WiiU or Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by problues99, Dec 8, 2015.

?

Should I buy a Wii unit or a WiiU unit off the secondhand market?

1. Wii U

2. Wii

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. problues99
    OP

problues99 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2008
    United States
    I've been out of the Wii homebrew/backups scene for about 6 years now. Originally I was pulled in by the ability to create custom Guitar Hero discs with FoF and other songs. (some may recognize my username, I also go by Humor4Fun in some areas). At the time, I worked on the GHOST tool, put FlatMii, DriveKey and WiiKey modchips in a handful of consoles, and installed all sorts of stuff onto Wiis. But after I graduated college, I had to get a real job, the hobby was lost, and my hardware was sold.

Now I want to get back into it. I miss playing Guitar Hero with all the thousands of songs that I had on all those custom discs I made (I probably even still have the ISOs stored away). Question is...Should I buy a Wii unit or a WiiU unit off the secondhand market? I see that there was recently a kernel exploit published for the WiiU which is fantastic for the homebrew/backup scene. I also read there

What recommendations does everyone have? and Why?

I'm fairly certain that all I'm really interested in is using a USB Loader to boot games off a hard drive. Being able to boot them off a network drive would be even better. I've got a fairly substantial library of Wii and Gamecube backups (that I dumped myself, obviously!) along with the more important and interesting Custom Guitar Hero discs. Is there something new that I'm missing that would be a better way of doing this? Is there super cool new tech/software that I haven't read about?

I'm kinda leaning toward Wii U because it still retains the USB Loader vWii system, and yet is more future proof (kernel exploit just released, HDMI video out, not to mention the Wii U system itself).

2. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    I think you should wait for the nintendo NX. We have wii emulator dolphin (it run perfect) and wii u emulator cemu (it isn't run perfect but it is too young, 3-4 mounth later we can play wii u games :))

3. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    get a wii u

i was over a year late and by now the library of games is great!

anyone saying wait for NX must have a crystal ball, because we know almost nothing about it. yes there is a wiiu emu but likely YEARS away from running 3d games at close to full speed

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    If your PC can handle it use Dolphin if you want Gamecube and Wii games just get a Wii.

5. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Wii U = Want Wii U games, wii games, gamecube games, and emulators, and don't mind spending 200-250 bucks or so
    Wii = Don't care about Wii U games, just want wii games, gamecube games, and emulators, and want to save money by spending 30-70 bucks
    Neither=Just want to play wii games on down, and have a fancy computer to emulate them all, and spend 20-30 on wiimotes/bluetooth

6. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Wii U.. You won't be disappointed..

7. problues99
    OP

problues99 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2008
    United States
    I'm really just interested in getting GH customs back up and running. From what I've read, Dolphin can't really do GH because of audio/video syncing issues.

8. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    If you like the old Guitar Hero .. get a Wii.
    I dont think the vWii and the Wii are the same.
    Similar, but not the same.