PS1/2 Will a Hard Drive Enclosure work in a PS2?

elPrro01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Today I saw an Hard Drive Enclosure in a local virtual store and I planned to buy one to use it on my PlayStation 2 with a Toshiba 160gb hard drive but I don't know if it will work.

Before buying it, I need to be told if it will work or not.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Today I saw an Hard Drive Enclosure in a local virtual store and I planned to buy one to use it on my PlayStation 2 with a Toshiba 160gb hard drive but I don't know if it will work.

Hello.:)

Can you tell us please which PlayStation 2 Modell you have ?

16849d1270712102-scph-9xxxx-v18-ps2-fmcb-compatibility-consolidated-information-ps2_date_code_8a.jpg AJ0366787005.jpg

Thank you.:)

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I presume you are looking at a hard drive enclosure that is USB capable. Please note that the PS2 only has USB 1.1 ports, so even if you use a hard drive inside a USB enclosure, it will not run as fast (stuttering FMVs would be a typical issue). It will work, just very poorly for a lot of games. On the other hand, if you were lucky enough to find a good deal on enclosure that also has an ethernet port (also known as a NAS -- network accessible storage), then you should definitely scoop it up since the PS2 can load ISOs via ethernet using OPL.

If you insist on taking this path, do make sure to defragment your drive after you install new games.

If your hard drive is a 2.5 inch drive (i.e. the size used in most laptops), you might be able to find an IDE-to-SATA adapter that is small enough to fit inside the HDD bay of a fat PS2 -- this might be a cheaper alternative (about $7 USD) than an enclosure, and would also give you better performance since you're running through the network adapter. (You would need the network adapter, of course).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: