Hacking Wiiu Nand Dump

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that ... everything they built, either software or hardware is based of work that was already available from peeps who figured it out on their own.
T-X might have realy invented stuff back in the original XBOX' days, but the 360 scene was built from homebrew coders.

So I doubt that when I tell them to take a look at the Wii (U) NAND, that they can say something about that :D
We need someone here with Wii coding expertise who knows his way around messing with certain registers.

Preferbly someone who coded stuff specifically for vWii before, because I have a feeling that NAND_UNK does something different on vWii than on a real Wii.
Would be cool if @Marionumber1 have a few more ideas about that ... I'm just thinking out loud here.

On the Wii, boot2 writes 1 to it when reloading to a new IOS. vWii has no boot2, so it makes sense that they might use NAND_UNK for bank switching instead of whatever it was before. If I had to guess, writing a 1 would switch to the Wii U bank, but I haven't tried this.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Wii, boot2 writes 1 to it when reloading to a new IOS. vWii has no boot2, so it makes sense that they might use NAND_UNK for bank switching instead of whatever it was before. If I had to guess, writing a 1 would switch to the Wii U bank, but I haven't tried this.

Do you see possible bricks when doing so ?

And will those bits stay changed during runtime?
I'm thinking of a seperate app which first flips that UNK bit and then exits to the HBC from where you can launch the NAND dumper application which people already use to dump the vWii NAND.

Last edited by FR0ZN,
Reactions: KiiWii

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you see possible bricks when doing so ?

And will those bits stay changed during runtime?
I'm thinking of a seperate app which first flips that UNK bit and then exits to the HBC from where you can launch the NAND dumper application which people already use to dump the vWii NAND.

As long as you're not writing, I can't envision any bricks. The idea for a separate application setting NAND_UNK would work fine, and as far as I know, HBC applications with AHBPROT can use the NAND registers, so it would be a simple application.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you're not writing, I can't envision any bricks. The idea for a separate application setting NAND_UNK would work fine, and as far as I know, HBC applications with AHBPROT can use the NAND registers, so it would be a simple application.

Nice ... now let's find a capable Wii coder :D

EDIT: I gave @Maxternal a PM drawing him towards this thread and the findings. In the hopes he is interested in extending "Dump Mii NAND" with a feature that switches NAND banks.

Last edited by FR0ZN,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
assuming it is possible to dump the wiiu nand from within vwii, i assume you could use the same method to restore/downgrade it too from 5.5.0+ (assuming nothing changes down the line and obviously not for the faint hearted )....then all we would need to worry about is a emmc restore right? which *should* be easier to work out than the nand stuff

frositay

Trophies
XP
Country
Bit of a long shot but is anyone willing to perform an eMMC & NAND dump (with keys if possible, regardless if all 3 are encrypted or not) on their WiiU and upload the images somewhere i.e. Dropbox and PM the link to me? I only ask because my dissertation is on modern games console artefacts from a digital forensic perspective. I would do it myself but I do not have immediate access to a WiiU (or soldering skills for that matter! :P)

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help me out here! :)

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bit of a long shot but is anyone willing to perform an eMMC & NAND dump (with keys if possible, regardless if all 3 are encrypted or not) on their WiiU and upload the images somewhere i.e. Dropbox and PM the link to me? I only ask because my dissertation is on modern games console artefacts from a digital forensic perspective. I would do it myself but I do not have immediate access to a WiiU (or soldering skills for that matter! :P)

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help me out here! :)
Ofc they are encrypted lol

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkMatterCore is currently preparing a test app to see if this can be done just like that. I'm also waiting for him to answer a PM.
We might need a few testers, since I currently don't have access to my Wii U.

Maybe we will also start a new thread so we keep the hardware approach seperated from the software one.

