Hardware wiimote and Nunchuk problem

youxi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've searched around to see if anyone has the same problem and it seems I've got an unusual problem with my wiimote.

I've got a Korean wii loaded with US firmware 3.4. It was softmodded when we bought it.

The wiimote pointer works perfectly well in games, menus, homebrew, etc, but in games requiring the nunchuk the on-screen pointer will stop working after a few minutes of play and then will usually work again if you unplug the nunchuk and plug it back in. Other than the pointer the controller still works ie. in mario galaxy I can run around and jump.
It makes it so I can't play first person shooters, and playing Galaxy and Zelda can get extremely frustrating, but not impossible to play.
hate2.gif

The problem showed up immediately when we got the Wii home, I tested it with both and I believe it happens with both wiimotes (though I can't confirm since one wiimote has since ceased working except for flashing lights when the sync button is pressed)

2. the second wiimote isn't working, except for if I hit the sync button when I turn on the Wii it will light up the first player light and I can use the + and - buttons to scroll around the Wii menu, but the pointer doesn't show up.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for any help you can offer.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
do you have a friend with a Wii that can let you test your Wiimotes there, cause the pointer is probably fault of the sensor bar, but the sync is fault of the bluetooth module, if you test them as working on any friend's Wii, then it is your Wii the one failling, if the problem is still there even in your friend's Wii....then you know it is your Wiimotes the ones failling....!!!
smile.gif

youxi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ether2802 said:
do you have a friend with a Wii that can let you test your Wiimotes there, cause the pointer is probably fault of the sensor bar, but the sync is fault of the bluetooth module, if you test them as working on any friend's Wii, then it is your Wii the one failling, if the problem is still there even in your friend's Wii....then you know it is your Wiimotes the ones failling....!!!
smile.gif

Thanks for the tips, certainly a good idea to test on a friends Wii (to be scientific and all). Unfortunately I don't have any friends with Wiis. I'll see what other options I can come up with.

I was initially afraid that it was an issue with all soft-modded Wiis , and was surprised to find no one talking about the problems I've been having with mine.

anyway, I've got my fingers crossed and hope it's something that can be fixed reasonably cheap and easy.

youxi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
So we bought a new Wiimote and nunchuk...

and they're having problems too. what am I doing wrong?

Is it time to buy a triwing screwdriver and go poking around inside my Wii?

I'm at my wits end, the new wiimote is exhibiting different problems than the old one. The new one worked for an hour last night when I played The Conduit, but now it doesn't have a pointer at all even in the system menu, but it did work for a while when I pressed the home button and told it to reconnect the wiimotes. Is this just a sync problem with the new one? I've tried re-syncing a few times and I'm not entirely sure I did it right.

Is this a soft-modding problem, or a hardware problem? Should I go and change firmware or something I bought the Wii already soft-modded? I noticed when I was looking at my Wii that one screw was missing (under the flap for gamecube controllers) and I think that's cuz the people I bought it from most have been messing around with it.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the Wiimote that just flashes when you hit the sync button is that it needs to be synced. If pressing the sync button on the Wii, then the one on the Wiimote doesn't fix it, then hold down the sync button on the Wii for several seconds (I think 10, can't remember) and it will desync all of your remotes, then you can just sync them again.

As for your problem with the pointer disappearing, given the fact that it's happened with more than 1 remote, and that the buttons and nunchuk still work, I am almost positive that your sensor bar is the issue, not the remotes. Try moving your sensor bar to a better position where it's out of direct light, and in a spot where your Wiimote can 'see' it at all times. If that doesn't fix it, perhaps you need a new sensor bar; it could have a bad connection or the leds could be faulty. You can test the leds by looking at the sensor bar (when the Wii is on) through the viewscreen of a digital camera. It can see IR, and you'll clearly see two purple lights on each end of the bar. If any of them is duller, or out, then you've got a problem. Check it next time your pointers disappear and won't come back.

It's not a softmod issue, I don't believe. Never heard of such a thing as a result of modding. Bricking a system so the remotes don't work at ALL, yes, but making them shoddy and unreliable? No.

youxi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
imapterodactyl said:
The problem with the Wiimote that just flashes when you hit the sync button is that it needs to be synced. If pressing the sync button on the Wii, then the one on the Wiimote doesn't fix it, then hold down the sync button on the Wii for several seconds (I think 10, can't remember) and it will desync all of your remotes, then you can just sync them again.

As for your problem with the pointer disappearing, given the fact that it's happened with more than 1 remote, and that the buttons and nunchuk still work, I am almost positive that your sensor bar is the issue, not the remotes. Try moving your sensor bar to a better position where it's out of direct light, and in a spot where your Wiimote can 'see' it at all times. If that doesn't fix it, perhaps you need a new sensor bar; it could have a bad connection or the leds could be faulty. You can test the leds by looking at the sensor bar (when the Wii is on) through the viewscreen of a digital camera. It can see IR, and you'll clearly see two purple lights on each end of the bar. If any of them is duller, or out, then you've got a problem. Check it next time your pointers disappear and won't come back.

It's not a softmod issue, I don't believe. Never heard of such a thing as a result of modding. Bricking a system so the remotes don't work at ALL, yes, but making them shoddy and unreliable? No.
seems as though it was the wiimote that was shoddy and unreliable. The new one is having sync issues, but it works, and I played twilight princess last night for 3 hours without any problems with the pointer.

But that does leave the question of why on earth the remote I got with the Wii, and the first one I bought both have problems... even though I'm in China I don't think they're making fake wiimotes, since that's a bit harder than making a fake Louis Vuitton handbag.

anyway, Thanks a lot for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E