Hardware Wildly misoperating control stick

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason the control stick on the left joycon that came with my switch is going wild. It randomly thinks I'm pushing it in some direction from time to time and has issues with actually excepting that I'm pushing it in a direction or stoped pushing it. It's really inconsistent on doing this to. I have tried calibrating it and updating it and nothing fixes it. I did include a video of this and it's further and further into the video that it truly showed it's colors of screwing up. Also, it seems it's not just with my switch as I had similar issues when using it to play sonic mania on my laptop.

Edit: This happens even when there connected to the switch itself

Last edited by jt_1258,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason the control stick on the left joycon that came with my switch is going wild. It randomly thinks I'm pushing it in some direction from time to time and has issues with actually excepting that I'm pushing it in a direction or stoped pushing it. It's really inconsistent on doing this to. I have tried calibrating it and updating it and nothing fixes it. I did include a video of this and it's further and further into the video that it truly showed it's colors of screwing up. Also, it seems it's not just with my switch as I had similar issues when using it to play sonic mania on my laptop.

Pic broken link

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The video doesn't work, however it fits the issue that most launch JoyCons had where they were losing connection. Is there anything between the joycon and the switch while this is happening? Even literally your own arm or leg could cause trouble. IF in the video it's actually visible it's not this (again, it doesn't work) disregard this.
Either way, sounds like a good idea to RMA it, Nintendo should accept the joycon only (no need to send the whole console), as was in my case.

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The video doesn't work, however it fits the issue that most launch JoyCons had where they were losing connection. Is there anything between the joycon and the switch while this is happening? Even literally your own arm or leg could cause trouble. IF in the video it's actually visible it's not this (again, it doesn't work) disregard this.
Either way, sounds like a good idea to RMA it, Nintendo should accept the joycon only (no need to send the whole console), as was in my case.
I'll add this to the op but, this happens even when attached to the switch as seen in the video

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

video fixed

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ehh...the only reason I haven't jumped to that yet is cause I'm scare, I've heard the horror stories of people loosing there saves... :shiver:
Contact Nintendo and tell them what is wrong, best to just keep saying it's the JoyCon, then they should tell you to only send the faulty joycon and (copy of) store receipt. I RMA'd my own JoyCon due to the launch issue and that was all that they needed, waited around 2 weeks for it.

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contact Nintendo and tell them what is wrong, best to just keep saying it's the JoyCon, then they should tell you to only send the faulty joycon and (copy of) store receipt. I RMA'd my own JoyCon due to the launch issue and that was all that they needed, waited around 2 weeks for it.
so as long as I have the receipt they won't make me pay for the repair?
side note, I bought it online through gamestop so I have a digital reciept rather than phisical

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
so as long as I have the receipt they won't make me pay for the repair?
side note, I bought it online through gamestop so I have a digital reciept rather than phisical
Yes, Switch has as far as I remember a 2 year warranty so all repairs that were not evidently caused by the user (i.e. spilling a drink over the joycon or console) are free. And that is of course fine, what they need is a "Proof of purchase" with the date, and GameStop's digital receipt will be fine (may have to print it out when sending the joycon in of course). But first of all contact them and say what the issue is, either call or use the online chat thing (if they still have that)

Reactions: jt_1258

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Switch has as far as I remember a 2 year warranty so all repairs that were not evidently caused by the user (i.e. spilling a drink over the joycon or console) are free. And that is of course fine, what they need is a "Proof of purchase" with the date, and GameStop's digital receipt will be fine (may have to print it out when sending the joycon in of course). But first of all contact them and say what the issue is, either call or use the online chat thing (if they still have that)
Not in the USA we only get 1 year from Nintendo

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm sorry for the nearly 1 month bump but this is an update to this issue becoming even worse somehow.
I had bought a second pair of joy cons a month or 2 after I got my switch awhile back, and now this issue I'm having with my original pair of joy cons is happening with my second pair. There has to be some sort of reason for why this is happening cause this is clearly not just a fluke or coincidence

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV