Will DS/DSi flash carts work on the 3DS?

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have my doubts, but I don't really need my Flashcard anymore. If anything, I've been using much more homebrew on the PSP thanks to the recent changes in the scene. All I've used my card for was playing the prematurely translated Pokemon White until the game formally comes out here.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
I don't really care if a current flash cart work on the 3DS
even if one of my current flash cart works on the 3DS, I doubt I'll use it in my 3DS..my dsi xl works just fine
I want a flash cart that can run 3DS games..so the question is, who will be the first to make a 3DS flash cart??
This.

I highly doubt there will ever be a 3DS Mode flashcard, as we still don't have a *great* one for the DSi. 3DS ROMS don't interest me anywhere near as much as legit copies do anyway. The homebrew that would be made would look pretty damn awesome though.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear, Costello's gonna say: "Guess what guys? iEvolution works on 3DS!" And we're all gonna be like "BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!" Then Costello will come back: "Just kidding. /troll"

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Even if the flashcard teams could have the current DSi flashcards fixed to work on the 3DS, why would they?

New bootstrap = free = no profit from being able to sell new flashcards, unless they're feeling really charitable.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Why are these questions being asked at all!?

I can answer them right now!

Q1) Will the 3DS be compatible with DSi-Compatible flashcards?
A1)Most likely no, as we have seen with the DS LITE to DSi transition, Nintendo has changed the hardware security configuration so that it automatically blocks any unauthorized hardware from being used. On top of that, if you walk into an unsecured Wi-Fi zone, the 3DS will automatically connect to the Nintendo update servers and update the 3DS's firmware which would in effect block said flashcards if any of them were to work.

Q2) Will DSi flashcards work with the 3DS
A2)See answer 1.

Q3)Will there ever be a 3DS flash card capable of loading 3DS games and a DS flash card that is compatible with the 3DS?
A3) Absolutely, but it may take some time so be patient. Internet Rule #XX "Any given electronic device will eventually be hacked, regardless of security or hardware."

Overall, I think Custom Firmware should be the best option for hacking the 3DS to pirate games and play homebrew, this way the automatic updates could be disabled thus preventing an auto-update of the DS and 3DS cartridge blacklist.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:

A1)Most likely no, as we have seen with the DS LITE to DSi transition, Nintendo has changed the hardware security configuration so that it automatically blocks any unauthorized hardware from being used. On top of that, if you walk into an unsecured Wi-Fi zone, the 3DS will automatically connect to the Nintendo update servers and update the 3DS's firmware which would in effect block said flashcards if any of them were to work.

A2)See answer 1.

Q3)Will there ever be a 3DS flash card capable of loading 3DS games and a DS flash card that is compatible with the 3DS?
A3) Absolutely, but it may take some time so be patient. Internet Rule #XX "Any given electronic device will eventually be hacked, regardless of security or hardware."

Overall, I think Custom Firmware should be the best option for hacking the 3DS to back-ups of games games and play homebrew, this way the automatic updates could be disabled thus preventing an auto-update of the DS and 3DS cartridge blacklist.
Fixed that for you.

And the reason these questions are being asked is because a factual answer has yet to come. Those answers don't tell us anything we don't already know, they're just a theories.
That said, they aren't baseless theories and have a chance of being true.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:

A2)See answer 1.

Overall, I think Custom Firmware should be the best option for hacking the 3DS to pirate games and play homebrew, this way the automatic updates could be disabled thus preventing an auto-update of the DS and 3DS cartridge blacklist.

Addition to #1: Turning off the WiFi switch blocks updates.

Other then that, I mostly agree with you. While I doubt that current DSi carts will work as is, I think they will be able to work later in DS mode with an update. Even if thats not the case, DS mode compatible carts will be out in months.

As for 3DS carts, I think they'll happen within 1-1 1/ yrs, even though a homebrew channel softmod would be much cooler.

ibds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo probably tested every "famous" flashcard on 3ds... they would be totally idiots if not.

But I don't think DS would sell 150 millions without the flashcards help (They know it too)

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Me thinks:
[*] Will regular Nintendo DS (DSi-compatible) flash carts work on the 3DS?
Nope.
[*] Will the CycloDS iEvolution, only DSi flashcart unlocking DSi mode features, be compatible with the 3DS?
Seeing as it's the only one makes me say, Nope. Methinks they'd go an extra mile to block any and all existing flashcarts.
[*] Will we ever see full fledged 3DS flashcarts?
Who's to say for sure ?At one time the PS3 was deemed 'totally unhackable' and then came some genius minds and did hack it. Eventually every platform will get hacked but will it be in the 3DS' lifetime... or will it be many years after it's out of production is a matter of skills. Both the seurity engineers and the hacker ones.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
BREAKING NEWS: We don't know if DSi flashcarts will work on the 3DS! But we can exclusively reveal that when someone tries one on a 3DS they will find out!

Come on, this has to be the biggest piece of non-news to ever make the front page.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
DJ91990 said:

pretty sure it was confirmed that it only sent a reminder that there was an update, plus things like multitasking don't work in ds games so things like spotpass or whaterver probably won't work in DS/DSi mode. Updates might/probably will come for some cards, most likely the iEvo.

A2)See answer 1.

Flashcarts that can play 3DS ROMS may never be released, so "Absolutely" shouldn't be used.

Maybe not CFW, maybe a softmod like the wii but that remains to be seen.

My thoughts

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
RoMee said:
I don't really care if a current flash cart work on the 3DS
even if one of my current flash cart works on the 3DS, I doubt I'll use it in my 3DS..my dsi xl works just fine
I want a flash cart that can run 3DS games..so the question is, who will be the first to make a 3DS flash cart??
A lot of people will be trading in their DS's to be able to afford the 3DS. I'm sure those folks will be very interested in whether or not their cards will work on the 3DS. I'm not trading in any of my three DS's to get a 3DS, but I'm very lucky to be able to afford to go that route.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
BREAKING NEWS: We don't know if DSi flashcarts will work on the 3DS! But we can exclusively reveal that when someone tries one on a 3DS they will find out!

Come on, this has to be the biggest piece of non-news to ever make the front page.
I think the idea of this thread was to stop people from making 700 threads trying to be helpful.

Also, how will the DS2's processor help?

Also, if someone used the save game exploit, could they create a homebrew that would allow loading of another card like how you can use ARDSi to loadDS flashcarts on the DSi?

Crahlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
QUOTE said:
We have already established that, unsurprisingly, old DS-only flash carts (e.g. Acekard 2.1, CycloDS Evolution, R4 DS...) that were not DSi compatible, aren't 3DS compatible either.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

KamiKazeKenji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course the current flashcards will not work with the 3DS! Nintendo is not stupid enough to let a serious matter like this slip under their nose. I guarantee you 100%, that Nintendo took to liberty to block EACH and EVERY SINGLE flash card currently on the market. And I bet it wasn't so hard for them to do so either.

We have to keep in mind that there is a possibility that the 3DS works nothing like the old DS models. There could be completely different security measures implemented (I'm referring only to 3DS games here).

I'm also 100% sure that someone will hack it sooner or later. Flash cards will most likely work on it sooner or later.

metal079

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt any current flash card will work on 3
excl.gif
ds I bet Nintendo tested every flashcard on it already

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HoTsHoT89 said:
Even if the flashcard teams could have the current DSi flashcards fixed to work on the 3DS, why would they?

New bootstrap = free = no profit from being able to sell new flashcards, unless they're feeling really charitable.
Unless it's a more pricey flashcart (and thus less commonly owned than say AceKards or R4s) like the DSTWO or the iEvo. If either of those cards worked through an update, but the AceKard couldn't, I'd buy either of them right that second. And I'm sure many others would join me in that.

BlueStar said:

Umm no. If you actually read the first post, you'd see that clearly, some kinda way, GBAtemp staff or friends thereof have tried older flashcarts on the 3DS.
We have already established that, unsurprisingly, old DS-only flash carts (e.g. Acekard 2.1, CycloDS Evolution, R4 DS...) that were not DSi compatible, aren't 3DS compatible either.
This means that carts like AK2i, DSTWO, and others aren't far off from being tested.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
HoTsHoT89 said:

Unless it's a more pricey flashcart (and thus less commonly owned than say AceKards or R4s) like the DSTWO or the iEvo. If either of those cards worked through an update, but the AceKard couldn't, I'd buy either of them right that second. And I'm sure many others would join me in that.

+1 to that. I'm sure a lot of people on here that are getting a 3DS would buy an existing cart they didn't already have if it was confirmed working on the 3DS. If nothing else, it's awesome having all the DS emus working. I love emus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...