But as I said, I'm also still waiting for him :D

Reactions: JoseUg
D

Deleted User

Willing to test this out for
@DarkMatterCore is currently preparing a test app to see if this can be done just like that. I'm also waiting for him to answer a PM.
We might need a few testers, since I currently don't have access to my Wii U.

Maybe we will also start a new thread so we keep the hardware approach seperated from the software one.

But as I said, I'm also still waiting for him :D

Ill test. Let me know, thanks.

D

Deleted User

Well I would love to test it as well, but he doesn't answer anymore :(
If you want you can try and spam @DarkMatterCore, but to me it seems like he is not interested anymore.
He comes online but doesn't answer for weeks now :/

Thanks bud. Sent him a PM. I'm going to keep digging.

eddysalim

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi , when i use my solder pencil for accident desolder r30, r29 r28, r31 y r27 and lost these resistances, its posible that anyone can help me , and pass me the R values .
i appreciate your help. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160325_1511383_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20160325_1511383_rewind.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 421

recgame77

Trophies
XP
Country
Cameroon
ok i wanted to test tsop / emmc dump until i read this post again :) Is there anybody that succedded based on the wiki pinouts ?

consolex

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you link me which one you've bought? :)

--- Edit: ---
Ok, I've purchased this one:
Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader 8 in 1

Once I get it in the mail I can test it again.
Did you use the WiiUBrew method, or the one from Reboot.ms?

--- Edit 2: ---
Time for some pictures, while waiting for the new card reader...
I removed my old set up, which was a bit different, along with a lot of hot glue. But it was no biggy, gotta love hot glue. :)

Now I've set up the following new 'dual' set up: (WiiUBrew and reboot.ms method... no hot glue)
lBuPwhx.jpg

7PTa8SN.jpg

3uBOaiU.jpg

94OHWv4.jpg

ZbfiSuC.jpg

92QYrDb.jpg

lLsPDkU.jpg

zmXRRE9.jpg

5ToRLxf.jpg

J7KIPyo.jpg

c1amTSL.jpg

n7NJ0u2.jpg

The hole in the shield was made so I could test the points with my Multimeter for the set up I had on the other side.. the one with a lot of hot glue. :P

The purple, white and brown wire are there to make the mod complete according to WiiUbrew.
Therefore there also is a 50k resistor connected between vcc and Data3 on the SD Card.

--- Edit 3: ---
Closing it up:
Vgb8QDn.jpg

DtZmfJs.jpg

HwQ0uCR.jpg

The wire is bit long, so to make the sliding cover I have to modify the case some more or think of something else to make it 'stealth'. :) (Like I actually had before)

--- Edit 4: ---
Where can I get a Infectus NAND dumper in the EU?
I would like to make/restore a Wii NAND dump too, to make downgrading possible?

--- Edit 5: ---
@hashcheck1
I saw over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-nand-backup-possible-i-hope.381506/page-38#post-5589987
That you also used a similar card reader like I have in my pictures. I know there are a few variants of this one, I just wonder If you also have the Intergral version of it?

And, ofcourse, does it work for you on the Wii U eMMC?
I have USB Flasher Chipset GL827L compatible old 3DS and full New3DS.
It does not work on WiiU why ????
You use resistor why ???

taikyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good Afternoon, I would like a help, I lost my backup files from the nand of wiiu and my wiiu corrupted and does not start the system, I need the nand files because I will insert into the system memory by means of a sd reader and solder on the board more I need the nand backup files, I would like to know if you would like to send me the nand backup file so I can save my wiiu, thank you very much

my email

[email protected]

Witalka_Shelby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good Afternoon, I would like a help, I lost my backup files from the nand of wiiu and my wiiu corrupted and does not start the system, I need the nand files because I will insert into the system memory by means of a sd reader and solder on the board more I need the nand backup files, I would like to know if you would like to send me the nand backup file so I can save my wiiu, thank you very much

my email

[email protected]
if you want restore somone others nand i thinks that´s not possible.. you need your NAND Backup for restoring..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer