WiiU Homebrew Development

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by deformyer, Jun 18, 2015.

1. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Does the Wii U have some kind of Linux on it? And if so, can it use devkitPro?

2. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    There's technically a tri-core version that runs in the vWii; but nothing in Wii U mode. I suspect it'll stay that way for a while.

3. kprovost7314

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    And does it run devkitPro?

4. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    I doubt it. iirc devkitPro doesn't even work on ARM hosts, let alone PowerPC. Then again, the native gcc might work fine. It depends on what you need, I suppose.

5. kprovost7314

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Really just looking for 3DS dev with devkitARM but can't currently compile on my Windows laptop and my Chromebook.

6. Gamer4647

Gamer4647 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2016
    Which would be a good place to start with Wii U Homebrew? I just got a replacement console to try out the stuff currently available

*no response D:*

Last edited by Gamer4647, Apr 1, 2017
  7. Maxbeta

Maxbeta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    Hello. I am currently learning to use Media Fusion 2 and recently started developing an idea towards my very first game.

Would it be feasible to eventually create a port for homebrew on Wii U from my final product on Windows and what would I need to create such a port besides the Windows source?

Any help is appreciated.

8. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    It really depends on what frameworks you use to create your game on PC.
    For example, those who pay attention would know that the SDK contains a compiler for Unity projects, as well as HTML, Javascript and CSS (the Web Framework).
    In terms of Media Fusion 2, it doesn't seem that you get access to your program's source code, and as such I doubt software made with this tool can be ported to Wii U.

9. SapphireBulletBill

SapphireBulletBill Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    United States
    Can you guys add Wii U Pro Controller support to the menus so I can select apps through that?
    I don't want to have to use the Gamepad or a frickin' Wiimote.

10. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Ask @dimok for that feature.

11. Ryuzaki_MrL

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    I'm getting an error with libxml2 whenever I try to compile a homebrew that uses it.

Code:
    .../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlGetEncodingAlias':
    c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1017: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
    c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1017: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
    .../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlAddEncodingAlias':
    c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1052: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
    c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1052: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
    .../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o): In function `xmlParseCharEncoding':
    c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: undefined reference to `__ctype_ptr__'
    .../libxml2/lib\libxml2.a(encoding.o):c:\libxml2-2.9.4/encoding.c:1154: more undefined references to `__ctype_ptr__' follow

Do anyone got a clue on what could be causing this?

12. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    You're using DevKitPPC r29 instead of r27.

CreeperMario likes this.
  13. Pikachuk

Pikachuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2016
    France
    Bordeaux
    I wonder if a kind of C# wrapper or homebrew port of monodevelop for wii u will exist one day, would be cool to develop homebrews
    with C#

14. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Hello I have a few questions about when it comes to Wii U development:
    1. To compile the OTP to SD card dumper, I am assuming that this tool would require the modified libogc and portlibs libraries that and libwiiu to compile.
    2. If I want to compile wut, using stock devkitPPC should be fine, right?
    3. I remember hearing that there were problems when it comes to C++ support in wut, is that still true (I rather use C++ to make use of classes).

15. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    1. I wouldn't actually know. I would assume that, because it needs to run a payload on the IOSU, that you would probably need devkitARM installed in addition to devkitPPC.
    2. To compile WUT, you will need a clean devkitPPC, yes (versions 27-29 should work, however some homebrew will only compile on version 27) but you will also need a native compiler set your your computer (if your using Windows, install Visual Studio: Community Edition 2015 or later, if you're using macOS install the Xcode Command Line Tools (or the full Xcode package) or if you're using Linux, install the native compilers using your local package manager, e.g. the build-essentials package on Debian-based distros).
    3. As far as I know, C++ language features work (classes and stuff) but the standard library (anything specific to C++ that has to be #included) does not.

CuriousTommy likes this.
  16. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Good to know that classes should work fine! It, however, sucks that standard C++ libraries don't work... this means I have to make use of the cstring library instead.

Perfect! I am modifying a docker container to add support for the Wii U. I was worried that I would have to sacrifice Wii and Gamecube support to add Wii U support, but I am glad that is not the case.

You are right, it requires it in the arm_user and arm_kernel makefile. I am going to make a special docker container and see if I can compile it with the additional libraries.

Last edited by CuriousTommy, May 12, 2017
  17. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Is there a place where I can learn how to code for Wii U or nah?
    I recall @QuarkTheAwesome and @CreeperMario mentioning something about that iirc.

18. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    I would personally suggest learning the basics of the C language before coming to the Wii U, as it might make your life a little easier. You can also use C++, but that only fully works when making ELF programs for the Homebrew Launcher - WUT's use of C++ is limited, so your mileage may vary.

After that, @QuarkTheAwesome was working on a tutorial, that so far explains (in appropriate detail) what goes into making a "hello world" program on Wii U.
    Other than that, I would suggest looking at the source code for simpler projects like Pong (HBL or WUT), and my HBL port of C@VE (sorry if the code for C@VE looks messy, I would be responsible for that).

Felek666 likes this.
  19. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Is it possible to make another Wii U gamepad same as Pro controller? Just pick up a Wii U from garage sale with 2 game pad (1 with broken screen), so curious.

Last edited by tivu100, May 21, 2017
    ShadowOne333 likes this.