EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When will the chip be available for purchase?, How much will it cost? - Hopefully we can manage a rollout of the chip sometime within the next 3 months, once we have the funds to start mass production, you will know about it. At the moment we are aiming to have the chip reach consumers at a price of around $64.95 USD (includes dongle), though this is subject to change.

LOL

EDIT:Also confirmed fake by xiaNaix,from Wiinewz.

bttfpromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see what's wrong with this...

1. It's on a subdomain. It's hosted on some Australian forum.
2. Offers homebrew, nothing announced like that before?
3. No chip picture.
4. Looks like someone spent 5 minutes on the layout.
5. A USB dongle? Seems unlikely
6. 128MB of memory? Seems unlikely.
7. Professional modchip, but not enough money for a domain name?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I would like such a situation to exist bttfpromo has said just about everything I would.

Then again the r4 (and nearly every other flashcart company for that matter) in terms of site design is not that much better and look where that is, also a good hardware designer does not mean a good website designer.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rubbish:

128MB firmware chip / recovery Mode
512mb onboard storage flash
professional japan made PCB and components

I never hear any modchip that quality
whoever made that site It just a mod-wii spam.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My favorite part is that it has all these features but it's just "quicksolder + 4 wires" install.

Which, by the way, was ripped from an old version of the Wiikey site.

Gawd I can't wait for the Wiikey to come out. I have a feeling that'll be the chip I end up getting. I just hope there are no new Wii hardware revisions in the next two months...

openchip

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nds.truedram.org
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Let's see what's wrong with this...

1. It's on a subdomain. It's hosted on some Australian forum.
2. Offers homebrew, nothing announced like that before?
3. No chip picture.
4. Looks like someone spent 5 minutes on the layout.
5. A USB dongle? Seems unlikely
6. 128MB of memory? Seems unlikely.
7. Professional modchip, but not enough money for a domain name?

sounds like real fake, but:

USB dongle is not so impossible
128MB memory is also not so impossible

question is what todo with that amound of memory?
maybe can play games in the DVD drive controller?

goomba

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
^ What's so impossible about this is that it's an optical drive hack, and apparently it gives you a boatload of new features that are actually controlled by the BIOS. Fact is, you can not *possibly* crack virtual console encryption from the DVD drive. Also, from what I understand, the Wii doesn't have the *codecs* for DVD-video playback. You cannot just magically make a console that wasn't made to play DVD videos begin to play them with any sort of chip. It's like trying to play a VCD on a discman. Not going to happen.

The USB dongle may appear possible, sure, but with that chip layout there's no way the USB could interface with it. There are only two ways to make the chip read the USB: 1) Wire a USB port directly to the chip, 2) Hack the Wii firmware to route information to the chip from the USB ports. The former is impossible because there are not enough solder points on the chip, and the latter is impossible because the Wii firmware has not been hacked (and don't count on it for a long while, if ever.)

Mienaikage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate all this negativity, sure it may be fake, but why don't you wait and see what happens first? If it's fake, then it will simply disappear, and nothing will come of it, and if it's real, you'll feel like a complete moron for doubting it. Just be patient and wait for them to give more info.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hate all this negativity, sure it may be fake, but why don't you wait and see what happens first? If it's fake, then it will simply disappear, and nothing will come of it, and if it's real, you'll feel like a complete moron for doubting it. Just be patient and wait for them to give more info.

Hi, welcome to the internet. This place is made for flaming and doubting.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
Smells fishy two things that we actually badly want and they come together in one chip DVD Support and Wii homebrew Hmmm! You think all of the Wii Hackers would be getting close to this point or something already then bam out of nowhere these guys find out how to do it.
Hmm!
Hmmmmmmm!

< < < < <

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

Yeah, let's keep quiet when we discover something suspicious. That's what we should do.
wacko.gif

Reading your comment it's obvious that you don't understand how the Wii and any other console works. If you did, you'd know that there's no way in HELL that the DVD firmware has ANYTHING at all to do with loading VC games.

Mienaikage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, let's keep quiet when we discover something suspicious. That's what we should do.
wacko.gif

Reading your comment it's obvious that you don't understand how the Wii and any other console works.

I'd just like to state that I never claimed I knew anything about the Wii hardware. If it's suspicious to you then thats great, but they're not asking us for money so nobody's losing anything. There was no need for you to attack me
sleep.gif

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
^ What's so impossible about this is that it's an optical drive hack, and apparently it gives you a boatload of new features that are actually controlled by the BIOS. Fact is, you can not *possibly* crack virtual console encryption from the DVD drive. Also, from what I understand, the Wii doesn't have the *codecs* for DVD-video playback. You cannot just magically make a console that wasn't made to play DVD videos begin to play them with any sort of chip. It's like trying to play a VCD on a discman. Not going to happen.

The USB dongle may appear possible, sure, but with that chip layout there's no way the USB could interface with it. There are only two ways to make the chip read the USB: 1) Wire a USB port directly to the chip, 2) Hack the Wii firmware to route information to the chip from the USB ports. The former is impossible because there are not enough solder points on the chip, and the latter is impossible because the Wii firmware has not been hacked (and don't count on it for a long while, if ever.)

From the website:
Quicksolder? So the chip is easy to install? - Unfortunately no. The quicksolder points only control the Drive hacks, 4 additional wires need to be soldered into other areas of the console to enable the USB dongle's functionality.

So it looks like more that a dvd drive hack, just thought I'd point that out. It does sound too good to be true however.

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Most people here don't understand any hardware talk so I can understand that they didn't believe it was fake by reading the specs. But reading the rest of their site any sane person not using drugs will realize that it's fake.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I've read the article on WiiXT on Engadget.

apparently the WiiXT also promises region-free DVD playback (wait, huh?),

Apparently the Engadget staff doesn't know that movie DVDs are region locked as well.
Oh well.
rolleyes.gif

richardfong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you know i dont think the mod chip is all that crazy.. the extra claims are to play import games and movie dvds but they say that this will be through their own bios style menu and that the chip is NOT just a dvd drive mod/hack. The other features are fairly identical to the other mod chips around at the moment. The only thing im unsure on is the virtual console games.. As they seem to be a low budget and relatively small group im starting to think that its not only going to be months before its finished but a long time until they actually manage to distribute it..

maybe im just being pesamistic..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout