Wiiu Freezes on smashstack hack.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by mckenziesdaddy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mckenziesdaddy
    OP

mckenziesdaddy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    Tonight I got my WiiU and my copy of smash brothers. I grabbed my 2GB SD card, I copied over smash stack and BOOT.ELF from boot me. I updated the WiiU like it asked me to, So I could get to the vWii. Then I disconnect my Wi-Fi. I put in smash brothers and boot it up, I do not let it make any save files. I get to the main menu and then I push my SD card in and select level builder. it searches for like 3 seconds, Then the screen freezes and nothing happens. It get a high pitch sound from the game, So does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Or what could be causing this? I have tried 2 different SD cards.

2. mckenziesdaddy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
  3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Are you using a non-SDHC card? Tried reformatting with sdformatter? That's all the help I can give.

4. mckenziesdaddy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    FAT32 correct?

5. Snailface

Sep 20, 2010
    Yea.
    Also, take all that extra stuff out. Just the elf and App folder.

6. Snailface

Sep 20, 2010
    Better yet, follow this video.

7. mckenziesdaddy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    Followed it, Re-downloaded everything. stage builder says no save file found and locks up and still doesn't boot. I have tried 2 different 2GB cards and same thing.

8. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Did you remember to leave the SD card out until you booted up Brawl? The Wii U will mess with your Smash Stack files if it detects it outside of Wii mode.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  9. mckenziesdaddy
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    York,PA
    I am not inserting my SD card til I am on the main menu for smash. Then I go into level builder, It says I have no save file. So I click continue, and it goes to stage select then hangs and a loud buzzing noise. Tomorrow I will go out and get LEGO Indiana Jones, But did Nintendo block this already?

10. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    That guys video only says to delete custom stages. There are also sample stages. Did you remember to delete them as well?

11. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    Another thing to consider is also make sure that you have the proper files. something that I noticed I actually have the Japanese version super smash bros when it came down to this hack and had the same issue. Go figure.

12. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Yep I wouldnt be surprised if trigger_ftu is correct. Make sure its the right region version for the hack.

13. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    It looks like you're using prepared files from a guide but, it doesn't look like there are SmashStack files in that "copytoSD.rar". I can't decipher what's inside that private folder but anyway.

The only things you need on your SD card are: (the correct region) SmashStack (in the private folder) and the hackmii installer (boot.elf).

14. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Files are on the SD card for US version (they are all in the zip, look closer in COPY TO SD\private\wii\app\rsbe\st\st_080805_0933.bin)

They are the same as those on wiibrew and the boot.elf is the good one (Hackmii installer 1.2)

Just need to know if the game is US version...

15. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
  16. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Well yes and no, maybe the Wii U is not a US version (so nor the game) but the SD is prepared for a US WiiU.

17. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    Ah, I see. If you go to the Wii U Menu, select System Settings and the current menu version is shown in the top right corner. If you see a U, it's USA, J - Japan, E - Europe. http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/System_Software

18. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    I know, it's mckenziesdaddy who needs to check ;)
    I only confirm that he was using a card prepared for a US version of the Wii U (I checked the files)
    It's now up to him to tell us what it is ! He never told us what kind of WiiU he owned...

19. Bi0Hazrd

Bi0Hazrd Advanced Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Canada
    Quebec
    Freezing is notmal it's written in the faq. Just be sure all custom stages and samples are deleted and try again. I think it took me 7-8 reboot before a successful hack

20. xcalibro

xcalibro Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    i found the solution

don't insert the sd card just yet
    first of all delete the brawl saves (in the wiiu options menu).
    then load brawl make sure that you dont create a savefile.
    Then delete all of the pre-loaded custom stages.
    then make sure that you use the no savefile file for Europe (on your sd card).
    then make sure you are in the main brawl menu.
    insert the sd card now and enter the level builder menu.

It should work now.

Sorry i posted this from my mobile and English is not my first language
    hope it helps

In short delete all the brawl savefiles then start a new game without creating a savefile and follow the instructions for the smashstack.