Wiirtual Boy

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by wiisixtyfour, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Actually, this annoying reddish palette is not visible when using stereoscopic 3D glasses ( plain, old red/blue glasses ).
    In fact, using the glasses the red gets filtered, and so the blue, so the image comes pretty close to what I used to see on the plain good ol' Gameboy mono.
    Furthermore, the 3D effect is the best I've seen with those old fashioned glasses, maybe because of the limited numbers of colours on the screen, there is very,very little ghosting !
    I used the same red/blue glasses that I used to play Attack of the Movies 3D, but with much better result.
    The framerate needs to be improved a little, but over all a very solid emulator.
    I really like so far Wario Land and Vertical force.
    It's like finding a long lost treasure........[​IMG]

2. Sir_Voe

Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    W00T! Got a delivery today [​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

The 3D effect is pretty nice. Red Alarm is a bit too busy: making your eyes adjust a little too often for the red/cyan 3D method, But the majority of games are really cool to play with them. I'd recommend picking up a pair if you want to get the most out of this emu.

3. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Nov 1, 2007
    the land of lol
    You can't exit the app with a GC Pad perhaps the GC Pad START should be put to exit the same as the HOME button.

Anyway.... cool stuff [​IMG]

4. OArikadoO

OArikadoO GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    Didn't you try pressing Z? [​IMG]

5. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Nov 1, 2007
    the land of lol
    I did now [​IMG]

Maybe print HOME/Z = Exit for stoopid people like myself ?

Also some error handling needed...
    If you go to open a save state and one is not there, then press A, code dump.
    If you go to load a cartridge and one is not there, then press A, code dump.

No other settings gave me a code dump going through them trying all options. [​IMG]

*Random Link Time*
    There were only 22 games for the Virtual Boy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Boy_games

*IMPORTANT EDIT*
    OArikadoO, I think you should get THIS GUY on the team, it could be EPIC ! ! ! [​IMG]

6. raz0red

raz0red Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2009
    United States
    Good catch! Thanks.

--Raz.

7. Sir_Voe

Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    delete

8. raz0red

raz0red Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, the pre-release had quite a bit of sound cracking. It has been mostly eliminated from the version that will be released this weekend.

--Raz.

9. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    I've tried mednafen before on my hdtv with red/blue glasses, worked kinda but I think the lines are just too far apart when scaled so high. least I still have my vboy

10. Arnold Schwarzen

Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    We need this shit on the 3DS! It'd be best Nintendo release all the best Virtual Boy games on the 3DS Virtual Console.

11. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    Got to play this a little last night... don't have glasses laying around, but the 2d worked fantastic. It was great to play some of these games on a large TV.

12. OArikadoO

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    Seriously, try our emulator. Scaling things from your PC to display on your HDTV usually doesn't look good at all. Our emulator is properly scaled.

13. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    mednafen, the emulator whose core is used in wiirtual boy, is quite capable of mainting proper aspect ratio.

14. OArikadoO

Dec 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    This is cool:
    [youtube]-I9GlLjcJyQ[/youtube]

15. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Nice emulator! ^.^

What could I say about it. It runs great uhm yeah [​IMG]

Also a 3DS release of an old VB game would be great!

16. seam

seam GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2011
    United States
    austin texas
    just wanted to say THANKS raz0red and OArikadoO for making this happen! mednafen is the best emulator to play virtual boy on, and now to have a port of it for the wii is just awesome. hope a few nice forwarders get created for this port soon(ill be using the mastershoes one in the meantime) [​IMG]

17. Jacobeian

Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    Cool emulator port, always nice to have new ones to play with and new devs taking care of the Wii scene !

I know this does not belong to this thread but, speaking of Mednafen, now that you probably got the source pretty well in hands, have you thought in later porting the PCE emulator as well ? It's probably the most accurate/compatible open-source PCE emulator out there, more than Hugo on which HugoGX and WiiEngine are both based.

18. cloudskipa

cloudskipa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2010
    UK
    I concur, Mednafen is my favourite emulator for PC Engine, it would be a amazing to see the Wii get a port of it!

19. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    thanks for the update!!

20. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I have a suggestion (I assume you haven't got this, I can't run the emulator - no hbc) --

an option to change the colors of the red and blue/green. not everyone's glasses will be exactly the same shades, so an option to change how bright the colors are would be good.

- method -
    Red -- place a red block on a white background, have the user close their other eye (so they are only looking through red) and press up/down to change the R value of the red block until it is invisible against the white. Then check to see that the block can still be seen through the other eye.
    Blue -- same as red but with other eye and change the B.
    Green -- same but with G.
    Cyan -- same but with B+G.

?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted