esotericsean

OP
Trophies
Website
www.takezer0.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I was just about to order a Wiikey for the Wii I just got for Christmas. I researched and found a good online reseller, looked at the installation instructions and saw how easy it was going to be, but then... I read that the Wiikey is for D2B chipsets!

I frantically run to my living room and yank out the cords of my Wii. I grab the nearest pen and paper (a paper plate and a sharpie) and copy down my serial number. Back at my computer, I enter it in a Wii serial number checker. Noooo! My new Wii has a G2C chipset!

. . .

What am I going to do, guys? Am I really going to have to solder 28 wires and pay $61.50 + shipping and handling for a D2CKey?

cry.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you could for the infectus solution, though i don't know how proven that is - d2c key is 18 wires, and it's probably one of only two/three options you have to install in your wii.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes , you have to use a D2CKEY , if you want to chip now. Another chip is coming called argon which is only 13 wires , but it doesn't have a proven track record like D2CKEY does.

esotericsean

OP
Trophies
Website
www.takezer0.com
XP
Country
United States
Man, the D2C sounds like ten times scarier to install than the Wiikey. Have any of you installed one? I've soldered things before and stuff, but those are some really small wires you have to connect it to.

Thanks for the help, guys
happy.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

mekaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I contacted the fine people at Wlip and they have posted that they are going to have a list of resellers by the 21st of this month where you can purchase the Wlip. Hope they hold to that date. Anyhow from what the web site reports is that they are going to have two versions. Version A is for the non cut legs on the chip and version B for the cut legs on the chip. (I think.) Anyhow in my email they told me they were working on a C version for down the road to work with the new chips (D2C). I not sure but I dont think it is going to be out any time soon. They seem to be a bit slow. They keep on pushing the date back for the version A & B but I hope that means that they are putting more R&D in to them so we have a better product that may stay clipped on and keep good contact. I think the Wlip is a very good Idea and I am going to order mine when it comes out. I lifted two pads when my solder job got botched. The drive works but I am not even going to try to solder on to the legs on the chip. It is such a small leg that with my luck I'll solder two legs together or pop the chip with to much heat. I'm good at soldering but not that good :-) I'll take the easy way out before I do any more damage.
Happy New Year all.

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it sucks no doubt about it. And to be honest, I think if I had to do it again (or if I have any problems) I would not use the flexpcb and just done wires. Easier to test each link and easier to repair and one less thing to go wrong or melt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool