Will Digital Game Conflict With Cartridge?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Meowxin, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Meowxin
    OP

Meowxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2018
    United States
    It seems like it would be simple to answer, but I can't find any other ask's that answer it. I would like to find out if possible before I buy the digital version and sell my copy. I don't wish to transfer my save, as I want to start over and am just looking to see if I would run into any errors, were I to decide to keep my physical copy to play two of. If anyone wants more clarification, I can try and describe it with less gibberish and more detail, but I'm having trouble putting it to words. Main reason I'm looking to ditch the cartridge is laziness to swap games constantly.

Update September 17, 2018:
    Any and all data stored on the SD for any game that you have two(2) or more copies of in any form (cartridge-digital download-cia backup-injection) will be overwritten every time you swap copies.
    Games I Checked Personally:
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Deletes current ext data and creates new - I do not know what is included in the ext data, assuming it's not important to the game because both seem to run fine.
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Freaks out a lot and tried to overwrite my save data, then told me it was corrupted. Only happened the first time out of 3, so may just be another variable that I do not know of.
    Pokemon Omega Ruby: Recreates data backup

Over-all, unless the save data is stored on the SD card, it seems to be pretty safe to own two(2) copies of the game. Honestly I don't know why I tested this out, but it was fun and I can share details if requested.

Last edited by Meowxin, Sep 18, 2018
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    To my knowledge they don't conflict with each other, but some games do save to SD instead of the cart like Monster Hunter and that might cause some issues. I haven't really done much testing in this area though

Meowxin likes this.
  3. Meowxin
    OP

Meowxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2018
    United States
    That would make sense, I downloaded Animal Crossing: New Leaf and the only difference I can see is that it didn't have to create the extra data on the SD. Thanks for the fast response. I'm gonna dabble a little with a couple other games to see what will happen, help someone in the future.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I know with Pokemon Y my system treated the saves differently, so going off that past experience for me. Of course if you have the means of testing, go for it!

Meowxin likes this.