games on the big screen through gamecube, so how could this not work? If you don't want to play portable titles on the tv, that's more of a personal thing it seems.

undyingforce

Trophies
Website
club.ign.com
XP
Country
United States
This issue is the reason why I never spent tons of cash on downloads for the Wii and now 3DS. I wish it was all tied to 1 account.

Ok now I'm pretty sure people aren't reading the OP it IS gping to all be tied to one account
Nintendo has broken promises in the past. Word to the wise: Dont believe everything you read/hear.

Time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking