WiiU USB Storage - Type

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by leerz, Nov 11, 2016.

1. leerz
    OP

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    So, I just got in this new USB Loader thing for the WiiU

and I'm curious as how it manages the USB Drive

1. it formats the drive
    2. The drive becomes a raw partition - (basically windows cannot identify its fs)

has anyone tried to fiddle with the partition?
    perhaps maybe put the nus grabbed files there (then just install the tiks later)

this was poppedd in my quick search, I didn't dig too much.
    http://wiiubrew.org/wiki//dev/uhs#USB_Descriptors
    http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Category:Wii_U_Filesystem

2. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    The drive becomes encrypted (assuming with your private key) so you won't be able to just mess with it just yet.

3. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Well how would you put the nus grabbed files onto the drive when a PC can't read a wiiu formated drive??

4. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    We have OTP and IOSU if it's encrypted we can decrypt :\

5. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    Adelaide, South Australia
    @NWPlayer123 managed to decrypt her HDD, though its still in a filesystem that Windows itself can't read. She was able to see certain files using a Hex editor, though.

KiiWii likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't find that encouraging, which means filesystems will pretty much forever be a beeotch to deal with.

7. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    I know it's probably really dumb, but I always thought it was cool how I can have tons of games on my Wii U USB, and yet Windows thinks the USB is a completely empty and formatted as RAW.

8. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    PS3 file system only recently got readable. (In comparison to its life time)

Give it time ;)

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Windows likes to make up stuff about file systems. "RAW" doesn't mean anything; it just means Windows doesn't know what it is. Similarly, it likes to refer to CDs as "CDFS" when in fact "CDFS" isn't a thing; the actual file system is ISO-9660.

Historical sidenote: The old MS-DOS fdisk utility deliberately zeroed out the first 512 bytes when creating a new partition, making it impossible to properly recover a deleted MBR because re-creating the partition table would destroy the file systems.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, Nov 11, 2016 - Reason: +sidenote
  10. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Did she did she really Nikki is the biggest shit poster in the wiiu screen I don't trust anything she says. She has faked so much information in the past.

11. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    WE can decrypt?
    Well then do it.

12. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    need SEEPROM along with the OTP, encrypt the seed in SEEPROM with the USB key in the OTP (I think at 0x130, check wiiubrew for locations of both) with aes-128-ecb which has no iv and use -nopad -nosalt, should spit out a 128 byte key, use that with aes-128-cbc on your drive to hopefully decrypt it, also it's not that bad once you figure out the structure lmao, it's possible to just mount it to your system e.g. wfuse http://wit.wiimm.de/wfuse/

DrCrygor07, leerz and Irastris like this.
  13. leerz
    OP

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    Thanks!, I'll read those, I was feeling it need some ways to decrypt it. (e.g like in 3ds, xorpads to mess with nand backups) -

so, what is the FS like? is it close to wbfs? or some proprietary nintendo fs?

it will be groundbreaking to have a tool to directly copy the contents to the usb and just use wud mod for the tiks :)

never knew the games installed will show up as Legit games, I was surprised.

14. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    I haven't looked at WBFS but the SDK names it as WFS and it uses the same thing on NAND/eMMC and I think the vWii VC stuff too, it shouldn't be that difficult tbh, it'll look like what you can see in wupserver, nodes for each thing with subfolders

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Wii U's file system is definitely not WBFS. WBFS is barely even a file system.

It's a quickly thrown-together way to save space on Wii backups with no support for a hierarchical file structure.

leerz likes this.